Modifying the lock option (and some explanations)

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Modifying the lock option (and some explanations)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Krankyd, one more follow-up: does this in any way affect the previously communicated state of basemap nodes/segments which show no allowed turns, but in fact are all allowed until an editor makes an adjustment? Do we still need to restrict ALL turns first before setting any allowed turns in order to disable all turns? This is how we've been operating for several months now.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I agree the junctions should be there. Even though this is a signed Exit though, it doesn't fit the documented requirement of ramp type being for graded use only. Though I struggle with thinking it should just be a street type of "ramp" because then it looks silly.

Honestly, in similar areas, I have and would recommend making the exit a major highway type just like the road it runs in to. The verbal prompts for Exit right should still work. It would make the whole interchange look more cohesive, too.

Nanaimo bars are one of my favorite desserts of all time. Yum yum yum.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

The Papyrus version hasn't changed, but it appears this may be working. Hard to say though, because it takes time to find out that the unlock didn't take. Just reloading from the permalink usually shows the lock state changed, but that isn't always reliable.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I'm pretty sure we were told that wasn't a problem as the routing server would use the 1way road over any turn non-restriction and is the exact reason they don't thus show in papyrus. I've not experienced any time when I've been routed the wrong way up a 1way street!

When parking lot roads are involved, I have been routed the wrong way on 1-way segments often. However, turn restrictions would not have an effect here.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby asterix06 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks Dror !
Good question Alan !
Image Image ↖Italian docs
Iphone5 Waze 3.7.8, Asus Nexus 7 Waze 3.7.8
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, Country Manager Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegowina, Tanzania, Botswana
Forum Moderator
asterix06
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:Something's not quite right with that explanation, because the intersection I used as an example in my latest email is actually one that we've had quite a few problems/bugs crop up with over the course of time that I've been using Waze and both someone from the Waze staff and I have edited this intersection many times during those investigations. I know 100% for sure that I personally edited the turn permissions myself last because I wasn't happy with how it was last edited and changed by the Waze staff, and quite some time ago now, (May of last year?) and only recently has it started ignoring turn restrictions there again and routing me against those restrictions.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=59433578

This intersection most definitely had its restrictions set manually by me for every single direction. But it has tried making me turn left from that segment. And has tried making me turn right from this segment:

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=59613739

There are no turns allowed through that intersection from any direction, but Waze has ignored the restrictions lately. Anyways, just to make sure, I removed and reset all restrictions here again just now.
Why are there even junctions there in the first place if you're not allowed to make any turns at those two junctions?
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:Because it is a controlled intersection.
So? All that's done is given an opportunity to overwhelm the turn restrictions, and added supposedly an additional 10s of route time. Without the junctions no such opportunity exists and the average speed over that non-grade-changing ramp would be just fine and account for the stop light delay.

I'd remove those junctions, fix levels, and be done with it, you can't turn so there's no point in them being there.

/well ok, emergency vehicles can and probably do make turns there, but still.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:And then every single time the light goes red there is going to be a traffic warning triggered.
If they don't now, they won't if they're removed.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 am

Shorty-CM wrote:Search the forums for 'slowest 50 meters' and you'll find several instances, such as this from The Fej.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=561&p=12741&hilit=slowest+50+meters#p12741

I didn't just join the Waze community yesterday. ;) So, yes, junctions are important.
gettingthere wrote:
Shorty-CM wrote:How is it I'm the only one that knows about a segment's slowest 50m at junctions?

Source?

Interesting, and is something that really needs to be in the wiki as it gives a strong argument for placing junctions on at-grade railroad crossings. Given this information I'd place 3 junctions, one on each stop line, and raise the level of the crossing segment. Eliminates the issue regardless of any problems with route weighting.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:50 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
Shorty-CM wrote:Go crazy with 'allow all directions' along big, long stretches of highway. For, like, 4 hours, and then cry as you notice this now means that the whole thing allows driving the wrong way. And then spend another 4 hours fixing it in cartouche. Heh. Where 'allow all' works with 1-ways. For one example.

I'm not following...How does "allow all" not work with one-ways in Papyrus?
Using "allow all" (W) in Papyrus causes reverse connectivity onto one-way and no-entrance roads. It's probably not a good thing as turn restrictions and routing against one-way are two different costs.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor