sagi wrote:Parking Lot roads, Parking Lot landmarks and gas station landmarks, all suppress the creation of map problems. If you think that are more road types or landmark types that should have this effect, please let us know.
Although Parking Lot roads only help if there are exactly where the Wazer is driving. Unfortunately if there are enough gps tracks going a slightly different way than where the parking lot roads are drawn, likely to get another map problem.
After a lot of thought and experimenting with different options, I feel that the best option is to mark the map problem as 'not a problem'. There is no routing issue here. A map update is not required.
Hopefully Waze (sagi and team) are working on some type of logic in the map problems layer to stop reporting new problems after they have been marked 'not a problem' a couple of times.
Basically the issue is that Waze is trying to be productive and calling out potential mapping issues with the map problem layer. Great, in some cases there is map problem that is affecting routing and that needs to be corrected.
But in the case of these types of issues (gas stations, convenience stores, etc) there really is no map problem this is affecting the Waze routing. If you set a route to the gas station, it will get you close enough without a parking lot road, landmark or otherwise.
I just worked a couple hundred map problems in the vicinity of Phoenix, AZ. I don't have the exact numbers but maybe 10% - 20% of the map problems were map issue that were affecting navigation. The other 80% - 90% were map problems that are not affecting navigation in Shopping Centers, Gas Stations, Drive-thru's etc. Those I marked as not a problem.
Another thing that I want to draw attention to is that sometimes adding Parking Lots roads actually causes routing problems and confusion. As AlanOfTheBerg and bgodette have posted elsewhere there are issues with adding parking lot roads:
* If they are unnamed, navigation will often tell you turn turn on xyz road, but this road is not the next parking lot segment but a named street later in the route. Confusing to the driver since they are not yet turning on the street that is being announced.
* Parking lot roads have higher penalties than turn restrictions. So in some cases (usually with navigating over multiple parking lot segments) Waze will break a turn restriction to route off the parking lot segments. This is not correct and can be dangerous if the Wazer is not paying attention to the median in the road or the no left turn sign.