How to handle The roads are too far apart ... problem?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: How to handle The roads are too far apart ... problem?

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:55 pm

argus-cronos wrote:what about to set the service road to "no entrance", but in fact i would use the shortcut ;-)

The problems I would anticipate with labeling the road no entrance is that when the road is driven on waze is likely to either automatically change the directionality or to generate the map problem. I also find that waze will route over no entrance roads and haven't really been able to predict when it will and when it won't. The no entrance penalty seems rather weak.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm

That's not how I read the map legends page. I see a difference between a road that runs parrallel to the main road to reach the gas station and the gas station itself. Shouldn't we using a road type that won't be routed over at gas stations on a corner where the gas station could be a short cut to bypass a traffic light or stop sign?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:38 pm

I was under the impression that "Parking Lot" landmarks (not all POIs) suppressed the creation of map problems within their bounds. I was looking back at these discussions viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11235&start=50#p93414 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11566&p=95284 for clarification of what a parking lot landmark does. It doesn't seem very clear.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm

jasonh300 wrote:In reality, it's not a problem. Waze sees traffic driving through there, and wonders if there's a real road missing, and you tell it "no" by checking "not a problem". However, the problem may continually come back.
It seems to me to be problem to the extent that wazers are leaving waze on as they get gas. Without the added road (or parking lot landmark), the GPS data might be assigned to the adjacent road and might effect the routing decisions.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Most often I've been adding a parking lot road through the gas station. I'm not sure what the "best" way to handle the problem is.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bgodette » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:03 am

Nucleardean wrote:I fixed the issue by adding a service road to the entry/exits.
Service Road is identical to Street. Do not use it, ever, as all you've done is told Waze there's this new legal route that bypasses the turn and it will be used by routing and given to users and will cause endless URs. Everything you think Service Road would be used for is covered by Parking Lot, Private, Street, Dirt Road, Primary Street, and Minor Highway.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:29 am

sagi wrote:Actually the parking lot road doesn't have to match your drive exactly. Its enough that the last segment you are snapped to, is a parking lot road. So putting only entrance/exit parking lot road stubs should suffice in repressing map problems.

Interesting, but what happens if you have say a large mall with a large outer ring road, but only 4 or so access point from real streets, and the geometry is such then if you go around the ring you snap to real roads.
IOW your last snap was a Parking Lot, but while still driving around you snap to a real street, drive around a bit more, then snap to another Parking Lot segment.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby argus-cronos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm

CBenson wrote:
argus-cronos wrote:It should not route over no entrance roads or change directionality of the segment when it's locked. i have never experienced this.

There have been a number of instances where I have changed a road that is temporarily closed to no entrance. Many here have chastisted me that such an action is insufficient. And sure enough, if I don't actually disconnect the road, I get update requests regarding the road closure and sometimes can get my own phone to route over the no entrance road.

Strange waze...
I have several walkingtrails here they lead to a bridge with a freeeway on it. As i begun with waze i left these walkingtrails open for both directions. As i tried to navigate to the freeway waze was routing me over these walkingtrails to the freeway. After i locked them to no entrance it never happend again. Another strange story!
argus-cronos

Postby argus-cronos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:05 pm

It should not route over no entrance roads or change directionality of the segment when it's locked. i have never experienced this.
argus-cronos

Postby argus-cronos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:38 pm

what about to set the service road to "no entrance", but in fact i would use the shortcut ;-)
argus-cronos

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor