Turn restrictions & the reverse connectivity bug

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Turn restrictions & the reverse connectivity bug

Postby jenncard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi all,
I was trying to explain to someone about the bug with reverse connectivity and the problems with setting "Allow all connections" (papyrus "W" shortcut key) at ANY junction with a 1-way road. You know what they say about pictures vs. words, so I made a little mock-up and a few screen shots.

Feedback appreciated!
------------------------------------------
There is currently a bug where turn restrictions may not be properly set for one-way roads, which MAY result in users being routed the wrong way down a one-way street. The problem lies in difference between the green or red arrows (or absence of arrows) we see in papyrus (http://www.waze.com/cartouche or world.waze.com/cartouche) vs. the connectivity displayed in cartouche (http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old or world.waze.com/cartouche_old). Note that the connectivity displayed in cartouche is what is used by the routing server!

As an example, the user requests a route from the "rectangle" to the "triangle". The allowed turns and road directionality shown in papyrus suggest the route should be:
1. East on Origin St
2. Left on North St
3. Left on Destination St.
rc papyrus.jpg
(13.19 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times

Looking at the area in cartouche with Highlight Connectivity, however, shows that even though a northbound turn Origin -> South was not "an option" (no arrow shown at the junction in papyrus), there is "allowed connectivity" (green shading on South St segment in cartouche)THIS is what the routing server "sees"! (NB: ADD MORE HERE ABOUT PENALITIES?)
rc cartouche bad.jpg
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times

The only way to avoid this problem is to NEVER use the "Allow all connections" function in papyrus (the "w" shortcut key) at ANY junctions with one-way roads!

OK, but what if the damage has already been done? Depends on the editor:
In Papyrus, option 1
- Select the "offending" junction and change to "Disallow all connection"
- Individually select each segment going into/out of the junction and enable each turn (red -> green)
- Save
In Papyrus, option 2
- Change the one-way segment(s) to 2-way
- "Allow all connections"
- Disable each turn going "against" the one-way street
- REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE SEGMENT(S) BACK!!!
In Cartouche (cartouche_old)
- Select the junction
- "Restrict all turns"
- then "Enable all turns"
...Cartouche is able to recognize the one-way street and set the connectivity correctly

At the end, your "turns" will look the same in Papyrus, but here is the result in Cartouche:
rc cartouche good.jpg
(13.93 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times
[ img ]
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Re: Turn restrictions & the reverse connectivity bug

Postby gettingthere » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:14 pm

jenncard wrote:In Papyrus, option 1
- Individually select each segment going into/out of the junction and enable each turn (red -> green)
- Save

Nice screen shots explaining this. This has been brought up several times before. I thought that some recent Papyrus change is supposed to prevent this, but I could be remember incorrectly.

In any case, based on other posts I remember reading, the workaround quoted above doesn't actually resolve the issue if you are using Papyrus (or at least there used to be additional steps required). You need to:

- change one-way roads connected to the junction to two-way (temporarily)
- change one-way roads connected to the junction back to one-way
- Save

The other option is to make the connectivity changes in cartouche_old.

As you recommend, I have also been avoiding using the shortcut key 'W' to enable all turns on junctions that have one-way roads connected. I am enabling each turn manually.

But likely there are plenty of junctions that I had edited previously that have the 'reverse connectivity' enabled.
Last edited by gettingthere on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jenncard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:26 pm

gettingthere wrote:Nice screen shots explaining this. This has been brought up several times before. I thought that some recent Papyrus change is supposed to prevent this, but I could be remember incorrectly.

Thanks :-) I know there are references all throughout the forum, but I wanted to "port" this over toe France forum and couldn't really find any one place where it was succinctly addressed. I just did this yesterday and today, so all is still just as broken as ever. Plus, discovered that, even once connectivity is correct, any subsequent changes to the junction - add a new segment, disconnect/reconnect an existing segment to junction, disable a single turn - followed by the "Allow all connections" will consistently and REPEATEDLY break the turn restrictions again.

gettingthere wrote:In any case, based on other posts I remember reading, the workaround quoted above doesn't actually resolve the issue if you are using Papyrus.

All three options described above work, as of this morning!
[ img ]
jenncard

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Cool. http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Know ... Editing.29 was where this issue was initially "documented" by me along with a link to a forum thread. Perhaps that Known Issues entry should have it's link changed to this thread?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jenncard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Wiki edit done :-) :geek: (i wish there was an uber-geekess icon with pigtails...)
But, based on my testing, the other two related issues listed there aren't quite right. I updated those line items with my findings, but should they be deleted? And does support understand the magnitude of the problem?
[ img ]
jenncard

Postby bgodette » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 pm

jenncard wrote:Wiki edit done :-) :geek: (i wish there was an uber-geekess icon with pigtails...)
But, based on my testing, the other two related issues listed there aren't quite right. I updated those line items with my findings, but should they be deleted? And does support understand the magnitude of the problem?

Has it been proven that road directionality is basically ignored by being too small of a penalty (or no penalty at all), and that only the turn restrictions matter?

BTW you can cause this in Cartouche_old as well, by starting out with a two way segment and changing it to one-way, turns onto that segment in the wrong direction aren't restricted automatically with the direction change.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby petervdveen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 am

bgodette wrote:Has it been proven that road directionality is basically ignored by being too small of a penalty (or no penalty at all), and that only the turn restrictions matter?

I don't think so.
Maybe if it's the only allowed direction and the segment is not locked..

Or maybe with not edited basemap roads.
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:59 pm

petervdveen wrote:
bgodette wrote:Has it been proven that road directionality is basically ignored by being too small of a penalty (or no penalty at all), and that only the turn restrictions matter?

I don't think so.

I can imagine that if the turn is restricted in Cartouche it could add another small penalty. And the OCD personalities just can't stand it. :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bgodette » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm

petervdveen wrote:

I don't think so.

Well I've started a test. I've changed directionality on a residential segment I pass through every day and used W to allow all turns on it's junctions, all segments are unlocked as well. We'll see what happens.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby petervdveen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 pm

When the segments are unlocked it wouldn't really surprise me if they would route through it.
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor