Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby PesachZ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:05 am

bummerdude69 wrote:Trying not to highjack this thread too much, so I'll chase down those other options in other places.

But my main question (confusion?) still stands. What is the best way to avoid the TTS Abbreviation translation? Using '.' for the cardinals works, but what about for everything else? Or is there not, just one best way? [Which, looking at the Big List, seems more likely]

The '.' does not work, it is exclusively for cardinals. For most others we just try not to have abbreviations which cause conflicts with real names, that's why we like to be informed when those conflicts are discovered. This allows to reevaluate whether the abbreviation should be modified to avoid conflicts. We can generally find ways around it when necessary, but there is no one size fits all solution.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bummerdude69 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:21 pm

PesachZ wrote:
bummerdude69 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:First of all you are looking at an outdated page ...

Second this does NOT apply to all abbreviations, it is specific to cardinal directions.

Third is there a specific use case, or abbreviation which is being an issue for you that you are trying to override?

Thanks, I missed the difference between the two pages.

VA in "Southern Arizona VA Medical Center" is being pronounced as Virginia rather than just VA ("vee" "aa").

Should it be named with VA in the primary name, or would it be more appropriate to use the full Veterans Affairs, and put VA as an alt name.

If not you can put a space between the VA like "Southern Arizona V A Medical Center"

Trying not to highjack this thread too much, so I'll chase down those other options in other places.

But my main question (confusion?) still stands. What is the best way to avoid the TTS Abbreviation translation? Using '.' for the cardinals works, but what about for everything else? Or is there not, just one best way? [Which, looking at the Big List, seems more likely]
bummerdude69
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PesachZ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 pm

bummerdude69 wrote:

Second this does NOT apply to all abbreviations, it is specific to cardinal directions.

Third is there a specific use case, or abbreviation which is being an issue for you that you are trying to override?

VA in "Southern Arizona VA Medical Center" is being pronounced as Virginia rather than just VA ("vee" "aa").

Should it be named with VA in the primary name, or would it be more appropriate to use the full Veterans Affairs, and put VA as an alt name.

If not you can put a space between the VA like "Southern Arizona V A Medical Center"

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bummerdude69 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:34 pm

bummerdude69
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PesachZ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:22 am

bummerdude69 wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms
When 'N', 'S', 'E', or 'W' should NOT be pronounced as compass directions, enclose the letter in single quotes.

Does this apply to all abbreviations? If so, should that be noted on the page?

First of all you are looking at an outdated page which no longer applies to the USA. For the USA please see guidance on the Abbreviations and acronyms/USA page (item #4).
We are no longer using single quotes, when you want a cardinal direction to be spoke as aleter it should be followed with a period. For example "George W. Bush Blvd"

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bummerdude69 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:36 am

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms
When 'N', 'S', 'E', or 'W' should NOT be pronounced as compass directions, enclose the letter in single quotes.

Does this apply to all abbreviations? If so, should that be noted on the page?
bummerdude69
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby dsfargeg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Opinion wanted:
Jane pronounces Hylan drive in Henrietta NY so it rhymes with Dylan. Should be HIGH-lin. Confusing enough to change? If so i'll provide the segment links and TTS files.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SocalToe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I'd go with good enough............

I've heard some that are slightly off, but wouldn't be able to describe what's wrong.

I think some of the 'slightly off' ones have the correct syllables, but the timing is off slight pauses, or lack of pauses
SocalToe

Postby PesachZ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:10 pm

dsfargeg wrote:So driving around, i've found 3 more TTS problems. It seems like this could get out of hand easily. Do we have a "good enough" threshold, or do we want to report everything?

Personally if it isn't confusing, or obviously wrong, I don't bother.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby dsfargeg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:46 pm

So driving around, i've found 3 more TTS problems. It seems like this could get out of hand easily. Do we have a "good enough" threshold, or do we want to report everything?

dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United States