Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby e-sarge » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:38 pm

e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-78.91376&lat=43.88275&layers=933&zoom=8&segments=80654014

Segment is named "Glen Hill Dr S".
    Should be pronounced "Glen Hill Drive South".
    TTS said "Glen Hill Doctor South".

Please add this to the list.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby e-sarge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 pm

e-sarge wrote:
e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-78.91376&lat=43.88275&layers=933&zoom=8&segments=80654014

Segment is named "Glen Hill Dr S".
    Should be pronounced "Glen Hill Drive South".
    TTS said "Glen Hill Doctor South".

Please add this to the list.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.

I was able to test this last week and it works now. Fixed! 8-) :mrgreen:
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby egnralnc » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi all,
I have an issue in Raleigh NC with an exit ramp (https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-78.80 ... 12&env=usa). When approaching this exit, Samantha says "Aviation Parkway N" instead of "Aviation Parkway North". I've not seen anything in this forum to suggest that this shouldn't work. Any thoughts?
egnralnc

Postby egnralnc » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

sketch wrote:Possible, then, that instead of failing to pronounce it as "north" after certain words/abbreviations, it's failing to pronounce it as "north" except after certain words/abbreviations. Same result (as far as we know); different causation.

In other words, it seems more likely that something in there is telling it to say "north" after a given list of things (e.g., "St", "Blvd", any numbers) than it is that something in there is telling it not to say "north" after "Pkwy", "Expy", "Chavez", and "Turnpike".

So, if that's the case, how to we get this fixed for "Pkwy", "Expy", "Tpk", etc.? Add to the Google Docs table?
egnralnc

Postby ehcool68 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Wiki pages....are both of the these wiki pages known to be correct, or, which one needs a revision?

When 'N', 'S', 'E', or 'W' should NOT be pronounced as compass directions,

The global abbreviations wiki https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms has
enclose the letter in single quotes.

The USA-specific wiki https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms/USA has
the letter should be followed with a . (period)
ehcool68
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ehepner1977 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Hannah St in Bloomington, IL. Han should be as in "Hand," is pronounced as in "HaHa"
ehepner1977
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 pm

kjg53 wrote:UR reporting mispronunciation. The text "Exit 763: I-610" sounds like "Exit 763 Essex 10". If you listen to it repeatedly it will actually sound fine. Of course, that doesn't help the casual wazer who is actually driving through the exit.

It may just need a small hesitation between ending the exit's number and starting the 'I'.

Please post a PL. It's possible the exit is not named correctly. If it's not, the folks who are working on the issue need the PL to test the fix.

Thanks.
ehepner1977
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Ladue Rd

Correct Pronounciation: La Dew

Actual Pronounciation: La Da Way
ehepner1977
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:54 am

skreidle wrote:This may affect all NA users, or at least a sigificant number. When the app announces the road hazard, "Object on road ahead"; it seems to consistently speak "obJECT" rather than "OBject".

iOS, app v4.7.0.2

Confirmed, Android, Jane is a lawyer who has a problem with something in the court room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
ehepner1977
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United States