Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Wajo357 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:31 pm

CBenson wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?

East/West streets in downtown Washington DC are also letters, like "K St." In the past, encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes would not get waze to say the letter and not the direction (only lower case encapsulated in single quotes gave the letter). Maybe things have changed since I last tried this or maybe it matters whether the single letter starts the name.


This was tested over the weekend, and seems to be a new functionality. You may want to retest it for yourself.
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Wajo357 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 pm

CBenson wrote:This exit has been named "Exits 13A-B-C: US-301 / MD-3 Richmond / Crofton" to match the BGS for quite some time. I drive through it regularly. TTS says: "Exits thirteen ayybeesea...youess threeohone...emdee three Richmond...Crofton." It sounds fine to me. I've never seen or heard a complaint.


When waze says the "ayybee" it sounds like it is slurring the two letters together instead of saying simply "70 ayy bee". My question was if there was a way to write it such that voice TTS doesn't slur it.
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby orbitc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

CBenson wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?

East/West streets in downtown Washington DC are also letters, like "K St." In the past, encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes would not get waze to say the letter and not the direction (only lower case encapsulated in single quotes gave the letter). Maybe things have changed since I last tried this or maybe it matters whether the single letter starts the name.


On my test here putting single or double quotes helped.
In both situations;
Waze said: Avenue enn when I put Avenue "N" or Avenue 'N' for the Avenue "Avenue N" in NY and not Avenue north.

Maybe, it's changed?
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

Image
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider
 
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: USA
Has thanked: 2073 times
Been thanked: 4762 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Wajo357 wrote:When waze says the "ayybee" it sounds like it is slurring the two letters together instead of saying simply "70 ayy bee". My question was if there was a way to write it such that voice TTS doesn't slur it.

Not that I know of. But I kind of like waze being quick about it.

orbitc wrote:Maybe, it's changed?

Maybe. I'll try it again.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 10303
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1064 times
Been thanked: 2340 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Wajo357 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:07 pm

CBenson wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:When waze says the "ayybee" it sounds like it is slurring the two letters together instead of saying simply "70 ayy bee". My question was if there was a way to write it such that voice TTS doesn't slur it.

Not that I know of. But I kind of like waze being quick about it.

orbitc wrote:Maybe, it's changed?

Maybe. I'll try it again.


Please do. Because we need you ready for a crazy toll behavior OrbitC and I are working on.
Hint - single penalty for multiple consecutive toll segments may be wrong! I'll be starting a new thread as we do more testing soon...
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby orbitc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:00 am

CBenson wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?

East/West streets in downtown Washington DC are also letters, like "K St." In the past, encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes would not get waze to say the letter and not the direction (only lower case encapsulated in single quotes gave the letter). Maybe things have changed since I last tried this or maybe it matters whether the single letter starts the name.



Just a thought: Is it possible that K comes before the st? unlike what we have here is: Avenue N.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

Image
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider
 
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: USA
Has thanked: 2073 times
Been thanked: 4762 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Single letters to be pronounced as letters when a capitalized letter is surrounded by double quotes was the suggestion made to Waze back in October 2012.

When I have not retested all the permutations, it looks like from those who have tested the letters, N, E, S, and W, that Waze has changed functionality so that upper or lower case letters surrounded by single or double quotes will now say the letter and not the cardinal direction.

I'll amend the list once I can test more permutations.
Image

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:14 am
Location: NW Ohio, SE Michigan, NW Indiana tri-state area
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Wajo357 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Single letters to be pronounced as letters when a capitalized letter is surrounded by double quotes was the suggestion made to Waze back in October 2012.

When I have not retested all the permutations, it looks like from those who have tested the letters, N, E, S, and W, that Waze has changed functionality so that upper or lower case letters surrounded by single or double quotes will now say the letter and not the cardinal direction.

I'll amend the list once I can test more permutations.


Sounds good. So now that your tests are done, here come the questions concerning Brooklyn, NY:

1) Should we change Ave N, E, W, S?
2) If yes, would you prefer single or double quotes?
3) Would that screw up navigation search if someone just enters in 1304 Ave S, Brooklyn NY, since it is now only Ave "S"? Would adding an alternate name of Ave S help?
4) Should we just blanket all of the letters in Brooklyn with the quotes specified in 2?
5) I assume we should lock the roads with the changes, correct?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Joey
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby orbitc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Wajo357 wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Single letters to be pronounced as letters when a capitalized letter is surrounded by double quotes was the suggestion made to Waze back in October 2012.

When I have not retested all the permutations, it looks like from those who have tested the letters, N, E, S, and W, that Waze has changed functionality so that upper or lower case letters surrounded by single or double quotes will now say the letter and not the cardinal direction.

I'll amend the list once I can test more permutations.


Sounds good. So now that your tests are done, here come the questions concerning Brooklyn, NY:

1) Should we change Ave N, E, W, S?
2) If yes, would you prefer single or double quotes?
3) Would that screw up navigation search if someone just enters in 1304 Ave S, Brooklyn NY, since it is now only Ave "S"? Would adding an alternate name of Ave S help?
4) Should we just blanket all of the letters in Brooklyn with the quotes specified in 2?
5) I assume we should lock the roads with the changes, correct?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Joey


If I may persuade GizmoGuy411, I would tink, it would be nice if all change to single quote and keep Avenue as is. For example: Avenue 'N'
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

Image
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider
 
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: USA
Has thanked: 2073 times
Been thanked: 4762 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Wajo357 wrote:3) Would that screw up navigation search if someone just enters in 1304 Ave S, Brooklyn NY, since it is now only Ave "S"? Would adding an alternate name of Ave S help?


What you name a street currently has no bearing on address searches. The street names we assign in WME are only for TTS and display purposes.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7571
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 970 times

PreviousNext

Return to United States

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users