Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby taco909 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Phonetically, with the vowel following the single consonant, "ai" would be correct.
Of course, once in the world of proper nouns, phonetics frequently falls apart.

I have one locally that is annoying.

"Live Oak" is pronouned by TTS with the short "I" rather than corrently as "L-eye-v Oak"

And this may be one to take a look at. I would imagine that the verb form of "live" is extremely rare in street and city names vs the adjective form.
Even in place names, "live" would be more likely to appear as an active form of the verb such as "Living the Life _____"

Another odd one is "Doran" places to much emphasis on the 2nd syllable so rather than "Door-en" it sounds more like "Doe-Ran"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:28 pm

BarfmanTheGreat wrote:Hello, I have a user report that states that Bradenton, FL, is being pronounced Brahd-en-ton, instead of the way it should, which is Braid-en-ton. Braid is indeed the correct way. Is this something that can be changed? Thx!

Theoretically yes it can be changed, but the change will affect the entire country anywhere that word is used. Therefore we must first know if this is something pronounced differently in different regions.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby e-sarge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 pm

e-sarge wrote:
e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-78.91376&lat=43.88275&layers=933&zoom=8&segments=80654014

Segment is named "Glen Hill Dr S".
    Should be pronounced "Glen Hill Drive South".
    TTS said "Glen Hill Doctor South".

Please add this to the list.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.

I was able to test this last week and it works now. Fixed! 8-) :mrgreen:
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bmtg » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Hello, I have a user report that states that Bradenton, FL, is being pronounced Brahd-en-ton, instead of the way it should, which is Braid-en-ton. Braid is indeed the correct way. Is this something that can be changed? Thx!
bmtg
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby voludu2 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:58 am

sketch wrote:Are you a client beta tester? We are not focusing on Samantha very much these days . . .

Whoa. Wow! Excellent. Samantha always sounds like she's talking through a blanket.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:50 am

Tried iFunBox, it crashed; found another one, iMazingforMac, but it won't run on OS X 10.6.8 (I have to run it for legacy code support). I think I'll give up getting the sound file for now.

I don't plan to change road names en masse anytime soon, but there is a real Cañada Rd that got a UR for lacking the tilde, so I think I'll redo that one. At least the ñ will show on the app display. Hopefully users will be forgiving if it pronounces Cañada even vaguely like the real thing, now that the horrible "plus minus" TTS of ñ seems to be gone!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 pm

No jailbreak necessary. You can get to it using iFunBox or another iOS file browser. Although I will have to find another iOS file browser before I get you the directory as it appears that iFunBox is not currently working with 10.10.3...

Are you a client beta tester? We are not focusing on Samantha very much these days . . .
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:03 pm

PesachZ wrote:What voice are you using?
Have you cleared your TTS cache recently?
Are you able to share the actual TTS file from your device?

Samantha, no, and I've never attempted that.

I'll research how to accomplish the latter (if it involves jailbreaking I will probably give it a miss).
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:28 am

DwarfLord wrote:TTS said it again twice for me today, and the intonation and stress were exactly how one would say Canada (the country). The n may have been a bit less nasal, almost a 'd', but no different really from how one usually hears it spoken. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What voice are you using?
Have you cleared your TTS cache recently?
Are you able to share the actual TTS file from your device?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:07 am

TTS said it again twice for me today, and the intonation and stress were exactly how one would say Canada (the country). The n may have been a bit less nasal, almost a 'd', but no different really from how one usually hears it spoken. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to United States