Service Roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Service Roads

Postby MReiser » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:43 pm

The reason I had even asked about how Waze treats Service Roads in routing is this particular little segment of road in my neighborhood: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=63831524

By definition, it is a Service Road, but I didn't want to route anyone between Fitzwatertown Rd and Oklahoma Rd on this segment as it's not really designed to do that. So, I designated it as a Parking Lot Road...it's there and drivable, but not to be used for routing.

Now that we're discussing it though, those houses have a Fitzwatertown Rd address, so should I alter my thinking on this? I think this is a situation where a more clear definition and understanding would go a long way.
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby mapcat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:31 pm

I agree with all four of your examples. BUT: Even though the urban frontage roads in Texas, Oklahoma, and a few other states are major roads in and of themselves, worthy of being called primary street due to their heavy use, should they be considered as part of the "primary road" type selected for long-distance routing? Assuming that primary streets fall under "primary road"; at the meeting it seemed that Waze isn't quite sure they do.

I also wonder if there's a strict need for a special "service road" category, if they truly are treated like regular streets (and I don't have any reason to think that they aren't).

Once you have these sorted out, do you think you'll have the stamina to establish the final verdict on major/minor highways?
mapcat

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 pm

All I have ever seen stated is that Service Road is treated the same as a regular Street. Thus the need to treat them differently if they are indeed meant to carry significant volumes of traffic as opposed to just providing access to driveways an entrances.

By the way, I should have mentioned I was approaching this from the US view. I am not sure how things would work in other countries. If there are already some good standards elsewhere, please share :)
WeeeZer14

Postby Timbones » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Does Waze treat service roads differently from regular streets? I find that routing is happy to use either (on world).

via TapaTalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor