Directionality on Road Labels

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Directionality on Road Labels

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 pm

xteejx wrote:Shields would be useless in the UK. We have blue signs for motorway and green for A roads, white for most B roads. That would be an option for us at least, just changing the background colour :)

If the shields in the US for each state are different (which I am not sure of), I would think it would be possible to have other country/state/province-specific shields/icons.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I think we're talking about the same thing right? The name 'shield' is more US-specific because of the graphics used, but really we are talking about some kind of icon which includes the route/highway/interstate/motorway/carriageway number, and this icon background should be emblematic or specific to the country, province, state, etc. so that it matches what the driver would see on local signage. Or am I missing something?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dkitsov » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:41 pm

This is a bit off topic, and in general is regarding the shield display. I have been standardizing the names of some freeways in my area but I am not sure how to label them correctly in order for the shield to show up at all. For example I labeled a freeway as "CA- 24 W" including the space after the state designation, but I reckon it might be an incorrect way of doing so, even though it is within the guidelines from the waze wiki page. Anyhow when I label the freeways as such no shield appears in the live map.
dkitsov

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Shields would be useless in the UK. We have blue signs for motorway and green for A roads, white for most B roads. That would be an option for us at least, just changing the background colour

Whilst shields wouldn't be right for UK, small coloured boxes with the road number would be good, leaving the road name number-free! There was lots of chat about this last year including a colour scheme more closely matching the DoT! Went quiet long time ago though!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think we're talking about the same thing right? The name 'shield' is more US-specific because of the graphics used, but really we are talking about some kind of icon which includes the route/highway/interstate/motorway/carriageway number, and this icon background should be emblematic or specific to the country, province, state, etc. so that it matches what the driver would see on local signage. Or am I missing something?

Exunctly!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby FrisbeeDog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I agree that we should keep putting direction notation on roads. Beyond the issue of traffic, it helps confirm navigation. For example, if you are directed to I- 40 W then you can confirm that you are indeed on the right road as the traffic signs you see contain that designation as well (at least in the US).
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Postby krankyd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:01 pm

waze currently does not insert the directionality into the report.
It will, as mentioned, show the arrows to point out the direction of the traffic, and (when the info is available) describe the traffic as 'highway z, between x and y'.

We have the option to add a shield to the maps (it's already available in the US) instead of the street name... and hopefully we'll be able to do the same for carriageways in the UK as well.

and to be clear, it is valuable to add the directionality into the road name when possible. The cluttering added by another letter is worth it for the purpose of better routing directions and traffic reports.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:06 pm

I've never seen that automatically inserted onto road labels. I'd consider the possibility that there is at least a small section of the A4 labelled with directions.

Automatic direction detection would also present problems with segments that don't point in the overall direction of travel. I am reminded of all the times I have driven basically eastward along the codesignated I-81 N / I-77 S in southwestern Virginia. Sections of this are southward, as well, and if a traffic alert is given as "I-81 / I-77 S", well, that's half wrong... and "I-81 / I-77 E" is just impossible.

Yes, it'll take a while to give all the motorways direction information, but I think it's worth it for that and for routing where ramps are not named. A better solution to reduce map clutter would be to disregard the direction for map display purposes only, and it'd be lovely to replace the plain text with a shield!
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 am

Dror, do you think it's possible that we could get those shields to display in the client as well? That would look really nice...
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 pm

The only shields I have seen in the Live Map are for "I- ##", "US Hwy ##", and "State Rte ##".

It'd be very nice to have each state's shield as well. I know states do things differently: while one might sign it "State Route 543", in Louisiana it is signed "LA 182". Optimally it'd be nice to put in "LA- 182" and have this interpreted into the Louisiana shield with "182" in it, for example.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor