Jolly editors

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly editors

Postby whoaitspete » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:54 am

World's longest single-lane parking lot?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
NarrowLot
(104.93 KiB) Downloaded 2759 times
whoaitspete
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby ct13 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Need to know how to get out of the corn maze from 3 years ago in the Greater Ipswich Area???? Waze can help!
[ img ]
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:02 pm

BearsDrivingTanks wrote:Looking for a map editor(s) in the Ann Arbor and Ypsi area in Michigan

Visit the Michigan forum:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=630
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby BearsDrivingTanks » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Looking for a map editor(s) in the Ann Arbor and Ypsi area in Michigan
BearsDrivingTanks

Postby taco909 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 pm

sketch wrote:
taco909 wrote:Make L2 (and start connecting PLRs to minor highways, while still not understanding turn restrictions.)

The "recommended" lock level for most Places is also L2... and I work URs from improperly placed URs daily... many of these last touched by an L2.

When L3 was increased from 10k to 25k, L2 should have been increased as well.

Who is locking minor highways to L2?

As has been said, 2 has never been a difficult level to achieve. A locking standard that does not take this into account is not a sufficient locking standard. Rethink your locking standard.

That's been the standard.
It's been just recently that policy in my area has been changed to move mH to R3 in more urban areas (or state Hwy that is classified by Caltrans as mH).

I agree. 2 has never been hard to reach. It should have been made more difficult with 3.
The issue is, as the app gets more popular, more people are encouraged to edit, and even L2 damage to PRI segments can be as frustrating as a new 1's BBQ in a parking lot..
Every time Waze makes the media, we have an influx on red roads.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby robertonthego » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am

taco909 wrote:1 - Required reading and completing a basic multiple-choice form
2 - RC approval for R2 promotions
3 - Increase minimum requirement to 5000 edits *AND* 90 days, or keep it at 1000 edits, but exclude PLR/PVT segment type.
4 - Deduct segments deleted by L3+ editors from their edit count.... 200 segment deletion = automatic flag, block from editing, and system-generated PM sent informing them to contact their RC with contact information for the RC. This would have a similar effect as increasing the required edit count.
5 - Requirement that editor have PM's enabled on the forum

I think at the very least, 1 and 5 would be great, easily implementable and solve at least most of the common issues especially if the test focused on the things L2's can typically work.

If you restricted the level two promotion much more, like a large increase in the required edits, etc I think you'll just get even more of the useless PLR's and place updates. I look at the current level two as the learning level while level one just gets your feet wet and vets out the people who generally don't have the desire to actually contribute long term. To promote out of level two, you're going to need to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing as it's going to take some effort to get from 1k to 25k edits AND have RC approval.

Also, with the way lock levels work in most major metro's it'd take forever for someone to promote from 1 to 2 if you excluded PVT/PLR's, you'd essentially be limiting them to adding places which is where you're seeing issues with existing level two's. I don't think forcing the level ones to just place updates would reduce that headache any.
robertonthego
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:19 am

taco909 wrote:Make L2 (and start connecting PLRs to minor highways, while still not understanding turn restrictions.)

The "recommended" lock level for most Places is also L2... and I work URs from improperly placed URs daily... many of these last touched by an L2.

Who is locking minor highways to L2?

As has been said, 2 has never been a difficult level to achieve. A locking standard that does not take this into account is not a sufficient locking standard. Rethink your locking standard.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taco909 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 am

nzahn1 wrote:
taco909 wrote:R2 is too easy to reach... especially now that they increased the requirement for R3, and R3 must still be approved by the RC.

R2 is just as easy to reach as when todays L4s-L6s were L1s, whether that was last year, or 4 years ago.

Exactly.
That was my point.

R2 gets to the level where damage can be more of an impact on routing.
It was made harder to get to R3, and R3 always required RC approval (in the US)... yet R2 is still automatic.
See the half-joke above.
Draw 500PLRs
Delete 500PLRs
Make L2 (and start connecting PLRs to minor highways, while still not understanding turn restrictions.)

taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm

taco909 wrote:R2 is too easy to reach... especially now that they increased the requirement for R3, and R3 must still be approved by the RC.

R2 is just as easy to reach as when todays L4s-L6s were L1s, whether that was last year, or 4 years ago.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby taco909 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:44 pm

KC-Guardrail wrote:
JB15TM wrote:Driving opens up new areas to edit. But there is a downside... and this was from a Rank 2. SMH

I'm always amazed at the incompetence of some of the level 2 editors. Maybe it's time they raise the edit count before getting a level 2. Perhaps Waze could have some required reading before attaining level 2.

1 - Required reading and completing a basic multiple-choice form
2 - RC approval for R2 promotions
3 - Increase minimum requirement to 5000 edits *AND* 90 days, or keep it at 1000 edits, but exclude PLR/PVT segment type.
4 - Deduct segments deleted by L3+ editors from their edit count.... 200 segment deletion = automatic flag, block from editing, and system-generated PM sent informing them to contact their RC with contact information for the RC. This would have a similar effect as increasing the required edit count.
5 - Requirement that editor have PM's enabled on the forum

We actually have a local editor who has been around for years, and has enough edits to make L4, but is permanently locked at L2 because he refuses to communicate with other editors outside of URs.
It's a shame, because he really does know what he's doing and COULD be a valuable asset, but he does a lot of things incorrectly and there is no way to correct him. He shows up maybe once every 3 or 4 months, blasts through with a bunch of edits for a couple of weeks, then drops off the planet.

Another disturbing trend that I've been seeing is where editors are disconnecting and reconnecting segments from junctions.
They don't always properly reset the TRs, and often times (what usually catches my attention) they reconnect the side street 2 or 3m away from the original junction, leaving a short segment, and sometimes then creating an overlapping segment in their attempt to realign their work with the aerials.
When confronted via PM, they are always polite and apologize for their mistakes, but they NEVER respond to the question, even when repeated, "What was the purpose of your edit on this segment?" "I see what you did, WHY did you do it?"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor