Issues with roundabouts

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Issues with roundabouts

Postby daknife » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 am

Yep, I've found that by far the best and quickest way is to draw in the roads getting them all lined up pretty, then create the roundabout on top of the junction. It doesn't matter if the roads are joined or not, just that they all end inside the roundabout when you create it. Then voila you have a pretty new roundabout with all the roads lined up over the correct travel lanes. And no problems with getting wrong way turn restrictions.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby damo999 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

only a Lvl1, how do i delete a roundabout, as there is lights at the point now?
damo999

Postby dknight212 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 am

No, you can draw a roundabout even if the main road segments are already joined.

David using Tapatalk
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Android 4.3 • Waze (whatever is latest)
Area Manager for LondonUK Country Admin
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby hurley108 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm

What happens if you do it as a three-way, but then create the roundabout on top? That's the way I do roundabouts, because then it takes care of all the turn restrictions and connects all the segments.
hurley108

Postby Kuhlkatz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:48 pm

After the latest WME update I have found that I would frequently get errors on connecting road segments to roundabouts. It works best in maxed zoom position. The best is also to save up to just before the point when you make the connection. If it fails at that point, undo & reconnect till you get it to work properly..

What I've seen is that it would sometimes connect the new segment but then SWAP segment nodes IN the roundabout around. Typically one of the ones just before and another just after where you connection goes in.

I have an issue with the WME at the moment, so cannot show with an actual roundabout, but it would look similar to this at max zoom:

roundabout_segments.png
nodes in roundabout
roundabout_segments.png (206.08 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

The snag with the roll-your-own roundabout is that Waze will likely not direct you to 'enter roundabout' or 'exit at ..' or proceed straight through and will likely get confused with the routing as well.

The easier option if it keeps flaking out on you is likely to kill the existing roundabout and simply redo it.
Delete all ROUNDABOUT segments only, save and check for errors, and then drag and align the road segments you want to connect as close as possible to the center of the roundabout and create a new one from the menu, or press 'O'.

As long as the connecting road segments are not deleted, Waze should retain their traffic info.

When a roundabout is created, WME 'fixes' the default routing based on the connected segments, so if all directions are indicated correctly, it should be created fine.
You can also verify this by clicking each connecting segment of road and each segment of the roundabout.

Full instructions at http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Editing_Quick-start_Guide#Create_a_roundabout

[Edit] Oops, forgot to mention.. Each segment of the roundabout should be named at least with Country, City and likely State in your case. The roundabout 'Street Name' should not be filled in.
If It's not named, it will leave another horrible red 'Blot On the Landscape'.
Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:12 am

You do have to have the junctions in the road, or any turn restrictions. WME will redo the turn restrictions based on the directions allowed in the segments that intersect or join the roundabout.

Typos courtesy of SlideIT. Posts courtesy of Tapatalk. The waffling is my own doing.
Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Issues with roundabouts

Postby Sleezyx » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Im having issues completing the edit of this subdivision simply because everytime i link up the roundabout I end up getting error messages. I do not want to go the easy way by just putting a 3-way intersection so how I get this resolved? Not certain how i would forward this to the support team but anyone with any form of expertise on this, please help out. Thank you, Sleezyx.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lon ... s=67412224
Sleezyx

Postby Sleezyx » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:14 pm

You are right!!! thank you for the insight. This was and will be a tough lesson to learn especially since i had to undo a lot of work that i had done. hopefully this helps someone else and remember, save as you go... :D

ok.....just went back and tried to 'gently' do the roundabout still getting errors ..hmm grrr.. but being the 'hero' that i am i decided to build one myself...check it out :mrgreen: :ugeek:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lon ... TTTTTTTTFT
Sleezyx

Postby tgfathergoose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 am

The secret with roundabouts is that the segments cannot be joined. They have to have a little separation. When you draw the roundabout, Waze will join the segments to the roundabout correctly.
Country Manager - US
iphone 5s
tgfathergoose

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor