[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.3

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 am

harling wrote:Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The browser does not draw any segments but these come as transparent PNG images from server. Now when you zoom in enough then server sends segment geometry data to the browser and then you can select segments. And at this point scripts are able to change segment color and visibility. I guess it is done so for performance reasons. It is less load to the server, less network traffic and faster UI experience.

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

You are right, the segments can't be removed form the map because these come as images. In theory it should be possible to completely hide the layer where segments are drawn and make all segments drawn by browser visible like they are selected but using different color.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)

If you can develop a spec taking in account how Waze works then it might be even possible.

--
Cougar
Waze 3.7.7.0: Nexus 4 | HTC Desire Z | Nexus 7
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis
zCougar
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:33 am

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

True. These are not critical problems on map but a good indicator of wazers who haven't fully understand how to use WME and a good start for people who would like to work with them :-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Tim, how about an option to change the default background color? White is OK, but sometimes I wish I could make it black.

Is this AutoCad style what do you mean: WME-black-bg.user.js/

To make it really usable the whole color scheme needs to be changed. It can be even written in way that you can quite easily add new color schemes and select between them instead of just toggling between two. This is just a 5 min hack right now ;-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby zCougar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 am

mapcat wrote:I've forgotten--why are railroads not included among the highlighted segment types?

Select "Highlight Landmarks" and you see railroads as dashed lines. I do not miss purple lines but I would like to see them this way all time in both WME and client ;-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby zombie16 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Can you post step by step instructions to install this in Chrome? I drag it to the Extensions window and it just opens the source code. I don't know what to do after that.

Thanks
Jim

Area Manager for Tarrant County, TX (Ft. Worth)

Samsung Galaxy S3
Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Waze v3.6.0.0
zombie16

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.2

Postby zombie16 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

I think it looks at the 'last edited by' field, not the 'created by' field. I highlighted a segment with admin as the creater, but it isn't listed in the drop down. I also found another segment that only has a 'created by' user and it also wasn't in the drop down list.

last_edited.png
last_edited.png (37.19 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Jim

Samsung Galaxy S3
Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Waze v3.6.0.0
zombie16

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby zombie16 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm

I think you are having the same problem I had. try checking the box for 'Turn Warnings for Selected Nodes'. Once I did that the segments highlighted correctly.
Jim

Samsung Galaxy S3
Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Waze v3.6.0.0
zombie16

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor