[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.3

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I just had a "missing junction" map error yesterday where a new road had been added, but no junction created. Waze detected turns between the two segments. That algorithm is working. Missing road? Not so much. I just had one repeat from 3 months ago where I re-did an intersection into an offset roundabout. Waze is still looking at 3-month+ old GPS tracks for the map problem detection, which has been reported to Waze for over a year and they haven't done anything about it.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose?

I believe they DO have a purpose, at least for the program that WAZE uses to generate 'Problem Reports'.

If two segments, on the same level, overlap or cross, WAZE seems to puts a 'Problem Report BALLOON' on the spot that shows up in WME to indicate a missing intersection, or roads close but not touching.

I find multiple-levels quite useful in complicated intersections, to allow proper depictions of the 'only' lanes without having them connecting to other, crossing lanes, to which the traffic in that lane can never route.

Of course, unnecessary levels can be frustrating when trying to connect two segment. If they won't connect, make sure that they are on the same level!

They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

No purpose to the routing engine or the client software, but I think important to those of us editing the maps.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby pvaladares » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:19 am

Hello!

Is there any way of running this UserScript via Tampermonkey (v2.6.2767)?

I would like to have all scripts updated to latest version, so I would like to be using
Tampermonkey.
However when I try to load any Waze related UserScript via Tampermonkey it simply won't run at all (except the Waze Aerial Shifter that actually works!).
If install the UserScript as an extension of Google Chrome everything works OK.
Any thoughts on why this occur?
pvaladares

Postby mike-bronner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Cougar gave me permission to run with the idea ... I'll add it to the WazeBar shortly. Thanks zCougar!
Of course, if you want to add this, timbones, I didn't mean to take it away from you.
mike-bronner

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Black and white are fine, but I'd like to be able to switch. The best would be a color palette selector. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Tim, how about an option to change the default background color? White is OK, but sometimes I wish I could make it black.

Is this AutoCad style what do you mean: WME-black-bg.user.js/

To make it really usable the whole color scheme needs to be changed. It can be even written in way that you can quite easily add new color schemes and select between them instead of just toggling between two. This is just a 5 min hack right now ;-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Tim, how about an option to change the default background color? White is OK, but sometimes I wish I could make it black.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 am

harling wrote:Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The browser does not draw any segments but these come as transparent PNG images from server. Now when you zoom in enough then server sends segment geometry data to the browser and then you can select segments. And at this point scripts are able to change segment color and visibility. I guess it is done so for performance reasons. It is less load to the server, less network traffic and faster UI experience.

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

You are right, the segments can't be removed form the map because these come as images. In theory it should be possible to completely hide the layer where segments are drawn and make all segments drawn by browser visible like they are selected but using different color.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)

If you can develop a spec taking in account how Waze works then it might be even possible.

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

In the jumbles that I have worked on, I have been careful to set relative levels as correctly as I can determine. So, at least in those locations, the ability to view just a cross-section of those levels would accomplish exactly what I need.
Hiding levels won't be possible, as the tiles are drawn on the server.

I realize that they can't be hidden entirely, but they could be subtly de-emphasized visually; maybe slightly greyed-out. It actually wouldn't be bad to know where they are; the big deal would be to get the editor to ignore them when selecting, or adjusting geometry.

In some places, there are so many segments in close proximity that anything you try to move will snap to everything in sight, and even selecting a segment through the tangle of other roads is a challenge--again, unless you zoom in to a microscopic level, then zoom back out for some perspective, then zoom back in to make a geometry change, then zoom back for the big picture again, etc...
harling

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am

zCougar wrote:I often see that new inexperienced map editors change segment levels where not necessary. I have heard different excuse like they have tried to change segment priority or access level. To hunt down such segments from map is impossible without such a great tool as WME Color Highlights. To make it possible to highlight such segments which has level different than zero I added one more option to the list.

Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)
harling

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor