Route Resets at I-210 E/CA-134 E merge in Pasadena, CA

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Route Resets at I-210 E/CA-134 E merge in Pasadena, CA

Postby daknife » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 am

I can't see a reason for this. Make a UR next time it happens, so you can look at the tracks Waze records. Perhaps for some reason in that area your GPS is getting fuzzed enough that Waze is plotting you on neighboring streets for a while, then bounces you back to the correct road.

I did tweak that HOV on-ramp a bit to move it a bit further from the main route until just before the merge. I doubt that will do it but maybe.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Route Resets at I-210 E/CA-134 E merge in Pasadena, CA

Postby DudleySirius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:07 am

I frequently drive I-210 Eastbound through Pasadena. Each time I drive through, regardless of whether I approach on I-210 or on CA-134, my route resets in the vicinity of the merge.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... ts=4462760

I am using an Android platform (Moto Photon4G) It is difficult to diagnose at 65mph, so I am not certain exactly what happens, but each time I get the alert beep, (as if I went off-route) and Waze recalculates the route. It does the same thing a mile or two down I-210, somewhere prior to Hill Ave:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=61815164

I have carefully examined the route in the map editor, but I can't see any reason. There are several on-ramps and off-ramps in the section, including the HOV only on-ramp from Fair Oaks. I can't find any which don't have all connections allowed, and all of the segments are one-way in the correct (Eastbound) direction. I do not have this issue anywhere else I drive.

I would like to know 1) does this happen to everyone driving this route? 2) Is it a map error, software error, or by design?

Respectfully, Dudley Sirius
DudleySirius

Postby DudleySirius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:27 am

I did a UR this afternoon. I got an email saying "Need more info to solve the map issue you reported on Waze" I haven't figured out how to call up the UR, since it isn't in the Map Editor anymore.

I looked up both of my trips today through this segment (both from 134E, once in HOV lane, once in the #1 lane.) I couldn't see anything unusual. But, I can't figure out how to pull up the planned route, only my actual GPS track. The tracks are tight enough to tell which one was in the HOV lane.

I don't think it is the GPS. I get exactly the same event in exactly the same place whether I drive on the 134 East (never under anything significant for more than a second) or I drive on the 210 East (through 2 tunnels several hundred yards long, frequently with traffic.) Also, I get the exact same event every time I transit the segment, and I never get it anywhere else, (unless I really do deviate from routing.) My biggest complaint is usually how LONG it takes for Waze to figure out I've left the route. I frequently drive the 2 South to the 5 to the 110 to the 105, plenty of opportunity for similar events, but I never get the gratuitous double recalculation.

I appreciate the attention. I will try to drive the route sometime when I am not in a hurry, so I can enter a more clear UR. It's more of a nuisance than anything serious, but it makes me wonder what causes it.

Regards, Dudley Sirius
DudleySirius

Postby DudleySirius » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi Wazers,

I was the original poster. I have tried moving the 210E main lane north slightly to see if it would solve the issue, but no change. I continue to see the reset, regardless of whether I am in the HOV or regular lanes. I have pored over the map trying to figure out why. The only thing I found was that the HOV onramp from Fair Oaks was labled as a parking lot road. I changed it to a ramp. I will see if it still resets.

I have been watching carefully for exactly WHEN the reset starts (note that the beep doesn't occur immediately.) It appears to be significantly (several hundred meters) west of the location plotted on the map editor by the error reports. It may have to do with the change in freeway name from 134 East to 210 East?

I would be interested in having one of the Waze programmers explain what exactly are the criteria for initiating a route re-calculation. I get the feeling there is some interaction between the program and the map data which results in an unnecessary and undesired recalc.

Anyone else driving the segment is encouraged to submit a map error report. The more routes we can compare, the more likely we can determine the source of the issue.

Cheers, Dudley Sirius
DudleySirius

Postby DudleySirius » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Okay,
So I did some more research and found out why the HOV onramp was a Parking Lot Road (so Waze will not give users that route, but will not consider it an error if they use it.) So, I changed it back. I also moved it farther North (away from the main lanes, in order to reduce the chance that Waze will 'snap' users to it.

More importantly, I noted that the segment between the Fair Oaks HOV onramp and the Marengo Ave onramp had different direction properties than the rest of the 210 segments. Specifically, the native direction of that segment was East to West. According to the documentation, this shouldn't make a difference, since it had its direction set to "One way (<--)" and the other segments had direction "One way (-->)." But, my computer engineering and programming background tells me that this is much more likely to be the cause of the issue than anything else I have noted, so I disconnected the segment and turned it around so that it's native direction matches the segments on either side of it. I checked the directions and connections to make sure everything matched, before I saved it.

I will post after the next time I drive the route.

Cheers, Dudley Sirius.
DudleySirius

Postby dukeofmildew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I live very close to here. I can't explain the issues coming from the 134 (Glendale direction) but if I'm traveling up the freeway stub (from Del Mar Blvd) to the 134 W, I always lose GPS signal when I'm passing under the 134. Waze ends up positioning me on any random street in the area: Colorado, Orange Grove, etc. Only after I've been on the freeway for a bit (perhaps a mile, like in your case) does it figure out I'm on the freeway.

From the 210 (La Canada Flintridge) you do pass through a tunnel, which would almost definitely mess with your positioning. I'm guessing it thinks you're on Walnut or Corson or something. As I said, I can't really explain your issues coming from the 134 though. But since I live here I pretty much never drive the 134E-to-210E transition.
Area Manager: Pasadena, Glendale, Central Los Angeles, 110 Freeway corridor (California)
dukeofmildew

Postby jemay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 am

I did a drive (route) on Saturday (which still has not posted my UR) from CA-134 East bound to I-210 E bound and Waze did a auto re-route and I was in the Carpool lane so it should not have done a re-route (to a road on the south side of the freeway). I have been waiting to see what the GPS track looks like to help in the explanation.

It does the same thing a mile or two down I-210, somewhere prior to Hill Ave:

Mine did the same thing on Saturday (but I was not able to do UR for the second one)

Hopefully other editors don't just clear my UR - I did put in to the UR to contact me first....
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 am

Type: General error
Description: Do not delete. Troubleshooting map problem Junction causes routing reset.
Reported on: Sep-28

Not mine, but based on the GPS track - the track is north of the main I-210 E.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... FTTTTTTTFT

Ok, now waiting for my UR....
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I was also in the Carpool lane, so my GPS tracks looks correct. So any other ideas why it would have recalculate?

Note: I picked this route to see if I could reproduce the problem and I did...(the other UR is somebody else)

shawndoc wrote:What's the next step? Delete and redraw?

Good question? Anybody else?
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 pm

As stated before.
DudleySirius wrote:It does the same thing a mile or two down I-210, somewhere prior to Hill Ave:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=61815164

Also we need to get a few more UR for the other one down the freeway.
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor