Route Resets at I-210 E/CA-134 E merge in Pasadena, CA

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Route Resets at I-210 E/CA-134 E merge in Pasadena, CA

Postby paulkok_my » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi to all. I was searching high and low the forum to see whether anyone is facing this problem which you called "route reset"

By chance I saw your postings. We also faced the same problem over here in Malaysia.

I was facing this problem you called "route reset" which I called it "teleporting" over here at my end.

The reason of using that word is, when you are driving along this road/segment and all of a sudden you find your vehicle is detected by the client you are at another road/segment causing waze to reroute.

I would like to share with you guys I manage to solve it by identifying the exact moment on which road/segment you are driving that causes the route reset/teleport.

After identifying it, delete the affected segment, redraw back the segment and adjust the geometry according to aerial view and save your work. That's it

Hope it helps you guys.

Cheers
Paul Kok
Area Manager: Shah Alam / Klang, Malaysia
Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.2

Join our FB group: Waze in Malaysia on Facebook
or Google+ group: Waze in Malaysia on Google+
paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 am

In areas with large concrete structures, such as where freeways merge, its normal for the GPS to get confused, either from loss of signal, or due to GPS signals bouncing off of the buildings. That could cause Waze to temporarily think you've left the freeway or are on a different section than you are actually on. Not saying that is what is happening, but its a possibility. There's an area on the 105, where there's a big transit station tower along the freeway, and if I'm in the carpool lane or the lane next to it, my phone will show I'm on the city streets for a short time until I clear the tower. And I'm not the only one, I see UR's there frequently.
California, USA - OC/LA/SB/Riverside L5 Country Editor
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Kandralla wrote:Has anyone checked to see if there are two identical segments stacked on top of each other there? I've seen a lot of those recently and if for some reason Waze snapped you to one that isn't connect on the other end I imagine it would trigger a reroute.

I just went through the sections in the above Permalinks, plus a little more in either direction, I'm not seeing any stacked roads. A couple of the ramps are level 6 locked, which is going to be a major pain when Cartouche gets retired.

My best guess looking at it, is that Waze snaps you from the main road to the HOV on-ramp or the Fair Oaks Ave on-ramp there. I think HOV is most likely, since it runs parallel to the road for a bit there. With the I5 toll lanes in OC, where there's actually quite a bit of separation between the regular lanes and the toll lanes (both in real life and drawn in), its common to get UR's from Waze snapping people in the carpool to the regular lanes or vice versa. Same with the 105 carpool lanes before they were all deleted (and the drawn back, and then deleted again).
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Try submitting a few URs as it happens and add a note to not delete. Out best bet of figuring out what is going on is to see what, if any, route information Waze provides. Hopefully it will show where it thinks you are that causes a recalc. It may take a few tries before Waze provides the needed info.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am

Yours is there too. Both show Waze has you route being on the 210, and both show a GPS track in the carpool lane. No reason for the client to be snapping you to a side street.

210134.jpg
210134.jpg (165.34 KiB) Viewed 649 times

What's the next step? Delete and redraw?
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 am

Not sure if it was one of you who submitted this, but here's another UR from a little down the road.

i210.jpg
i210.jpg (112.53 KiB) Viewed 632 times

You'll notice the GPS track is actually mostly in the no mans land between the actual freeway and the city street.

I'm going to move the freeway a bit north here. From the GPS layer, it looks like the satellite image is off 10f or so.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm

At this point it's unlikely to be a map error. It may be worthwhile to delete and redraw this section (in case it's caused by corrupted data on the server) , but if that doesn't solve the issue I don't there there is anything else we can do from the editor. It will need to be brought up to support.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for that info. There's actually several places here in Southern California that do that that I'm aware of. I'd suspected it was one of two things:
- Corrupt backend map data
- Inaccurate A-GPS info caused by switching cell towers.

Now that I know deleting and redrawing the segment worked for you, I may give it a try next time I come across a UR from one of the affected areas. Since the problem is on the freeway, I've been hesitant to delete the segments and lose the traffic data. Plus it never seems to affect my phone, even though I drive through one of the areas fairly often, so the exact point where it happens is hard for me to pinpoint.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor