Report bad editors

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Report bad editors

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:16 am

jasonh300 wrote:
Kandralla wrote:The user contacted me this morning... I'll leave it at that for now.

As for state and country, in Erie, PA I've noticed new segments randomly defaulting to things near the border (New York, Ohio, and occasionally the country goes to Canada) but never something completely in a different area.

There are border issues in some spots where WME doesn't seem to know what state you're in. The Louisiana border extends east into MIssissippi almost 50 miles at a couple of points. I was drawing in a new subdivision in Gulfport, MS the other day and about half of the segments defaulted to Louisiana and half defaulted to MIssissippi, so I guess I was right on the line. They all would've allowed me to select either state, but if I tried to save with Louisiana on there, it gave an error that I was too far from the state. :?:

They must really hate Mississippi, then, because I had the same thing happen when I was doing some editing in the Grenada area. Most roads there were saved or defaulted to Arkansas. That's ~70 miles from the state line.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 am

jasonh300 wrote:Okay...near borders, I've seen the option. But only of the two bordering states. I don't see why shawndoc should ever see an option for Alabama where he's editing (California).

Just to prove I'm not crazy. I added a new road today, and it defaulted to Alabama.
alabama.jpg
alabama.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 441 times

For non-American's, Tustin, CA is roughly 3,000 km from Alabama.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 am

Just had new roads I was drawing in default to Mexico for the country. This was in Northern Fresno, CA. A good 5 hour drive from Mexico.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm

shawndoc wrote:Just had new roads I was drawing in default to Mexico for the country. This was in Northern Fresno, CA. A good 5 hour drive from Mexico.

Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.

Country creep can happen just like city creep. Other countries deal with it a lot more than NA editors do.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:05 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Just had new roads I was drawing in default to Mexico for the country. This was in Northern Fresno, CA. A good 5 hour drive from Mexico.

Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.

I tried to, but it was in a heavily built up area, and neither the highlight script nor the new Extended Tools have a way to highlight based on country. :( I clicked around for several minutes, but couldn't find any nearby segments with Mexico as the country.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm

shawndoc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.

I tried to, but it was in a heavily built up area, and neither the highlight script nor the new Extended Tools have a way to highlight based on country. :( I clicked around for several minutes, but couldn't find any nearby segments with Mexico as the country.

Could you post a permalink where you saw this happen? I want to check it out.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 pm

shawndoc wrote:I tried to, but it was in a heavily built up area, and neither the highlight script nor the new Extended Tools have a way to highlight based on country. :( I clicked around for several minutes, but couldn't find any nearby segments with Mexico as the country.

It may have been removed already, but all it takes is one segment to make it to the tiles, and it'll continue to be an option on nearby segments. It has to be removed and stay that way across the whole area for a full cycle before it won't be an option.

Having done quite a bit of smudge hunting recently, I've found more oddball states and countries in California (specifically within 50 miles of L.A.) than anywhere else I've looked.

(For some reason, Gemany pops up in Louisiana once in a while also.)

Have you cleared out Portola Valley yet? I specifically ignored that one since it's such a huge project and I don't have much time to dedicate to it.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm

shawndoc wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Okay...near borders, I've seen the option. But only of the two bordering states. I don't see why shawndoc should ever see an option for Alabama where he's editing (California).

Just to prove I'm not crazy. I added a new road today, and it defaulted to Alabama.
alabama.jpg

For non-American's, Tustin, CA is roughly 3,000 km from Alabama.

The reason for this is there is Tustin, AL defined in the street database from previous incorrect editing. These 5 segments have an alternate name which is Tustin for the City, but what you can't see in the interface is that the state defined for the "Tustin" used in this alternate name is Alabama. WMECH does show different city/state combinations for primary and alternate streets.

Segment 68531631 is associated with alternate street ID (streets are the parent object of segments) of 7717283, which is associated with City ID 50004, which is associated with State ID 1, which is defined as "Alabama."

You need to remove the alternate name for those 5 segments. Save, recreate. It may, by default, still pick up the wrong state for the alternate name because Alabama comes before California alphabetically. Hopefully, though, WME will pick the City ID for "Tustin" (2056) because that one is associated with State ID 6 (California).

If you find it assigns the alternate name to the wrong state again, we can submit this as a bug to Waze as WME should select the same State ID as the primary street ID, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Could you post a permalink where you saw this happen? I want to check it out.

Hi Alan, sorry I don't remember exactly where it was. It was just north of Fresno, in the unincorporated but built-up area. I just thought it was funny to mention so didn't bother with bookmarking a permalink.

Update: I just scrolled all around Fresno with the highlight script on to show recent edits, and can't find that section anywhere. Next time I see something like that I'll bookmark it and let you know.
Last edited by HandofMadness on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

jasonh300 wrote:Having done quite a bit of smudge hunting recently, I've found more oddball states and countries in California (specifically within 50 miles of L.A.) than anywhere else I've looked.

How are you finding the countries? Just clicking every segment until you find it? States are generally easier, since most of the tools highlight for state.

jasonh300 wrote:Have you cleared out Portola Valley yet? I specifically ignored that one since it's such a huge project and I don't have much time to dedicate to it.

Oh heck no. Jemay actually I believe handled most of the auto-generated errors about it, but there's still plenty of smudge out there. Every now and then when I've got the time and inclination I'll spend an hour or so at it, but its pretty widespread in the countryside. Now that we have a version of Extended Tools for the new editor where the segment list works in Chrome, I'll probably start cleaning up more.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor