Report bad editors

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Report bad editors

Postby pjlasl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am

Holy smokes. Talk about topic derailment LOL, but enlighting none the less :).

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
pjlasl
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Report bad editors

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 am

The yellow segments when a segment is selected mean those segments have a soft turn to the node of the selected segment they touch. The magenta ones show reverse connectivity (RevCons). Red segments, when another segment is selected show U-Turn segments (SelfCons). The last two need to be corrected when seen - the sidebar shows a hint as to what to do if you select a node with a RevCon or SelfCon. Soft turns also need to be corrected, but only if you know for sure which turns are or are not allowed at a given intersection. Further information on Soft Turns, Reverse Connections, and U-Turn Connections can be found in the wikis.

The red highlight segments come up when new roads are added without putting in a city name and street name or checking the corresponding boxes saying it doesn't have a city or name. Maybe there's a script error that put them there and maybe they'll disappear just the same? Freeway offramps are usually kept under level 5 locks to prevent vandalism, so that would be my guess. Anyone here know if something's going on?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so opposed to zip codes? The vast majority of "mailing cities" in New Jersey as defined by zip codes are far better known than the township municipalities they are enclosed in.

Besides, what does everyone do in the states that do not have townships for the parts of each county that are unincorporated?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Unfortunately in New Jersey, we have several different Washington Townships, Springfield Townships, Union Townships, etc, which Waze thinks are all the same city, and now even places pins where it sees disconnected town names. These are not, however, the same towns/cities, and should not be contained within the same polygon.

Postal zip codes - and the official city names they represent are the only way, currently, to ensure the above does not happen. Besides, unless at least one zip code within a township goes by the township name itself (often none, do), nobody really knows the area by the township name anyway, making it less useful in the traffic reports as well.

Perhaps in other parts of the country or world, actual political boundaries mark out areas that actually have unique names within their region/state. New Jersey, however, doesn't work that way...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

In New Jersey, we have to go by Postal City, or zip code boundaries, since township names can and do repeat across the state so long as their mailing addresses are unique to the state. A single zip code may be assigned by USPS to use only one city name, though the zip code can span several nearby municipalities - sometimes even in a neighboring county, especially in less urban areas.

Here, this is the more practical method anyway, since the City feature will most likely be used for address resolution eventually, making actual political boundaries (actual city limits, county lines, etc) less relevant than address zip code boundaries.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 am

Some other editors have argued that for roads which are on city borders (one city owns one-half of the road split down the middle), that we should set alternate names for the other city.

This is probably not so important now, since addresses are resolved through Bing, but ultimately when Waze itself can resolve addresses, it will somehow need to know that one side of the street is one city while the other side is a different city, since that will be reflected in the street's addresses.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm

nnote wrote:Looks like the farm fields will need to be manually deleted.
As far as the 303 highway.... argh! Not sure what to do here. It's a wreck and not sure what's going on over there.. I got access to it today but damn I haven't driven it in awhile and dont know what it's current state is.

If you like to select and area or just to 4 points and say delete within it. I'll do that.
As far as the 303 goes. If you can drive there, maybe turn on "road mapping option" on your Waze?
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby orbitc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 pm

nnote wrote:Thanks Orbit C!
I got some info from ADOT, but not to helpful on the 303 situation.
I should have access to that area tomorrow so I'll start repairs, but if Waze cant revert the farm fields and 303 we will certainly need a strike team to hit the farm fields!

Again, I'll gladly help. Just let me know what you need. ;)
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby orbitc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 pm

nnote wrote:The highways, it was 2 lanes both directions. There is construction to split it into seperate NB and SB lanes, but the user just dragged the whole thing to the east where the SB lanes are going to be, and left nothing for where the highway actually is, instead of just drawing in the SB lanes and closing them off for the time being.

I've been in contact with ADOT to see if they can provide me a detailed map of whats going in there so I can redo it.

As far as the farm fields.. and railroad tracks also... I really have no words...
Been in contact with Waze to see if they can do a mass wipe. If not ya someone will need to go in and cleanup.

I'll gladly help. let's take a deep breath and wait for Waze if that "mass wipe" is possible.
• ßeta Tester
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby nnote » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:28 pm

ItsEric has volunteered to keep up with the 303 highway.
I cant depend on GPS tracks being old or new or current so just gonna let ItsEric handle it. He lives out there and knows the area well.
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona
G+ Waze Arizona
Waze Arizona Twitter
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor