Report bad editors

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Report bad editors

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 am

I did use the highlighter script for all of this. I did need to poke into the data structure to determine what the hiding data was to conclusively say why extra city/states are appearing in the menus for new segments.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Report bad editors

Postby skbun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 am

shawndoc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Just had new roads I was drawing in default to Mexico for the country. This was in Northern Fresno, CA. A good 5 hour drive from Mexico.

Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.

I tried to, but it was in a heavily built up area, and neither the highlight script nor the new Extended Tools have a way to highlight based on country. :( I clicked around for several minutes, but couldn't find any nearby segments with Mexico as the country.

Hmm. Okay, two things. If there is only one country in view, the highlighter script won't suffix the city list with the country. If there IS more than one country or state, you'll see something like this as the list:

Santa Ana, California, United States
Santa Ana, California, Mexico
Santa Ana, Nevada, United States

That is to say, implicitly, the highlighter script DOES search by country and state as well and will show them to you if there is more than one.

But the second thing is, another source of 'Mexico' can be the landmarks layer. Did you try something like this?

1. Start at zoom level 3 at that location with the landmarks layer on only.
2. Click a landmark. Then 'Edit'. You'll see that Mexico is in fact a dropdown, and there are other cities like 'sa', 's', and so on from badly filled in landmark cities in this area.
3. Zoom in, look at the roads layer. Mexico was still in the dropdown for me.

BUT...

Do the same thing above with only the roads layer on to start, and Mexico (and these other cities) were NOT in the dropdown.

...yes, alas, get.cities, which determines cities/states/countries in the dropdowns also checks the landmarks layer - but only if it's enabled. Additionally, the highlighter script does NOT check landmarks for location information because it doesn't know to check on that layer.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 am

Oh thanks. I didn't realize it picked up on alt cities. How do I tell which one is out of state when it shows the same city several times?
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby skbun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am

shawndoc wrote:Oh thanks. I didn't realize it picked up on alt cities. How do I tell which one is out of state when it shows the same city several times?

If you are only seeing something like:

Tustin
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Los Angeles

...then you are using an old version of the script before that functionality was built in. Make sure you're on 1.5 or the newest beta. When an alt street has the selected city, it will be highlighted with a dashed line. When the primary street does, it'll have a solid line.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 am

skbun wrote:...then you are using an old version of the script before that functionality was built in. Make sure you're on 1.5 or the newest beta. When an alt street has the selected city, it will be highlighted with a dashed line. When the primary street does, it'll have a solid line.

That was the problem. Thanks. I thought I had upgraded to the new script was it was released in Nov, guess not.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby skbun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

One of your Mexico culprits would be this, north of Fresno...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... FFTFTTTTFT (landmarks on, try clicking a segment and editing cities)...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... FFTFTTTTFT (landmarks off, and you'll note the country dropdown is different).

If you can't find segments up this way with 'Alabama' on them, maybe landmarks in the area do.

skbun

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:05 pm

shawndoc wrote:Oh thanks. I didn't realize it picked up on alt cities. How do I tell which one is out of state when it shows the same city several times?

In the WME interface, you cannot. I can post you the code if you like, but as long as there aren't a lot of alt names, My suggestion is to remove them all, then add new ones. From the previous examples, it looks like it is picking up the local state name and not the Alabama one.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Just based on this discussion, and me trying to fix some of these (fixed a whole bunch of Alabama and "Other" state alt names), I noticed a lot of roads have the same name in the Alt field. So real name and Alt name are exactly the same (Except maybe the state field). Seems like a waste of database entries.

Kinda wish there was a script that automatically deleted alt names if the the street and city match the regular name.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm

shawndoc wrote:Just based on this discussion, and me trying to fix some of these (fixed a whole bunch of Alabama and "Other" state alt names), I noticed a lot of roads have the same name in the Alt field. So real name and Alt name are exactly the same (Except maybe the state field). Seems like a waste of database entries.

Kinda wish there was a script that automatically deleted alt names if the the street and city match the regular name.

How are you determining what state the alt name is assigned to?

In my smudge hunting, if I see a duplicate name in the alt field, I delete it.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 pm

jasonh300 wrote:How are you determining what state the alt name is assigned to?

Currently, that can only be done in the console.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor