Report bad editors

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Report bad editors

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 am

tpmcguire wrote:What do you think about this? It wasnt the first time i saw it today, someone overlaid all of the GSP exit/entrance ramps with new unnamed segments.
Segments selected:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-73.98902&lat=40.40058&zoom=5&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTFTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=31887662

Segements not selected, and showing in red:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-74.3046&lat=40.6266&zoom=4&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTFTFTTTTTTTFT

I see a parking lot in red off the left which isn't my main concern right now.

I'm not seeing what you're describing here, so I assume someone fixed it.

However, what's your reasoning behind this mess?

Is there really some rule preventing traffic on Navesink from turning left onto Miller? But at the same time, traffic on Miller can make the jog to remain on Miller? The way it is here, the only instruction to traffic on both northbound and southbound miller when they hit Navesink is a "Keep Right". That's it.

Unless there's some really weird situation here, this is the wrong way to handle this intersection.

EDIT: Okay...I see your corrected link.

Looks like someone did some paving. Delete the red roads. They don't need to be there...it looks to me like everything else is correct in that link with the exception of the paving.

If you see any more of this, please report it to me or any other Champ and we'll contact the user in question.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 am

Actually, leave all this alone for now...this is looking more like vandalism. I'm going to turn this over to the administrators.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 am

I don't know why for some reason my Ctrl-C just doesn't want to work. :lol:

Okay...I get it...I should've known since it was in New Jersey.

You should play with the angles on that though so you'll get proper turning instructions. LIveMap is what shows that the instructions aren't correct. You are using the LiveMap Navigation Script, right? If not, search it in the forums and install it and you'll be able to see the actual turning instructions.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 am

That would've only gotten a turn right. Check out what I did...you may need to zoom in close to see the actual turns.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am

Yeah, what you did will probably work even better and it looks less sloppy. However you may need to come straight into that junction to prevent a U-Turn (although at 8 meters, a U-Turn shouldn't happen there anyway).

It's not really going to give the instructions any earlier though. What you may need to do is name the connecting segments "Navesink Ave" to get the proper turn instructions, but since the updates come quickly, it's easy enough to test.

I unlocked those 6 segments, so fix up the other one and double check all those turn restrictions and see how it works.

If this doesn't work, I have another idea, but see what happens with this.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Type in a question. Then it'll give you a bunch of links to what it thinks you're asking. You can usually just ignore that and then click on the e-mail link at the bottom of the list. Then you can type in your info and submit it.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 pm

skbun wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Have you cleared out Portola Valley yet? I specifically ignored that one since it's such a huge project and I don't have much time to dedicate to it.

I'm actually having a hard time finding more of these. Has there been a big cleanup done?

If the answer is no, if you can point me to areas where the smudge still exists, I can try a JS fix I've had in the works to fix these segments quickly. (Also, it may work for other no-city basemap state smudges as well. Toss one or two at me.)

The majority of it was automated I believe.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 am

jasonh300 wrote:Have you cleared out Portola Valley yet? I specifically ignored that one since it's such a huge project and I don't have much time to dedicate to it.

shawndoc wrote:Oh heck no. Jemay actually I believe handled most of the auto-generated errors about it, but there's still plenty of smudge out there. Every now and then when I've got the time and inclination I'll spend an hour or so at it, but its pretty widespread in the countryside. Now that we have a version of Extended Tools for the new editor where the segment list works in Chrome, I'll probably start cleaning up more.

The auto-generated are only if the city (and in most cases in California - Portola Valley) is inside of another city area. there are TONS MORE (Portola Valley) outside of the city area that are not flagged. And that would take several people several years to find and eliminate manually. Today I have found more with the auto-generated, you just have to go to remote cities/towns...
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 am

skbun wrote:I proposed this to one of the folks at Waze; one way to nail the URs for Portola would be to temporarily assign all segments inside the actual city of Portola Valley using the extended tools to something else, then tag every single remaining segment with the Waze Automatic error, with a much simpler algorhythm hit. (Does this segment's primary CityID equal 'Portola Valley'? If so, flag it.) Then put Portola Valley, the city, back.

NO. If you identified EVERY segment that would be thousands and thousands and thousands of them that would be flagged. As stated in another thread about smudges... the Portola Valley city (outside of the actual city) should be changed to blank!.
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jondrush » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Because zip codes are ill-defined and ever-changing.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
ImageImage
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor