Time based turn restrictions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm

If we can have a notes landmark that is a different color of Plots and gas stations, and doesn't show up on client. Then I would just have to make sure I have landmarks turned on. That's why I used RR. They dont show on client and dont have to remember to turn landmarks on. Someone else had the idea on doing it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

It's been said that if it is only 3 hours in the morning rush, it is a judgement call, can go either way. If it hits 3 hours in morning and 3 hours for evening rush, then restrict it. When you restrict it, it will cut down user requests, but create system errors when people turn during off hours. I have been leaving a short RR segment not attached to any roads as a note that there is a rest turn 6-9 & 3-6. Keeps me from QW that intersection when the system flags pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby chunkmonkey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:31 am

I know Waze at this point can't handle time based turn restrictions, I have searched the wiki and didn't see a mention of the best way to handle these. I have seen a few user reported errors of Waze directing them through a non allowed turn. Yet this turn is allowed 21 of the 24 hour period in a day. Is it best to leave that turn allowed, and close the occasional error, or restrict it and force other all day routes?
chunkmonkey

Re: Time based turn restrictions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

2+ year-old thread. Please follow forum rules.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:29 pm

The routing server will take into account the estimated time that you will reach the turn. Thus, when you input your destination at 3:45 pm the routing server will not route you through turn because it calculates you will reach the turn after 4 pm. No reroute is involved, the initial route will correctly avoid the turn.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TrafficGuy01 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Does the client update routing with time restriction?

Example;
Time restriction set for 4pm

3:45pm I input my destination which will include this turn restriction area. while driving I don't reach restriction before 4pm. Will Waze reroute if I arrive at restriction at 4:09pm or continue to route through restriction?
TrafficGuy01
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby harling » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

I have updated the relevant section of the Best Practices document. I considered the template approach, but I don't know if we necessarily want the same wording in both the FAQ and BP documents; the goal of the FAQ is to give a quick definitive answer, while the BP is (supposed to be) more of a philosophical approach: the reasoning behind the answers in the FAQ, and guidelines for when editors need to use their discretion; i.e., when the FAQ cannot give a simple one-size-fits-all answer. (Whether that is still how the BP is being used is debatable, but that was its purpose when I did a major revision of it, must be over a year ago now.)
harling

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 am

Whatever we do we can create a template with the instructions on a single page.

Go to this Wiki page on Your Rank and Points. Inside when you edit the page you will find a template entry "{{Points collecting}}". The entry {{TEMPLATE}} enables a single page to have a single description, images, headings, etc. that can be embedded into other pages as necessary with only a single source page to update. Saves a bunch of time and ensures 100% consistency. We just need to limit the details of the template to what is common to all places it would be used and then deviations on the topic/entry would be added before or after the template inline on the final page showing the template.

The template can be found under Template:Points collecting.

If someone wants to go to the Wiki and enter "Template:Time-based Turn Details" (or something like that) in the search box you will see a red link at the top of the page. Hit that red link and you will create the template. Just enter the text as if you are on a regular page, but generally you don't have headings on a template to prevent problems with the template is used in different heading levels. Then on the pages that talk about turn restrictions just add {{Time-based Turn Details}} in the body of the page you are updating.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm

therubinator wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Personally, I think they should be all restricted so that Waze never tells someone to make an illegal turn.

FWIW, that would be my preference too.

I have been converted to agree with this. I agree because it is the most simple rule.

My previous position was that people should follow the signs (and commuters can ask for alternative routes) when waze routes though a time restricted turn. Waze provides more information to the user if it is routing through a time restricted turn rather than avoiding it. However, that information is only useful to the user if the user knows how the turn is set. Currently, the situation is too chaotic with different editors making different judgement calls. Thus, I now agree that all time restricted turns should be restricted.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby therubinator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Personally, I think they should be all restricted so that Waze never tells someone to make an illegal turn.

FWIW, that would be my preference too.
therubinator

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor