Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road direction picking changed

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm

bz2012 wrote:something strange is going on around there. To the south and east, I see the symptoms you are reporting. To the west, segments act normally.
I don't know how far the 'three directions only' region extends.

I do see this 'three directions only' as far south as rural central California, and the Bay Area (San Jose, CA, etc.) Seems to be a pretty big area in that sense, but yeah, further west than my permalink, it DOES act how it used to.
skbun

Re: Road direction picking changed

Postby bz2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 pm

skbun wrote:Something oddball in the way of a change has happened at least on the NA editor, and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Consider permalink https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=54685761

something strange is going on around there. To the south and east, I see the symptoms you are reporting. To the west, segments act normally.
I don't know how far the 'three directions only' region extends.
I also noticed that if I create a new segment in the strange area, it works normally.

My attention was brought to this area because there's an automated report saying 'restricted turn might be allowed'. The thing is (as this is an express lane interchange) both ramps had direction 'Unknown' on them. However...if you look at streets in this area, you'll see that you're now only given three choices for directionals: One way A-B, One way B-A, and Two Way. Even the sister ramp attached to the one I saved as two way (I had no other choice!), shows the Xs I would associate with an 'Unknown direction' road, but I can't select it in the dropdowns.

Tried basic things to reset the segment like pulling its endnodes away from either side, saving, putting back...no go. I don't want to lose speed data for the segment, so I haven't done more than that and figured I'd put it out there to be investigated.

If I type 'R' to change the directions with the keyboard, 'Two Way' stays on screen for two keypresses. So it's like it is aware Unknown is kind-of-sort-of there, but isn't offering it as a choice; that the directional picker has gotten somehow broken - at the very least changed - and I don't understand the rationale of why. We do USE 'unknown' type designations for streets in situations like short to mid-term road construction, and to explicitly prevent routing on street types that otherwise allow it (like ramps) so...
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Offic

Postby Kuhlkatz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 am

davipt wrote:Hey waze can't this kind of thing be solved automatically by the backend? There are some fixes like this that a simple algorithm could just solve instead of us loosing hours going segment by segment.

If you automatically kill these by adding the end nodes, you will also automatically kill the ones that should be visible for road segments that just overlap and are not properly connected.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

xtago wrote:The dead end roads I've done haven't needed a junction at the dead end and still worked with navigation, you will need the dead end as a 2 way street.

though, if you did want a Junction on the dead end, you would just lay a very small brand new road from or to the dead end side not connected to anything else.

which makes a new junction at the dead end then delete the new road segment and the junction will stay on the dead end side.

I'm not getting this conversation. You are talking about segments where one end is not connected to anything? Are you then talking that it's not enough to just draw a segment from nowhere to the end segment (or the other way around)??? Are you telling me I'll need to go to each unterminated road and create a new segment, delete it and save? :o:o:o

For example here I can see the segment below with a dot in the end, and the segment above without it. Is this what you are talking about? Is the segment above (or the two) broken then?

According to the hightlights script, the two above are lime and the one below is not. So if you confirm this, now I understand what that lime option was about.

Hey waze can't this kind of thing be solved automatically by the backend? There are some fixes like this that a simple algorithm could just solve instead of us loosing hours going segment by segment.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official

Postby xtago » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:45 am

mike-bronner wrote:
xtago wrote:If you select a segment and it is connected to a junction point then you'll see red or green arrows, if you don't get the arrows then the segment isn't connected to a junction point.

Hi xtago,

I don't think you're understanding the point wine4sure was getting at: unterminated segments. These are most often dead-end streets that don't have a termination junction at the end, caused most often by inexperienced editors (I've done it in the past, until I found out, as well). The junction needs to be at the end so the client can handle navigation properly, if I understand it correctly.

~Mike

I see.

The dead end roads I've done haven't needed a junction at the dead end and still worked with navigation, you will need the dead end as a 2 way street.

The street numbering will allow for a better navigation end point as it'll have a better referance point to use along the segment.

though, if you did want a Junction on the dead end, you would just lay a very small brand new road from or to the dead end side not connected to anything else.

which makes a new junction at the dead end then delete the new road segment and the junction will stay on the dead end side.

Then save the edits made and all done.

Very quick and simple to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
xtago

Re: Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feed

Postby mssusa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 pm

bgodette wrote:No, you can't. Say you've got 5 segments selected that cover the ranges 100-400, but they're all different lengths. Do you distribute based on length, segments, or ???

Length?
I must be very slow today because I can't find any other options. I can't even figure out what you mean by the "segments" alternative let alone the ??? :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby mike-bronner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 am

xtago wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xtago wrote:Click on the street if you get no turn arrows then it probably isn't connected and needs to be checked

Please please please stop answering questions with an answer which isn't remotely related to the actual question. You keep pulling answers out of thin air, giving bad and incorrect answers to users, or just completely miss the actual point of the question. You have been warned many times.

If you select a segment and it is connected to a junction point then you'll see red or green arrows, if you don't get the arrows then the segment isn't connected to a junction point.

This is explained in the wme video on waze youtube channel.

Hi xtago,

I don't think you're understanding the point wine4sure was getting at: unterminated segments. These are most often dead-end streets that don't have a termination junction at the end, caused most often by inexperienced editors (I've done it in the past, until I found out, as well). The junction needs to be at the end so the client can handle navigation properly, if I understand it correctly.

~Mike
mike-bronner

Postby xtago » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xtago wrote:Click on the street if you get no turn arrows then it probably isn't connected and needs to be checked

Please please please stop answering questions with an answer which isn't remotely related to the actual question. You keep pulling answers out of thin air, giving bad and incorrect answers to users, or just completely miss the actual point of the question. You have been warned many times.

If you select a segment and it is connected to a junction point then you'll see red or green arrows, if you don't get the arrows then the segment isn't connected to a junction point.

This is explained in the wme video on waze youtube channel.

xtago

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 pm

top_gun_de wrote:The newly painted segment has no city and no name, so it is highlighted in grey. A newly painted road without an end-node is technically broken.

The highlighting extension is great, but it's new and not that wide-spread.

Best regards,

Detlev

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Everything I'm not completely done with is technically broken. Named or not. Newly mapped or disconnected from years old system-connected client-paved roads. All I'm saying is that I'm hacking this 'bug' to mark the roads that I should not end my editing session without mapping properly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm

davipt wrote:Because of this A-B reversal, I have now a lot of one-way segments with averages in both ways, and it would be nice to see 0 on the reverse direction which should never be driven.

I think we might need 'official' confirmation from Waze that the maintained timed stats are also duplicated when a segment is split, and not just the averages. By themselves, the averages likely would not affect routing.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor