Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby calli84 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:08 pm

thumbs up, you're right ;) it's okay for a workaround
Area Manager: Germany / North RP • client on phone: waze 3.5.1.0 on iOS 6.0.1
calli84

Postby chagen666 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:43 pm

I am not able to load the new WME. The top and left parts load fine, also the toolbar above the map, but the map itself just appears as white, no map.

I am using Google Chrome.

Thanks.
chagen666

Postby CJF2124 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

My only comment is that my Area Manager status appears to have disappeared with this editor upgrade
Chris
Cramlington / South East Northumberland AM

Interested in Hospital Radio? Visit Northumberland Hospital Radio here http://www.nhr.org.uk
CJF2124

Postby CrackedLCD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 am

I've got an older computer and Waze editing is generally a slow process, but this update has speed things up noticeably. It's rare for me to find something that's "updated and new" that actually speeds things up instead of slowing things down more. Good job!

Edit: I think I found a bug. When bridging two segments of a road that is a dead end/cul-de-sac, the end node disappears when the combination is saved. It's done it three times to me now. Luckily the WME script highlights it so it's an easy catch.

One minor problem I'm having when selecting multiple segments is sometimes the editor gets 'stuck' like I'm pressing a mouse button and it's taking geometry nodes and dragging them all over the place. I'm 100% sure I'm not accidentally clicking them, either. It's happened three times now, all on very tiny segments.
Last edited by CrackedLCD on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

HTC Droid DNA (Android 4.2.2) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 am

Holy crap, it works in Opera now. :shock:

And in keeping with a theme from a few posts ago, I'm at a paltry 1280x960 on my trusty old 4:3 monitor, and it looks just fine. The left info pane is definitely bigger but not a deal breaker. My only real complaint so far is the geo nodes need to be black. And square. ;)
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:21 am

I thought Shift-Z was a curious change, but after using it a while I think it's actually slightly easier than Shift-A. I love that we can change the shortcuts, though. That's a nice touch.

When I first started editing, I was using my mouse left handed but I switched because I was going so crazy it literally left me in pain after marathon editing sessions. In fact, my whole left arm hurts all day every day now. Maybe it's just being a lefty spazz, but I actually worked quicker that way, with the keyboard shifted to my far right so my right hand could work all the shortcuts. ;)
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 pm

bz2012 wrote:SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?

I'll chime in with a resounding "yes".

I've only been editing for a few months but never encountered the issue you described until the update. So I think it's perfectly normal to report that here because it's an issue with the new editor version and this is the feedback page.

I combed through the entire thread and didn't see this specific issue really acknowledged, so I dunno why people would be upset that it's being mentioned now. If nothing else, it gives us solace to know we're not the only ones having these issues. If you lose the ability to select roads, hitting Permalink should fix it. I've been doing that because it's breaking almost every time I zoom in to handle superfluous nodes close together.

Of course, after the 22nd Permalink/refresh after zooming in/out, I finally decided to call it a night. ;)
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:53 am

Has anyone else encountered an issue with mass selections using the M shortcut key?

I got on a tear today fixing some parking lot roads that had been mis-labelled as streets. And before I knew it, I'd selected something like 23 segments. I was able to change them to parking lot roads in the drop down box, but when I clicked saved they all turned into major highways! :o

At first I chalked it up to me being careless, but it's happened twice more now. I select segments, do a mass change, then click on the map to unselect (always forgetting that 'M' has to be deactivated so it does nothing, then hitting 'M' again to deactivate that feature) then saving. And each time I've had more than 5 or 10 segments selected.

I realize there are some known mass editing caveats but I haven't seen this covered yet, and never came across the issue before this release.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 am

After using the new version for a while, I think I've come across two instances of odd behaviour and I'm wondering if anyone else is having these issues.

First, when selecting small segments with geometry nodes in between the A-B points, I'm noticing a big tendency for the cursor to not change from the crosshairs back to a pointer. When this happens, if I click anywhere on the screen, it places the geometry node at that spot. It's very annoying during mass edits and deletes, where I'm trying to delete a lot of unneeded driveways or nodes in a reasonable amount of time. The only workarounds are to either hit escape and cancel the action, or wiggle the cursor over the selected segment back and forth until it "releases" and goes back to a cursor.

Second, I'm having occasional trouble inputting data like street names onto segments. I'll start typing and then it's like someone hit the escape key, cancelling the operation. I'm not hitting any stray keys or mouse buttons, so I have no idea where that escape command is coming from. It seems to do it if I'm typing quickly and the dropdown list of possible road populates with a bunch of different choices. But it doesn't do it with any reproduce-able regularity, so I'm stumped.

These problems didn't seem to happen on the old version. Has anyone else encountered these minor but annoying issues?

This is on Win XP sp2, Chrome version 24.0.1312.14 beta-m.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 pm

And why bother with house numbers anyway? Waze in the US doesn't use them and we don't get credit/points for adding them.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor