Lost editable areas

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Lost editable areas

Postby GeekNJ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am

Disappointing that the issue was reported on Nov 6th ( viewtopic.php?p=283377#p283377 ) and 12 days later there is still no resolution or meaningful update.
GeekNJ

Lost editable areas

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm

And it's been 3 days since I posted the update that the developers have recognized the problem and are working to find a solution...2 days of which have been a weekend. This isn't the only problem that they're working on.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GeekNJ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 pm

jasonh300 wrote:And it's been 3 days since I posted the update that the developers have recognized the problem and are working to find a solution...2 days of which have been a weekend. This isn't the only problem that they're working on.

Why take it so personally Jason? I'm not sure why you would say it's been 3 days and just 1 working day. See all the below history:

On Nov 8th (10 days ago) at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31184&start=60#p285149 you posted "Support had been contacted directly about this and they're looking into it, as of this morning."

On Nov 11th (7 days ago) you again posted asking for more info the developers asked you, though I think if they glanced at the thread they would have found references to dates of missing drives that were still listed but not showing as editable.

Now 3 days ago you posted viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31184&start=120#p291782 which indicates they were telling you "OK, it seems that this is a problem in processing some new drives. There's a status update on the Status-Page and we're working on a fix.". Some of my editable areas for drives were newer (within a few days of when the problem started) and some weren't. Sure, it could have been the way it was phrased or they could be working on an issue they found that is different from the problems reported in this thread that I started.

Anyway as a professional developer I understand there are often multiple problems to deal with but also being responsible for teams of developers and revenue associated with what is released, I'm extremely aware of prioritization. Maybe this isn't the worst or most impactful issue they have but from my end it's the only one I'm having. If the team is the same one working on the front-end client, maybe they are focused on that and what I consider a poor decision to release the new client in the state it was in. I'm glad I followed all the beta posts and decided against upgrading my Android app for the time being.
GeekNJ

Postby hickpop » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Does anyone know the status of this bug? It's still happening--I took a drive today and the entire drive is posted, but part of it is still uneditable. And the prior one I had still hasn't been fixed.
hickpop
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Gyr1949 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:59 pm

A drive that I took on Sunday outside my editing area shows up, and it did extend my area.
Gyr1949

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 am

hickpop wrote:Does anyone know the status of this bug? It's still happening--I took a drive today and the entire drive is posted, but part of it is still uneditable. And the prior one I had still hasn't been fixed.

No report yet that it's been fixed. Guess they're still working on it.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:35 am

hickpop wrote:Does anyone know the status of this bug? It's still happening--I took a drive today and the entire drive is posted, but part of it is still uneditable. And the prior one I had still hasn't been fixed.

A drive you took today will not likely expand your area immediately. The processing and posting of the drive is, if I am not mistaken, a separate process which happens prior to the granting of additional area. I could be wrong about this, but I would say it could still take a day or two to see your expanded area.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dave3825us » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:27 pm

14 pages of people saying they cant edit areas as of Oct 2

EDIT BY MOD to help with understanding the status:

Complaints are coming in from both servers, all over the world.

This was called directly to the attention of the developers yesterday morning, and they have acknowledged the problem and are investigating the possible causes.

OK,,,,

20 days later,

WHATS GOING ON?
Find the bug yet?
When will it be fixed?

How about some kind of official word from Waze?
dave3825us

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, that wasn't 20 days ago...it was two months ago. This was two threads merged together, and in hindsight, that may have been a bad idea. I did it because there were recent posts about this same problem in both threads, but that other thread dated back to the beginning of October and was about an unrelated problem.

This was brought to the attention of support on November 13. That's 9 days, which may also seem to be too long, but it's not as simple as flipping a switch and turning the editable areas back on. It's not happening to everyone and they have to figure out why it's happening.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zexpe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I've just noticed this too - very frustrating. Waze seems so unreliable these days. It wouldn't be so bad if they would actually acknowledge these problems on the status page and post updates on the situation.
zexpe

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor