To map or not to map - Roundabout in middle of road

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: To map or not to map - Roundabout in middle of road

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:2.) The road appears to change names here. The roundabout makes that change more obvious and stops (or slows down) an editor from trying to "fix" things and propagate one name to the other segment to delete the junction representing the current name change.
The road doesn't change names at the roundabout, the road changes names at the town border which is to the west of the roundabout. So we're still going to have the extra node "issue", but I don't think that is enough to warrant not mapping it...

WeeeZer14 wrote:1.) It does represent an "obstacle" that must be dealt with. Being told your next turn is in 3 miles and then coming upon the roundabout in the dark of night could be surprising, confusing, or even dangerous (if the person is stupid and relying on Waze too much).
Very good point...
WeeeZer14 wrote:3.) Someone is going to think there should be a roundabout there. Do you trust the average editor to do it right?
Someone already tired to (and did it incorrectly) after my original post... :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Despite not liking having to do it, I would map it. WeeeZer14 and others have posted good reasons why it should be mapped.
As always, Alan does a good job so summarizing everything, I'll be mapping this shortly...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

There are a few of these in this particular neighbourhood and I'm wondering if anything special should be done with them. The original map setup had each of intersections as "hand drawn" circles around these little nubs, with mixed directionality and missing names on two of the four segments. I went through and deleted all that faff and just connected them as regular intersections. Should I be going back and fixing these into actual real roundabouts in Waze?
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 pm

In CT, that's officially (CT DOT) not a roundabout, it's a "traffic calming device"... Doesn't keep people from not knowing how to navigate them (go around like a traffic circle)... Personally I think it's too small to try to map as a roundabout...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:41 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

There are a few of these in this particular neighbourhood and I'm wondering if anything special should be done with them. The original map setup had each of intersections as "hand drawn" circles around these little nubs, with mixed directionality and missing names on two of the four segments. I went through and deleted all that faff and just connected them as regular intersections. Should I be going back and fixing these into actual real roundabouts in Waze?

I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

It looks to me like traffic going straight wouldn't even have to veer much to the right to avoid it, and I would also guess that if it's a quiet area, most people turning left aren't going to keep to the right all the way around the median...they're probably going to shortcut it to the left.

Those were discussed a bit in this thread.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 am

jasonh300 wrote:I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

It looks to me like traffic going straight wouldn't even have to veer much to the right to avoid it, and I would also guess that if it's a quiet area, most people turning left aren't going to keep to the right all the way around the median...they're probably going to shortcut it to the left.

Cool, that's what I thought. If I come across any more, I'll be sure to turn them into standard intersections. It's been a while since I drove these roads with the "traffic calming devices" as CT DOT calls them, but I remember a few in another part of town that were difficult to get around, even in my tiny little car. I can't imagine a big SUV or a delivery truck going through without crashing over them!
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby invented » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am

jasonh300 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:25 am

invented wrote:Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?

At a normal 4-way roundabout, it'll say "at the roundabout take the 1st exit" for a right turn...then 2nd exit to go straight, 3rd exit to turn left, and 4th exit for a U-turn.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 am

jasonh300 wrote:
invented wrote:Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?

At a normal 4-way roundabout, it'll say "at the roundabout take the 1st exit" for a right turn...then 2nd exit to go straight, 3rd exit to turn left, and 4th exit for a U-turn.

Maybe I'm missing what you mean by a "normal" 4-way roundabout... But a roundabout for roads meeting at right angles, it will never say exit number, but will say turn or continue for all but the u-turn, for which I imagine it will say 4th exit.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

To map or not to map - Roundabout in middle of road

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

I've never seen that behavior Alan. Not that I have many roundabouts to traverse. I've seen complaints in URs about the "second exit" on these minis.

Gonna have to build a test rig I guess. Or do you have a specific example?

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor