Editing Etiquette

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Editing Etiquette

Postby jondrush » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:37 am

I guess it depends on how cranky I am feeling that day. I also tend to segregate those who pay attention to detail. Those folks, I hope are redeemable.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 am

Is there even a way to communicate with editors who don't appear to frequent the forum? I've spent a couple of hours cleaning up things like fully labeled parking lot roads (and I mean FULLY labeled; major mess in the client...), landmarked ATMs that are about 8 feet by 15 feet --and more-- and just ran into an intersection that was recently mis-modified (IMHO) all by the same user. He/she/it doesn't have any posts here in any forum and I wonder if there's a way to encourage (them) to look over the best editing practices, etc.

Yes, I'm pretty n00b, but I've spent a ton of time reading Wikis, forums and trying to get the lay of the land before doing much actual work on the map ( except for, maybe, my first couple of edits, which I promptly returned and corrected.... :oops: )

The intro video is all well and good, but it seems like it would be good to somehow put a little more emphasis on going through the wikis and at least acknowledging there's a forum here before people can start messing with the map? Speaking from personal experience here, I wouldn't have minded. And if you're not willing to take the time to learn the right way(s) to do things, should you really be messing with things that potentially impact many, many other users?
US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Oh, and if I send you a PM to let you know of something I plan on deleting, such as parking lot spam, and then, after you read my PM you continue to do the same thing, I will delete it all again in the future without sending a PM. I'll likely contact Waze to send you an official notice, though.

That seems perfectly reasonable. I've been known to send a PM saying I have deleted something and explaining why with a link to the wiki. Fortunately I've never dealt with the persistent incalcitrant editor yet. Maybe that's why I'm pro PM.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 am

tonestertm wrote:Is there even a way to communicate with editors who don't appear to frequent the forum?

When you sign up for waze, a forum account is created that is linked to the email provide during the sign up. The default settings on the forum is to send you an email to alert you that a PM has been sent.
Thus, I have send PM to editors and received response stating that hadn't previously known the forums existed.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm

CBenson wrote:
tonestertm wrote:Is there even a way to communicate with editors who don't appear to frequent the forum?

When you sign up for waze, a forum account is created that is linked to the email provide during the sign up. The default settings on the forum is to send you an email to alert you that a PM has been sent.
Thus, I have send PM to editors and received response stating that hadn't previously known the forums existed.

Unfortunately, I am not sure this is same with the facebook-only signups, but given the number of users with world_ and usa_ accounts who are showing up in the forums under same, it appears this generic account is getting created in the forums. And 2nd unfortunately, you don't have to provide a valid email address to Waze. <- I have bitched about that for years now. It is unfathomable to me that a "social" system of any kind is allowing users on with no valid way to contact them. Email address verification should be mandatory, IMO. You're signing up on your smartyphone with access to your email right there.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Email address verification should be mandatory, IMO.
+1
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 pm

When did the usa_ users become able to edit the maps? I always thought that these were people who didn't have accounts and were just using the Waze client.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm

jasonh300 wrote:When did the usa_ users become able to edit the maps? I always thought that these were people who didn't have accounts and were just using the Waze client.

Facebook "waze account" creation in the app.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandOfMadness » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:03 am

Another way I've reached out to people before is to google their username. I'd sent them multiple PMs with no response (sitting in my out box), found them on twitter and sent them a tweet. That got them to read the messages and fix (some) their mistakes.

As far as I know though, that person has never touched the editor since. Never responded to my PMs or tweet either.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandOfMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PalmettoC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:00 am

I hate it when I spent a lot of time working on areas about a year ago, and now I go back and look at them and see where I'm not even the creator, and these were roads I physically drove that weren't on the map (including some that are secured by locked gates that I know these people don't have access to)! Or they have gone and made things roads when they are things like a test track for the police academy (pretty sure the public isn't going to get to access that). I know they are going in deleting my work, and then just redoing it to get the points. :evil:
Columbia, SC - Cleveland, TN
AT&T, iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, Waze 3.7.7.0
ImageImage
PalmettoC

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor