Major Vs Minor Highway, MO example

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Major Vs Minor Highway, MO example

Postby andrewfatcat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

This is how I do.

Freeways: with ramps, interchanges ex: most Interstates and some US, state highways in urban area.

Major highway: mostly with interchanges but sometimes with junctions without stoplights, ex: some state or US highway in rural area. I also put most tolled highways as major highway.

Minor highway: with stoplights, like primary street but are a country or state highway. Ex. when a state or US highway run through a town and the speed limit also goes down as like a normal street.

Most county roads and farm-to-market roads are not more than primary streets with few exceptions depending on the road condition.
AndrewFatCat
Area Manager in Houston, TX, U.S.A.
andrewfatcat
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 pm

You may be able to get some insight on how to properly type roads by looking for the MO DOT Functional Classification Maps - this is something they are required to do by USDOT... There are more discussion on Functional Classification around the forum too...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmiller1984 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 pm

My thought is that when it splits into two is when it should become a major highway. Your local perspective, though, probably trumps what I'm thinking and I'm sure others with more experience can give you some ideas.
dmiller1984

Major Vs Minor Highway, MO example

Postby rottielover » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Permalink to segment I'm talking about: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.45 ... s=27765090

Link to Wiki page I'm talking about: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Legend

In the wiki link, "State Highway's ~ Minor Highway". In this permalink example, I would think that these segments might qualify as a minor highway, but there's no one that lives in this area that would call this road a "major highway". It doesn't turn into a "major highway" till it runs into the page ave extension (aka Maryland Heights Expressway runs to Page Ave Ext which is a freeway). [divergent point where it crosses under I-70]

Feedback appreciated. If someone high enough level comes along and feels this should be updated, please do.
Last edited by rottielover on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottielover

Postby rottielover » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

To give some perspective, the divided section is all "surface street" esq with higher (45mph) speeds. All intersections are stop lights and are all at the same level (not exits or ramps, etc.) So everything in this area should be around level 0 or so.

My initial thought was maybe Primary Street, but I don't think that strictly fits either.

How do I find out who the area manager is (if any) so I can PM them?
rottielover

Return to Waze Map Editor