Where is the line? Locking

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Where is the line? Locking

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm

That sounds like a conflict of interest to me.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 am

I am asking you people, where is the line between best practice to protect the map and abusive locking that is anti-comunity?

It seems that in my area someone crossed that line and it doesn't help anyone stuck with a lot of navigation errors.
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:03 am

Biggiejohn wrote:
jeanphilippedrouin78 wrote:It seems that in my area someone crossed that line and it doesn't help anyone stuck with a lot of navigation errors.

I would say that if you lock a segment, you better be 100% certain that the position of every road, every name and every turn is 100% accurate, and be willing and able to maintain that segment if anything changes.

Like you're saying. I am at level 3 and I cannot fix more than 15% of user reported problems or system reported problems cause everything is lock to level 4 or 5. Lock road shouldn't be that problematic. In addition, I try to contact the responsible by PM to fix stuff but he doesn't respond to that.

How can I work trough this?
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 am

AndyPoms wrote:Things I regularly lock:
  • High value roads (these are limited access for the most part) & their ramps (once named properly)
  • Overly complex intersections (once routing is working properly)
  • New construction that does not match the aerial photo (so new editors/IGN don't delete and redraw to match photo)
  • Areas subject to repeated unnecessary changes (i.e. two editors going back and forth on split vs. unsplit)
  • Changes as documented on the Connecticut Construction wiki page (so new editors don't accidentally reconnect things)
  • Areas subject to vandalism

I respond to PMs & unlock requests in the forum within 24 hours (usually less).

Thank you Andy Poms that is all responsible to me!

I want't to show some example of things that are in my opinion lock for no purpose. But I am not sure if it is ok to disclose that publicly.
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 pm

So here is an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat=45.42275&lon=-75.60917&layers=BFTFFTTTFTTFTTTTFTTTTFT&segments=60397106

This look like unfinished work for me look at all the red arrows. And if you click at most of the little streets, it is locked to level 4... This is no help.
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 am

jasonh300 wrote:Also, remember that it's possible that someone of a lower level locked those roads, and then joe01romano came through and did some editing, and upon saving, inadvertently raised the lock level.

Thank you I didn't know that! Good to know!

This https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32577 have a suggestion in how handling that!

Thank you for your answer Greg, like you said I believe most of editors here see this as a hobby. But, let's not forget that there is a lot of user on the road and that we have a responsibility too. (I know Waze is free but still have a lot of potential and the more people uses it the better it will be. I share the word to everyone I know who drive.)

The way I see why Waze is better is that actual user who drives and find errors, can go and make the change right away and the update is not long waited for max 10 days. That is if it's not locked because the occasional editor who goes on the editor to just fix a problem he found, will never be able to get the 200k editing required to obtain level 5.

I understand that there is UR (find it overall inconvenient due to while you drive it is unsafe to start explaing in details the problems you just encounter) + Unlock forum and ultimately PM to help with a locked road.

My recent experience with Ottawa, (I recently moved to Ottawa but was a user before in Montreal), is that I have more navigation problems, more locked road and a very poor response in the Unlock forum and PM (except for one individual who is very cooperative), compared to Montreal and yet it seem more popular in Ottawa because I see more Wazer on my screen here.

I had excellent relationship with AM of Montreal and we did an awesome job on some of the construction area there. I just wish it would be the same here because I just want to improve the user experience to a maximum.

Jean-Philippe

P.S.
EECGeek wrote:One thing I don't like is whoever is reporting errors, some have been somewhat rude.
Sorry it was me and you're right it was rude. Could you please accept my apology. Do you have any suggestion in how I should turn your attention into map problems in order to have the maximum efficiency?
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 am

jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Sounds like he is editing both Waze maps and Google Maps at the same time. So neither is getting his full attention.

Now if a copyright infringement claim comes up, it could look like data was copied between the two systems since the same person made the edits in both places.

No wonders why Google map have so many errors!
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby jeanphilippedrouin78 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Yééé!
jeanphilippedrouin78

Postby rtelka » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Greg, thanks for your comments.
I sent you a PM, if you could please look.
I'd appreciate hearing from "joe01romano" whom many believe are abusing his editing/locking privileges...

Rob
rtelka

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor