Late audible turn instructions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Late audible turn instructions

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:49 pm

rottielover wrote:Use Case: user is navigating to South I-270 and is driving in the left lane of McDonnell Blvd prior to Brown rd. I think the client should be giving a "get in" or "stay in" "the right lane" instruction just prior to the brown rd intersection, and then giving the exit right instruction after the brown rd intersection.

In this situation, when you are north of Brown Rd headed south, what is Waze giving as the next instruction? Keep right to I-270 W / Kansas City?
WeeeZer14

Late audible turn instructions

Postby rottielover » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 pm

I was looking at the wiki : http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/At-Grade_Connectors

Specifically that : "when the area is "busy" enough that the driver may not get any advance warning that a turn is coming up--in which case a connector lets you notify the driver a little earlier"

I have a good example. : https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=69802438

I drive this route every day to work, and I have yet to have the app give me the warning to get into the right lane in time, I assume because the lane that exits you onto the highway starts more than 200 meters/yards from the actual turn you make (combined with the 40mph speed limit).

So I added a longer segment ramp. After the server tiles update I drove this way and still did not get the turn warning until well after the intersection at brown rd to the north.

So I re-did the segment to what you see currently, hoping that would cause the client to warn drivers a little sooner that they need to get over.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in the left lane prior to the brown intersection, try and shoot over 3 lanes to go S on the highway. It's also a busy area during the morning rush hours. To make matters worse when you drive this section of road the proper turn lane to go S on the highway looks like an acceleration lane for the apartment complex, then immediately looks as though it's a lane to get into the car lot. Instead it continues on up the curved hill to the exit lane.

My goal is to have the client give the turn/lane instruction prior to the brown rd intersection

Is this the proper way to make this segment so that the client will give an earlier lane instruction?
Where can I find a better explanation of how the client gives instructions based on what it "sees" on the map?

Use Case: user is navigating to South I-270 and is driving in the left lane of McDonnell Blvd prior to Brown rd. I think the client should be giving a "get in" or "stay in" "the right lane" instruction just prior to the brown rd intersection, and then giving the exit right instruction after the brown rd intersection.
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor