Should a new freeway be mapped before it opens?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Should a new freeway be mapped before it opens?

Postby lakeyboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks guys, I've decided to leave the freeway in place, but I've changed the road type from freeways and ramps to private roads, so when it opens, it can be quickly changed back.
lakeyboy
Australia Waze Champs
Australia Waze Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I've put under construction roads in as dirt roads with a name including something like "under construction".
WeeeZer14

Postby BlazeTool » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

I'd definitely recommend against deleting another AM's work, it's just bad karma. If you're concerned about the under-construction roads showing in the client and confusing drivers, I'd recommend PMing the other AM and ask about changing the road type to railroad. That way the work is preserved but it doesn't show and when the road is ready to open it can be changed back quickly.
BlazeTool

Postby harling » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:04 pm

IMO, mapping the roads under construction is fine, provided they are visibly (in the client) disconnected from the rest of the map, and ideally labeled to indicate that they are under construction. It shows that Waze maps are far more up-to-date than others'.
harling

Postby cherianchris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Disconnecting Road Segments which have been "TEMPORARILY CLOSED" is approved practice on WME.
Primarily, as far as updating Road segments "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" is concerned, it may give a wazer wrong ideas about the connectivity in the region, if he is not navigating.
Secondly, even if he uses navigate, he will look at the route and assume that the error is a result of faulty map editing. And proceed on the said route, planning to take the "wrongly updated, under construction" route.
Thirdly, the segment under construction, will not gather any data for routing by Waze as no Wazer will actually drive on it. It will remain a Decoration on the map, till the road is finished and the segments are connected, into the grid.
I'd like some veterans to add their opinions this thread as well.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor