Example of Reverse connection causing issues

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Example of Reverse connection causing issues

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
vickimachado wrote:Thanks.

The instructions on correcting errors displayed by the highlighter script says only to hit the "Q" to begin the reset process. Is the "W" necessary, too?

Where did you see these instructions? There's a script in beta testing that uses Q differently than the native function of Q in the editor.

Hover over the error text which WMECH puts on the screen.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ArlenBystander » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm

The W key will enable all turns (turning the arrows green). For intersections where all turns are allowed, this is much easier than clicking on 8 (or more) arrows. Even for intersections where most of the turns are allowed, it's much easier to allow all turns and then disable the few that aren't needed.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Illinois Mapping
ArlenBystander
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

rottielover wrote:I have noted that the WME Color Highlight script seems to have a bug that puts the decimal point in the wrong place as well. You'll see 4000 mph when it should be 40.

However I am still finding segments that have skewed speeds.
Not a bug. It's a side effect of saved Objects in WME that's automatically cleared whenever Object data is reloaded (pan/zoom/permalink/F5/JNF's save hook).
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:02 pm

BlazeTool wrote:
vickimachado wrote:I wish I knew how reverse connection and other errors are caused, so I don't create new ones!

I *believe* they are created by things that you could do in cartouche but can no longer do in WME. So, while they are out there on existing roads, newly created roads should not have them.
RevCon is easy to create in WME by starting with a 2 way segment, using allow-all-turns and then setting it to one way. SelfCon however seems to have been cased by automatic turn opening, from people actually doing u-turns, or GPS wobble that makes them look like they've turned around (anywhere on the segment), which is why it's important to clear the soft-turns as well.

SelfCon has not resurfaced on any segment where it's been cleared from and the soft-turns eliminated as well.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby BlazeTool » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 pm

vickimachado wrote:I wish I knew how reverse connection and other errors are caused, so I don't create new ones!

I *believe* they are created by things that you could do in cartouche but can no longer do in WME. So, while they are out there on existing roads, newly created roads should not have them.
BlazeTool

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 pm

vickimachado wrote:Thanks.

The instructions on correcting errors displayed by the highlighter script says only to hit the "Q" to begin the reset process. Is the "W" necessary, too?

Where did you see these instructions? There's a script in beta testing that uses Q differently than the native function of Q in the editor.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Example of Reverse connection causing issues

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:50 pm

QW any junctions you create and then explicitly set restrictions after that. It's the only way.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Example of Reverse connection causing issues

Postby rottielover » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.87394&lat=38.81048&zoom=5&layers=BFTFFTTTFTTTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=62382737

User Problem report:
Type: General error
Description: I 70 at wentzville MO. keeps wanting me to exit again
Reported on: December 03

If you don't have WME Color Highlights, PLEASE install it! (otherwise you wont' see the reverse connection nodes in this area.)

I thought this was a pretty good example to post.
rottielover

Postby rottielover » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm

and another just down the highway a bit...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.82895&lat=38.8068&zoom=5&layers=BFTFFTTTFTTTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=26680502

This user problem report came in as "wrong driving directions".

It seems to me, and this is just a guess, that when the user's GPS is off a bit AND the client runs into several RevCon nodes in a row (like we have in both examples), it causes the client to think it's on the outer road, or causes it to want to do "on / off" routing over the exit / entrance ramps.
rottielover

Postby rottielover » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Something else I've noted in area's that have a lot of revcon nodes around. In WME Highlights look at your avg road speeds.

I've found segments reporting that wazer's were averaging way too high of speeds over short segments.

So far I find these only near U-Turn and Reverse Connection nodes. Total guess on my part, but I think when Waze sees these revcon's it's processing the data as though the user went back and forth over that segment (IE if a East West road Point A to Point B and back again). Then it processes the GPS data and calculates as though the user took A -> B ->A -> past B when in fact the user only went A -> past B.

Is it possible to ask a developer to look into that / is this already a known thing?

If so, will waze automatically fix these segments with "light speed" settings (over time as the correct data flows in), or are those numbers so far off it's un-correctable? (IE should segments with VERY bad data be deleted and re-created??)
Last edited by rottielover on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottielover

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor