Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If Wazers continually get stuck in the back-ups waiting a long time to make a difficult turn, then Waze will eventually have that data and be less likely to give that turn instruction at the times of day where it finds traversing that segment-to-segment pair is very slow. I say let the data do the work.

You are assuming they'll get backed up there, vs saying "This won't work" and making a right turn causing this error to be generated.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Mike-1323 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm

And how to handle when the users ignore the directions to make ridiculous u-turns and the problem is generated? I'm not even taking about the ones where it may actually be faster to take the u-turn route, but the ones that make no sense. Like when the routes that turn right into a cul-de-sac, u-turn and then turn right out of the cul-de-sac traveling in the same direction as going straight through the intersection. No stop light or turn restrictions causing it either. Is that a solved (the maps correct) or not identified (don't know why the routing server screwed up)?
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby McCracken808 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Should this thread perhaps be merged with the official editor thread? I'd rather read one thread.
McCracken808

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm

shawndoc wrote:These aren't time restricted turns. They're perfectly legal instructions, just hard to follow. My preference would be to close these as solved and not change anything, however I feel we may need to put something in the Wiki to refer new users to. I expect with this new auto-generated problem we'll find a lot of legal turns restricted in order to "solve" the problems.

Ah, I over-analyzed. :)

If Wazers continually get stuck in the back-ups waiting a long time to make a difficult turn, then Waze will eventually have that data and be less likely to give that turn instruction at the times of day where it finds traversing that segment-to-segment pair is very slow. I say let the data do the work.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

These aren't time restricted turns. They're perfectly legal instructions, just hard to follow. My preference would be to close these as solved and not change anything, however I feel we may need to put something in the Wiki to refer new users to. I expect with this new auto-generated problem we'll find a lot of legal turns restricted in order to "solve" the problems.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 pm

shawndoc wrote:This brings up an age old question: How to handle left turns that may be difficult/impossible at certain times of the day?

This new map problem doesn't change the guidance for handling time-based restricted turns. What it does do is perhaps identify these in the editor as a system-detected problem rather than a user-submitted problem.

There is discussion right now in another thread(s?) about changing the recommendation on how to handle restricted turns. The last I read was some more folks leaning towards restricting across the board rather than doing any kind of time-based volume-affeted analysis and picking the one which impacts majority traffic flow the least.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm

This brings up an age old question: How to handle left turns that may be difficult/impossible at certain times of the day?

In Los Angeles, Waze loves to route people down side or residential roads, and will often direct people to either turn left or go straight across when hitting the major roads. These directions are perfectly legal, however during busier periods these directions are hard/dangerous to follow, since there is no light and it often requires crossing 4~6 lanes of busy road.

I bring this up, since this new "problem" brings up a ton of these.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm

The new problem has been documented in the wiki for a few weeks now.

And yes, the ones we find on the map now are likely to be fairly old issues. When first released to test, I did find several which were helpful in finding incorrect turn restrictions.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taddison1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm

mdqueenz wrote:Yes, a lot of the errors have long been corrected, however i have tons where the problem is still existant.

Hopefully once we get past this backlog, the generating of these errors will be much more up to date.

MD

Agreed, a good number of the problems are real, I fixed quite a few wrong-way streets and illegal turns already.
taddison1
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Nel101 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm

This new detection system is great! Solved at least a dozen in my area already this morning where otherwise it wasn't reported by any user. This should greatly improve the map overall in the next couple of weeks. There were several that was based on old data but no matter, I would suspect we should see less of those as time goes on.
Nel101

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor