Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

Postby outtolunch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks. That got a couple to show back up. Someone else must have fixed the others.
outtolunch

Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

Postby pjlasl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:10 pm

joshellis625 wrote:sweet baby jesus I have never seen so many SRP's before.

That is one issue filled map LOL
Level 5 Area Manager - Texas

Image Image
pjlasl
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm

This brings up an age old question: How to handle left turns that may be difficult/impossible at certain times of the day?

In Los Angeles, Waze loves to route people down side or residential roads, and will often direct people to either turn left or go straight across when hitting the major roads. These directions are perfectly legal, however during busier periods these directions are hard/dangerous to follow, since there is no light and it often requires crossing 4~6 lanes of busy road.

I bring this up, since this new "problem" brings up a ton of these.
California, USA - OC/LA/SB/Riverside L5 Country Editor
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

These aren't time restricted turns. They're perfectly legal instructions, just hard to follow. My preference would be to close these as solved and not change anything, however I feel we may need to put something in the Wiki to refer new users to. I expect with this new auto-generated problem we'll find a lot of legal turns restricted in order to "solve" the problems.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If Wazers continually get stuck in the back-ups waiting a long time to make a difficult turn, then Waze will eventually have that data and be less likely to give that turn instruction at the times of day where it finds traversing that segment-to-segment pair is very slow. I say let the data do the work.

You are assuming they'll get backed up there, vs saying "This won't work" and making a right turn causing this error to be generated.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm

They didn't start showing up for me until I cleared my cache.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 am

Mike-1323 wrote:This routing down dead end streets has me wondering if the terminal junction on the segment is corrupt or has some connectivity issues. I've noticed that sometimes the JNF script will actually 'fix' the terminal node on a dead end even though the highlights scrip doesn't indicate anything's wrong. I think a self connected terminal node may cause, or at least allow, this type of route to come out of the server.

Nah, its just that dead end segments are the only place Waze officially supports U-Turns. So if Waze wants the user to go back the other direction, and there's no "around the block" routes it can give them, it sends them to the closest dead end to turn around.

The problem with this system generated UR, is it will only show 2 segments of the route. The segments before and after the turn. Waze just wants us to double check that the turn is properly allowed, not to troubleshoot the entire route. So if it is allowed, and it looks like a dead end u-turn, mark as solved. If it looks like it is allowed, and its not a dead end u-turn, you might want to scan ahead to see if there's anything else wonky going on at the next few junctions to cause Waze to want to turn someone too early. But with only 2 segments of the route, and no idea where they are going its often impossible to know why Waze gave the turn direction and why drivers ignored it.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 pm

CBenson wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Nah, its just that dead end segments are the only place Waze officially supports U-Turns. So if Waze wants the user to go back the other direction, and there's no "around the block" routes it can give them, it sends them to the closest dead end to turn around.

I don't believe that this is true. First, its not like waze gives a U-turn instruction on dead end segments. Second, there are plenty of time that waze does not send me to the closest dead end to turn around, but rather passes up several dead end roads to turn around on another.

I've never had it happen to me, but I've seen many UR's where it shows more of the route, and it has the user turn into a dead end, turn around at the end, and head back out going back the way they came.
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sockslabs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

About one out of 10 times:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

I see a few dozen "Most users did not follow the suggested route" automatic reports. Most times the radar is clean.

When I try to resolve one, the "save" button is unavailable. But if I click between solved and unidentified enough times, the save button becomes available and I can save it.

Here's what I think is happening: there's one Waze server out of a dozen that is out of sync with the others, and it's causing both symptoms.

Is anyone else noticing this behavior?
SocksLabs
Area Manager: Shrewsbury/Northboro/Westboro, MA
Helpful resources: Map Editor | Best Practices
sockslabs

Postby sockslabs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm

The following sequence seems to unwedge the save button:

• Click on the report.
  • Hit Solved.
  • Hit Close.
  • Click on the report again.
  • Hit Not identified, and the save button wakes up.
SocksLabs
Area Manager: Shrewsbury/Northboro/Westboro, MA
Helpful resources: Map Editor | Best Practices
sockslabs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor