Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby shirlig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi guys,

We released today a new version of the Editor:

What's new?

* New problem type: "suggested route frequently ignored": this new problem locates places where many users didn't follow Waze's instructions and therefore we assume that something's wrong there.
When selecting this problem - you'll notice a purple line representing Waze's suggested route and green lines representing the routes selected by the users + a number of users who selected this route.
* improved map problems and UR look
* UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams and archived routes
* Default city in new landmarks based on location
* Roundabout radius is limited to 100 meters.
* We deployed a new limit to massive editing due to misusage of extended tools by some abusers.
This new limit doesn't block you from performing the massive edit (based on your permissions of course) but only 150 edits per save will be granted with points and calculated for ranks.

clarifications:
How do we count edits for points and editing-ranks (those you see in the dashboard)?
we count the number of objects that have been edited within one "Save".
An object can be count only once in 24 hours.

That means that a user who used ET to edit a city containing 1000 segments, then selected again the same city -and had saved again - will be credited for 150 edits only.

What's an object?
segment
node
landmark
camera
update request
map problem
city (create new)
street (create new)

Please feel free to share your feedback here!

Thanks,

Shirli
Last edited by shirlig on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed thread title and stickied
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: New Editor Version Dec 19th

Postby porubcan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:10 pm

improved map problems and UR look

now purple and green routes are overlying more than before. not very happy about this change. regarding UR handling - we would really need possibility to communicate with UR originator. this was announced as "being worked on" long ago...
Default city in new landmarks based on location

It would be helpful if you run a script which will add default city to all existing landmarks (at least to those with currently no city).
New problem type: "suggested route frequently ignored": this new problem locates places where many users didn't follow Waze's instructions and therefore we assume that something's wrong there.

what if map is correct, but routing servers are offering strange routes, which are often ignored by users (currently users raise Update Requests in such cases). an example - Ori is aware of this one and is able to provide more details.
Last edited by porubcan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.5.0.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm

There seems to be a bug related to cameras and mph vs kph.

In the centre of this permalink are 2 cameras with a speed limit of 40mph/64kph.

At zoom level 4, these cameras correctly show as 40mph in the details pane when selected. If I then zoom in twice (either by double-clicking on the map or using my scroll wheel or by using the zoom slider) and re-select the camera, it now shows as 64kph - still the correct value, but the wrong units. Hitting the permalink will correct the problem.

As best I can tell, this only happen when zooming in twice from zoom level 4, but I have not tested all combinations!
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED)
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/W7x64
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby TonyG-UK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm

shirlig wrote:* UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams

This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.
  • In what unit is the information sent to the client?
  • Have you fixed the client to process these properly?
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Postby Timbones » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.

Good questions. It seems that the editor is still storing km/h in the model data, so we still need an appropriate fix in the client. Previously, Waze would only alert if the current speed (mph) is greater than the speed of the camera (km/h), which usually isn't. The client is missing the formula for converting km/h of the camera into whatever the local units the user has selected.

Any cameras which were previously set to have speeds in mph will appear to have the wrong speed, even if they trigger at the correct speed.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby Parithosh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 pm

shirlig wrote:* improved map problems and UR look

Are the URs now represented with a 'broken image icon'? or is it just my computer playing games? :?

Also as someone mentioned above, a way of communicating with the reporters would be extremely helpful. In my area, hardly anyone gives any sort of description along with the UR.

Regards.
Area Manager - Mumbai, India.

Parithosh

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Parithosh wrote:
shirlig wrote:* improved map problems and UR look

Are the URs now represented with a 'broken image icon'? or is it just my computer playing games? :?

Force a hard refresh of the editor or clear your cache and reload. That's what fixed it for me.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
shirlig wrote:* UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams

This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.
It's unitless. The only thing that's changed is the text while editing the camera is now mph instead of kph for the UK and US. That was a large part of the confusion about speed cameras. The client would alert by just comparing the unitless number vs the displayed speedometer (which is either kph or mph) also as a unitless number.

This if course is a bit of an issue for people crossing the border between the US and Canada or Mexico, or
UK<>France as the client doesn't automatically switch displayed units for the speedometer.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 pm

shawndoc wrote:
Parithosh wrote:Are the URs now represented with a 'broken image icon'? or is it just my computer playing games? :?

Force a hard refresh of the editor or clear your cache and reload. That's what fixed it for me.

Any time the editor version changes, it is advised to clear your browser content cache, and even cookies if you can stand it. Files which change sometimes do not always get loaded from the source reliably.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Usability Problem

This new version of the editor includes a new system generated problem report, which advises you when users are ignoring directions given to them by Waze.

The problem is the pin is placed directly on the junction, making it impossible to actually click on the junction. Even zoomed all the way in, I can't select the junction because the pin is in the way.

I have to mark the pin solved, save, reload the editor, and only then can I select the junction and make necessary changes. (Many of these junctions have the turns set correctly, but need to be QW'd and reset.)
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor