Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby vectorspace » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

After some time using the new editor, I've noticed a benign bug that seems to lock up functionality until the browser is reloaded. Sorry if this has already been reported, but I didn't see anything in a quick scan.

I usually use Chrome under Windows XP or W7. When I am editing, sometimes the editor functionality seems to become unresponsive. For instance, when I highlight a road, then the road details will not display in the left window area. Sometimes when they do display, when I try to edit a road, the country field will be blank and editable. Nothing is available to select. Same for other fields.

This can happen with a fresh editor screen after a save, but it usually can happen after a number of edits that still need to be saved. One can save the edits already made. At that point, I have to reload the browser to overcome the issue.

Thanks!
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby umopapisdn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am

what's not really clear to me is how to answer the request, solved or not a problem.

what exactly am i telling the system if i say it's solved? am i simply saying i found a problem in the area and corrected it? am i saying that the users ignoring waze routing are choosing the optimal route?

if i'm closing it with 'not a problem,' how does waze interpret my answer? is the route the wazers are taking not a problem, or is the fact that waze is giving bad instructions not a problem?

seems to me that the editor needs to be asking a different question: "which route is correct?" as it stands, the question asked really doesn't fit with the available answers.

now, i will say that with the help of the colour highlights plugin this new error type has let me to a few previously undetected u-turns and soft turns. unfortunately that seems to be the limit to its usefulness at this time, unless we get to see more of the route the users actually took. it'll be interesting to see how this evolves.
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Area Manager for most of Southern Indiana; LAM INDOT Vincennes District.
ImageImage
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 pm

I've compared the current colours to some screengrabs of the older WME I found in the UK Editing wiki, and surprisingly not only are both the "Major Highway" red and "One-way Arrow" blue are identical, but the size/stroke width of the arrows is the same too...

Discovered a useful trick though - reducing the contrast between the segment colours and the background colour by simply switching on the aerial images layer significantly improves the perceived contrast between the red and blue segment colourings. Manually setting the background colour attribute of the WazeMap element in WME to black makes the segments really stand out nicely too - I might have to add that as an option to one of my scripts :idea:
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris...)
L4 AM SE England & Shetland Islands / WME Beta Tester / Script Writer
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store

ImageImageImage
Twister-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Have the segment colours changed with the latest iteration of the editor (thinking about the recent change to the International editor, which has only just gone over to the new typeface etc. that the US editor has had for a while), because whilst doing some recent editing work on segments designated as "Major Highway", it looks as if the red used for this type of segment has darkened down a bit. It also looks as if the blue arrows used to denote one-way segments have become less clear in general (certainly look thinner, and possibly also a darker shade of blue too), so when combined with the apparently darker red segment background my colourblindness kicked in and made it damn near impossible to tell the difference between the one-way segments and the adjacent two-way ones...

I don't recall ever having this much difficulty in the past, and I haven't changed anything to do with the display setup on my PC, so it does seem as if it's the new editor that's to blame.

ImageImageImage
Twister-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 pm

jemay wrote:https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

Three in that area now, but don't know how long they will be there...

Excellent, thanks! I've added a specific filtering option to the latest version of the script, anyone who's interested should pay a visit to its thread here (world server) or here (usa server)

ImageImageImage
Twister-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm

shawndoc wrote:This is going to take FOREVER to clear, and since they are UR's, its going to be tough to find actual User Requests mixed in with all the auto-URs.

I haven't been able to find any to test with, but if the description text used by these auto-URs contains a specific keyword/phrase, then it should be possible to hide them using my UROverview script (if you're a Chrome or Firefox+Greasemonkey user)...

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/145186

If anyone does come across a fresh batch of these URs, can you please send me a permalink so I can try grabbing some info about them before any eager editors clear them up - it may be possible for the script to handle them directly, in the same way it deals with other specific types of UR (Missing exit, Turn not allowed etc.)

ImageImageImage
Twister-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Tucuson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:23 am

I am having problems with the map since the update. Areas are showing blurry images and cannot edit because I do not see the roads. Is this going to be fixed soon? I wait to see if the image loads but it never happens.
Attachments
waze.jpg
Blurry map images
waze.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Galaxy S3, Asus Transformer, Nook Color.
Tucuson

Postby TruckOttr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:44 am

Having problems tonight with changes taking several minutes to update in the editor.

A) Make Change
B) Save
C) Map reverts to pre-edit version

Yep. It says it's saving things, but then it goes right back to the previous version.
ImageImage
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)
TruckOttr

Re: New Editor Version Dec 19th

Postby TonyG-UK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 pm

bgodette wrote:
TonyG-UK wrote:
This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.
  • In what unit is the information sent to the client?
  • Have you fixed the client to process these properly?
It's unitless. The only thing that's changed is the text while editing the camera is now mph instead of kph for the UK and US. That was a large part of the confusion about speed cameras. The client would alert by just comparing the unitless number vs the displayed speedometer (which is either kph or mph) also as a unitless number.

That's not really true, as the speed set on UK speed cameras has been converted as part of this process. The old value has been taken as km/h and converted to mph under the new editor version. However, the client always takes the value as the local unit. So, as Tim said above, all the speed cameras that were set correctly to work around this client bug now appear to have an incorrect speed in the editor.
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Re: New Editor Version Dec 19th

Postby TonyG-UK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm

shirlig wrote:* UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams

This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.
  • In what unit is the information sent to the client?
  • Have you fixed the client to process these properly?
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor