Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby skbun » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 am

jwkilgore wrote:Also, I'm personally generating those errors every day. I keep my auto-routing on to check the voice prompts. Waze almost ALWAYS routes me down the interstate to get home. It *might* be quicker during rush hour (I doubt it), but generally I'd rather casually drive down surface streets (speed limit 35-45 with occasional red lights) than fight through aggressive bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic (actual speed 35-45). So 2-3 times every evening I ignore Waze's suggested route. Unless I'm leaving work late and rush-hour traffic is cleared out, and THEN I take the freeway.

Coming in to work, I have my work address as my main office address. But I park in a parking garage a few blocks away on a one-way street. I assumed Waze would eventually figure this out and learn my preferred route, but it's been 6 months now and I get re-routes 2-3 times every morning.

Heya. I'll likely not be able to fix anything personally, but can you give me a zoomed out permalink of the general area you're working in? I can likely offer suggestions on what you can do as an editor to mitigate the 'always on the Interstate' problem. I've done work in Seattle metro to help this.
skbun

Postby edEskankus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm finding the rendering of the roads (especially major ones) is now so thick I can barely see the bing maps behind them.
edEskankus

Postby WeeeZer14 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm

shawndoc wrote:
anonymous0816 wrote:How many users have to ignore a recommended route to bring up this new "UR"? Yesterday I for example saw 6 users causing this UR.

I think the lowest number I've seen so far is 2.

I and at least one other person has seen a single drive triggering the error. It may be a threshold based on the number of drives the road has seen in total, so a low traveled road will trigger sooner.
WeeeZer14

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 pm

jwkilgore wrote:As for the road-redraw thing... previously we lost all road graphics on zoom. Roads were gone from view until new data was downloaded and rendered. Now we're keeping the old road data until after the new data is rendered, but this results in a highly pixelated and seemingly enlarged view of the roads which obscures the satellite image. Personally, I'd rather have the old way.

I liked the old way better as well, but I've noticed that the actual road geometry renders faster than the redrawing of the road graphics (and sometimes the Bing graphics) and I can edit those segments by following the blown up and pixelated versions. I've even managed to fix some intersections and save the changes before the roads redraw. The ability to edit seems to open up a lot faster than it takes the roads to redraw at the proper zoom level, if that makes sense.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:37 pm

anonymous0816 wrote:How many users have to ignore a recommended route to bring up this new "UR"? Yesterday I for example saw 6 users causing this UR.

I think the lowest number I've seen so far is 2.

I also wonder if it can be the same user on multiple trips?

Example: It showed 8 users/trips on the error. This error was the entrance to a small parking lot. The lot had two entrances, and Waze wanted them to use the first entrance, but instead they used the second. My guess is this is due to employee parking assignments.

Seems unlikely that 8 different users would travel to this same small building in an Industrial section, and all 8 would want to use the further parking lot entrance, and know not to use the first one.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bz2012 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:53 am

Sometimes I set my starting point as destination to listen to the voice-prompts to report some map issues which I wouldn't have gotten aware of routing to my real destination. Especially a lot of turn restrictions and one ways were discoverd.
This way of seeing more potential map failures is surely influencing the "ignored route URs".
Should change my behaviour - it's a pitty from map quality's point of view?!

I suggest the WAZE Livemap Navigation extension http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/118389. It will show you the turn-by-turn directions you would get when navigating from one location to another in Livemap.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 am

I'm getting worried about the old data used to generate the new problems. Here is a newly generated MP where user didn't take the suggested route. The problem is that if I recall correctly I edited the roads in response to a previously generated similar map problem. Now the MP has reappeared apparently based on the same old data.
Comeback.jpg
(158.67 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlexN-114 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:05 am

The tool Junction Node Fixer (JNF) does not work anymore, because od an issue with the version number. :(
AlexN-114
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby anonymous0816 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 am

How many users have to ignore a recommended route to bring up this new "UR"? Yesterday I for example saw 6 users causing this UR.
Sometimes I set my starting point as destination to listen to the voice-prompts to report some map issues which I wouldn't have gotten aware of routing to my real destination. Especially a lot of turn restrictions and one ways were discoverd.
This way of seeing more potential map failures is surely influencing the "ignored route URs".
Should change my behaviour - it's a pitty from map quality's point of view?!
anonymous0816

Postby Olestas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 am

And.. we do not have "not a problem" definition. We have "Open Solved Not identified"
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor