Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby umopapisdn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am

what's not really clear to me is how to answer the request, solved or not a problem.

what exactly am i telling the system if i say it's solved? am i simply saying i found a problem in the area and corrected it? am i saying that the users ignoring waze routing are choosing the optimal route?

if i'm closing it with 'not a problem,' how does waze interpret my answer? is the route the wazers are taking not a problem, or is the fact that waze is giving bad instructions not a problem?

seems to me that the editor needs to be asking a different question: "which route is correct?" as it stands, the question asked really doesn't fit with the available answers.

now, i will say that with the help of the colour highlights plugin this new error type has let me to a few previously undetected u-turns and soft turns. unfortunately that seems to be the limit to its usefulness at this time, unless we get to see more of the route the users actually took. it'll be interesting to see how this evolves.
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jwkilgore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Ok, I've repaired a few of the automated "wrong route" errors, and see how they can be useful. Mostly I'm working in rural areas, though, so there's just plain not enough information. Is there any way to modify the error report such that two or three "next segments" are shown instead of just the one?

Also, I'm personally generating those errors every day. I keep my auto-routing on to check the voice prompts. Waze almost ALWAYS routes me down the interstate to get home. It *might* be quicker during rush hour (I doubt it), but generally I'd rather casually drive down surface streets (speed limit 35-45 with occasional red lights) than fight through aggressive bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic (actual speed 35-45). So 2-3 times every evening I ignore Waze's suggested route. Unless I'm leaving work late and rush-hour traffic is cleared out, and THEN I take the freeway.

Coming in to work, I have my work address as my main office address. But I park in a parking garage a few blocks away on a one-way street. I assumed Waze would eventually figure this out and learn my preferred route, but it's been 6 months now and I get re-routes 2-3 times every morning.

As for the road-redraw thing... previously we lost all road graphics on zoom. Roads were gone from view until new data was downloaded and rendered. Now we're keeping the old road data until after the new data is rendered, but this results in a highly pixelated and seemingly enlarged view of the roads which obscures the satellite image. Personally, I'd rather have the old way.
jwkilgore

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:When creating a landmark, the address is automatically populated, HOWEVER it is not saved when the landmark is saved even if you click edit & apply for the address. You have to save the landmark, which then appears with no address, THEN edit the address, then save again.

OK, I spoke too soon, sometimes the address field doesn't populate AT ALL (Country & State blank with no options in the dropdowns). A refresh is required.

Isn't it great that having the Landmark layer enabled futzes with the ability to properly save attributes of Landmarks? For everything else, we just say "turn off the landmarks layer" but that doesn't help here. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm

AndyPoms wrote:When creating a landmark, the address is automatically populated, HOWEVER it is not saved when the landmark is saved even if you click edit & apply for the address. You have to save the landmark, which then appears with no address, THEN edit the address, then save again.

OK, I spoke too soon, sometimes the address field doesn't populate AT ALL (Country & State blank with no options in the dropdowns). A refresh is required.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm

When creating a landmark, the address is automatically populated, HOWEVER it is not saved when the landmark is saved even if you click edit & apply for the address. You have to save the landmark, which then appears with no address, THEN edit the address, then save again.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Another thing about these new MPs. They were visible to everyone in the sandbox prior to them even being released in the Beta (early November). It's possible that some editors, like me, started working on them before they hit the regular editor, but had no way of closing them in the sandbox.

I closed them in the beta, but you're right, if in the sandbox, an editor could see the problem, log in and take the action.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Another thing about these new MPs. They were visible to everyone in the sandbox prior to them even being released in the Beta (early November). It's possible that some editors, like me, started working on them before they hit the regular editor, but had no way of closing them in the sandbox.

In the above example by dbrightwell, it looks like aeroseek(3) deleted the offending road on November 21. There's no way of knowing if the problem generated after the road was deleted, or if it was already there, but invisible to most users and has since been fixed.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm

dbrightwell wrote:More confusing is this error...
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-88.97 ... TTTTTTTTFT
Waze recommends a turn where this is no street on the map. So there are no turn restrictions to address. How do I deal with this?

Please read this whole thread, as the age of these new Map Problems, as Andy mentions, has already been discussed.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 pm

dbrightwell wrote:More confusing is this error...
Waze recommends a turn where this is no street on the map. So there are no turn restrictions to address. How do I deal with this?

Some of these are using (very) old data right now. There may have been a problem there before, but it has already been fixed.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby psidoc74 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

More confusing is this error...
psidoc74

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor