Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:43 am

Just an update, I went back to two of them and turned the city layer on. It looks like there's either a smudge, or just the way Waze handles city borders, doesn't like the curvy twisty borders that sometimes crop up where multiple cities merge together.

I'll need to poke around later, as well as try to figure out what the official border lines are.

If anyone has a resource for finding the exact city borders in California cities, I'd appreciate it. (Real borders, not mailing address/zip code borders, which often don't match the actual city limits)
Update: Here's a city zoning map from one of the cities, to give you an idea of how messy things are in this area.
https://www.cityofindustry.org/pdf/zoningmap.pdf
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jemay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 am

The ones I cleared in Santa Clarita area where the cities inside of cities. And removing a city name that is the county name. Also in that area are city areas, not actual city names so knowing those boundaries are hard to know and find. But you are right the lines causes issues.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 am

This is crazy! It must see or think this is in a different city. I've cleared 250 of these new system errors. I think I fixed 10 of them. Feel like I'm wasting my time. Wasn't even soft turns in this area.
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

It sounds like the operation is mostly working as designed:

1. Segments incorrectly labeled with "Portolla Valley" were to be automatically updated to the correct city they are in, if that city could be identified
2. Segments were set to "no city" if the city could not be positively identified and a UR posted.

Only #2 was supposed to generate a UR, but perhaps, ALL of them generated a UR? That let's us verify them at least, to make sure the update process got it correct.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 am

The set of Automatic Report created today, were segments with city names inside or smudged into another city names. I did not notice any segments with no city being identified.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It sounds like the operation is mostly working as designed:

1. Segments incorrectly labeled with "Portolla Valley" were to be automatically updated to the correct city they are in, if that city could be identified
2. Segments were set to "no city" if the city could not be positively identified and a UR posted.

Only #2 was supposed to generate a UR, but perhaps, ALL of them generated a UR? That let's us verify them at least, to make sure the update process got it correct.

Does this mean some or most of the PV smudge is supposed to be gone? I've got some up in Trinity county and near Mendocino, still. Maybe the script is still running?

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 am

skbun wrote:Does this mean some or most of the PV smudge is supposed to be gone? I've got some up in Trinity county and near Mendocino, still. Maybe the script is still running?

I spent an hour today manually cleaning up PV segments in the SoCal desert today. So no, they haven't gone anywhere.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby skbun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 am

shawndoc wrote:
skbun wrote:Does this mean some or most of the PV smudge is supposed to be gone? I've got some up in Trinity county and near Mendocino, still. Maybe the script is still running?

I spent an hour today manually cleaning up PV segments in the SoCal desert today. So no, they haven't gone anywhere.

Alas, if true. Did you see the trick about reducing the size of the Chrome browser's zoom, so WME Addons can maximise the number of segments it can see at once, at zoom 4? (You can then select all segments with PV city using the addon, then edit with standard WME city editing on all segments, set to none, and they're gone.). At least that way it can be done 9 square miles at a time rather than about 2.5.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 am

No, I'll have to give that a shot. Would have made things easier.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby skbun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 am

shawndoc wrote:Just an update, I went back to two of them and turned the city layer on. It looks like there's either a smudge, or just the way Waze handles city borders, doesn't like the curvy twisty borders that sometimes crop up where multiple cities merge together.

I'll need to poke around later, as well as try to figure out what the official border lines are.

If anyone has a resource for finding the exact city borders in California cities, I'd appreciate it. (Real borders, not mailing address/zip code borders, which often don't match the actual city limits)
Update: Here's a city zoning map from one of the cities, to give you an idea of how messy things are in this area.
https://www.cityofindustry.org/pdf/zoningmap.pdf

Before you proceed too far, some city borders as they exist may not be completely editable.

I believe this is still true - part of the problem with city border management in the United States is that there are technically two city layers. There's the editable one that we can use to create or expand existing cities (that's how you get cities like this one: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

Then, there is a non-editable layer whose borders came from (my best estimate) the 2000 Census. Cities on this layer cannot be deleted nor their borders completely contracted. (They CAN be expanded). An example of THIS one is https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT , Lea Hill (which was annexed in 2008 to Auburn). I've put all its segments into Auburn, but as you can see, it doesn't completely want to disappear.

I think to make city border management of existing 'sticky' cities into a real going concern, the 'sticky' city layer would have to be let go, and all city borders would have to be (completely) generated by the segments with their ID. It could likely be done, but Waze would have to be the ones to make that happen.

skbun

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor