Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby PalmettoC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Ok. Quick clarification on the edit limits... For example, if I create a new 4-way intersection, that is approximately 3-4 edits, correct? Then if I set the turn allowance for all directions, is that one edit, or is it 12. I can see this adding up quickly if that is how they are calculated and you have to create or edit several intersections.
PalmettoC

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Timbones wrote:(The callback to aboutToLoseChanges() is missing from window.onbeforeunload).

Jeez. You know, if they released what we had been testing, simple bugs like this wouldn't make it into the public release. After all this time, their testing/release methodology is still so immature.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:29 am

BUG: If you makes some changes, and navigate to another page, you no longer get the warning about losing unsaved changes.
(The callback to aboutToLoseChanges() is missing from window.onbeforeunload).
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Olestas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 am

New automated wrong route report is almost useless as I see it. It gives too short routes.. impossible to understand what happened there.
Without final destination its useless.
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:38 am

Just to address the oldness factor on some of these. I found two errors where Waze was directing people to cut across a parking lot (purple route went all the way across). One on each side of the lot. The road was last edited in July. So either its using data that far back, or Waze is routing people through parking lot segments.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:06 am

bz2012 wrote:Most of the automatic errors I have seen are crazy!

Most show WAZE routing people down single segments that terminate in a proper node.

For some strange reason, people tend to continue down the highway they were driving on, rather than turning down the dead end stub and WAZE complains about that! :)

I can't see any reason that WAZE tried to route them down the small side road, especially when it dead ends immediately.

Its often because there are no "U-Turns" nearby, and Waze wants the user to head the opposite direction, so it will route them onto the dead end street and have them u-turn there to go back the other direction.

This new error only shows us a purple route through one junction. So it shows you the turn onto the dead end, but not the second 180 degree turn at the end of the dead end.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bz2012 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:55 am

Most of the automatic errors I have seen are crazy!

Most show WAZE routing people down single segments that terminate in a proper node.

For some strange reason, people tend to continue down the highway they were driving on, rather than turning down the dead end stub and WAZE complains about that! :)

I can't see any reason that WAZE tried to route them down the small side road, especially when it dead ends immediately.

I have also seen a strange new tendency for WME to 'fast scroll' in the direction I have been dragging the map if I don't 'drop' the map quickly.

Rather annoying!

Then there is a lot of 'oh snap!' when WME gets lost while updating data and crashes.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 am

ArlenBystander wrote:I spent a bit of time earlier today going through the automated route deviation errors in my editable area. Most of them were errors that had already been fixed (routing onto alleys that were probably set as Service Road instead of Parking Lot or incorrect 1-way/2-way roads). I did, however come across more than one that needed to be fixed so can see this being useful once the reports from old data are cleared.

Makes you think of how many of the "General Errors" with no description and there route was cut off so you couldn't tell what the problem was were cleared. Now Waze shows us better routes thru errors. I would say more than half I cleared South of Chicago, I found the error.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ArlenBystander » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 am

I spent a bit of time earlier today going through the automated route deviation errors in my editable area. Most of them were errors that had already been fixed (routing onto alleys that were probably set as Service Road instead of Parking Lot or incorrect 1-way/2-way roads). I did, however come across more than one that needed to be fixed so can see this being useful once the reports from old data are cleared.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby skbun » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:16 am

AndyPoms wrote:
shawndoc wrote:You only need to check the marked junction to make sure the turn restrictions are set properly. I'm finding the majority have some sort of mistake.
With this type of automatic error, you need to check further down the route the user(s) did take as another turn (or series of turns) they took could be incorrect, or even segments with the wrong direction.

I've found having solved a couple dozen of these that it's more useful checking the route Waze wanted a user to take, although checking both is valuable.

Checking the user's route will give you a sense for where most people go when they think they know better - and in a situation like this, sometimes they do! And, as the OP said, you can find turn restrictions at the intersection or a bit down the road on the green routes...

Checking Waze's purple route though can take a little more digging, but in my own experience I'm finding that more than 50% - maybe even 75% of the time, there's a problem a short distance away from the intersection (3-5 segments) that explains Waze's choice. Often the UR will only have the first segment or two's instructions in the error...which isn't a HUGE problem; it just means that usually you'll be looking in 'the neighborhood you were pointed into'. In those situations, I've seen things like this in the purple segment directions:

* Neighborhoods Waze wants to go into (to cut off distance), with a 'Dead end' sign that, while they had other ways in and out than the one, clearly they're not meant to be used that way (think 'two track dirt road or other clearly 'not streets'), which I marked as 'parking lot roads'.
* U-turn possibilities that are really just somebody's driveway (I delete those if they're short stubs)
* Streets Waze wants to use marked as two-way but actually one way
* Speed gone to hyperspeed plaid on a segment inside Waze's choice, meaning it's favoring it because of a bad segment

That said, it'd be useful if these URs could show...how to explain...purple routes the same way it's showing the green ones, maybe 3 segments out. Then we can see if Waze is always pointing in one single direction, or if it's just going 'wherever' after that.
skbun

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor