Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 am

shawndoc wrote:You only need to check the marked junction to make sure the turn restrictions are set properly. I'm finding the majority have some sort of mistake.
With this type of automatic error, you need to check further down the route the user(s) did take as another turn (or series of turns) they took could be incorrect, or even segments with the wrong direction.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 am

jwkilgore wrote:New error: I have yet to resolve a "user didn't follow suggested route" error, but I have seen several. Just like UR "wrong driving direction errors" without any text, there's never enough info. I don't know the starting point, ending point, or traffic conditions. So far, there has been absolutely no way to determine why the drivers didn't follow the waze-suggested directions.

You only need to check the marked junction to make sure the turn restrictions are set properly. I'm finding the majority have some sort of mistake.

If the junction is correct, mark it solved and move on. If the junction is wrong, fix it, mark it solved and move on.

Remember, they're only asking you to "What to do: Check whether the route is allowed", not verify if the route is correct.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jwkilgore » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 pm

I originally had the freezing problem again (you could pick roads, but not edit them) requiring repeated page reloads (hit F5), but solved that problem by clearing my browser cache.

New error: I have yet to resolve a "user didn't follow suggested route" error, but I have seen several. Just like UR "wrong driving direction errors" without any text, there's never enough info. I don't know the starting point, ending point, or traffic conditions. So far, there has been absolutely no way to determine why the drivers didn't follow the waze-suggested directions.
jwkilgore

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Right now my only issue is speed. Zooming in and out has gotten slow as molasses, with the road imagery loading incredibly slowly or not at all in some cases.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 pm

skbun wrote:Just a heads up, all, about the nature of the 'route ignored' URs, as well...

Some of the history for these goes back at LEAST a couple weeks. One UR in Tukwila, WA I solved was Waze showing an ignored route onto a street that I moved/fixed on December 4, because a new road opened. I would guess that once this first round of them is dealt with, new ones will probably use more recent data. Just be careful of what Waze thinks it's routing onto to see if it wasn't already addressed some days/weeks ago.

Many of them are significantly older than that. This feature was enabled in the beta a few weeks ago. I have found "driven" and "requested" routes over roads which are moved in the editor or don't exist any longer. Based on what I've seen, some of these problems are over 2 months old. Not all, but many.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby psidoc74 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

There are many errors like this one...
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-88.32 ... TTTTTTTTFT
...where it impossible to tell if the driver just preferred a different route or Waze's route was incorrect, because we can't see further down the street to see where the final destination was.

I see a lot of turns where Waze's recommendation may be technically the fastest, but it's just a route most people living in the area aren't going to take because it doesn't follow a main road and may lead to a bunch of turns to get there. So what do I do with that? If I mark it "not identified," the system is going to continue to generate the same error over and over. What if I mark it "solved?" Will these future deviations no longer generate errors. It's not clear to me what the guidance would be in this situation.
psidoc74

Postby loadbang » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 pm

shawndoc wrote:The problem is the pin is placed directly on the junction, making it impossible to actually click on the junction. Even zoomed all the way in, I can't select the junction because the pin is in the way.

+1.

I experience the same.

shirlig wrote:* Roundabout radius is limited to 100 meters.

It is spelt 'metres'. A meter is something that is used to measure something, for example and electric meter or a gas meter.
loadbang

Postby skbun » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Just a heads up, all, about the nature of the 'route ignored' URs, as well...

Some of the history for these goes back at LEAST a couple weeks. One UR in Tukwila, WA I solved was Waze showing an ignored route onto a street that I moved/fixed on December 4, because a new road opened. I would guess that once this first round of them is dealt with, new ones will probably use more recent data. Just be careful of what Waze thinks it's routing onto to see if it wasn't already addressed some days/weeks ago.
skbun

Postby jemay » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 pm

skbun wrote: Why else would it route to a dead end road?
Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

The persons (7 routes) was going the opposite way then the routing was telling it to go. if it was a block you would have seen it go around the block to go back the other way. But instead it went to the dead end and if we could see the rest of the route it would point to the right (in this case). So the most likely problem is something further up the road that is not allowing the route to continue. That is one scenario that I could think of.
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 pm

skbun wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way the 'route ignored' UR in this screen capture below makes any sense would be if Bing is providing a bad lat/long for an address, right?

It's not so much in this case 'See if it's allowed'...but...

Anyway, I just want to get a sense for what other editors think here. Why else would it route to a dead end road?

Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I've seen a bunch of these as well. The other theory that has been put forth is that waze is attempting to route a u-turn and you are seeing the route in but not the route back out.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor