House numbers will be down for a while

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: House numbers will be down for a while

Postby Nacron » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:I think USPS is actually working/advocating to remove all punctuation (stop) characters from addresses, particularly house numbers. You may want to double-check with USPS, but those Hawaiian addresses with the dashes in the house numbers are probably now supposed to be written without the dashes.

We had a similar convention here in the Queens borough of New York City, where the first part of the house number before a dash character indicated the block the address was on, i.e. a cross street. USPS now instructs those complete house numbers to be written as a plain sequence of digits without any dashes, spaces, punctuation marks, or other stop characters.

Last I checked my house address still has a dash in it and so does all the new houses being built in Kapolei

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Nacron » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am

vickimachado wrote:I just key in my address with no dash, and the nav instructions handle it fine. My home is bookmarked, and when I have the audio instructions running it reads 46111 as "46-one-eleven," just as if the dash had been there.

I think when the numbering system comes back online the focus should be on pinpointing business addresses, since those are the ones Bing can't seem to keep up with.

I do realize that dashed addresses can be searched in app but the fact that I'm pointing out is that in the current iteration of address adding in the map editor, you cannot use dashes.

Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Nacron » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm

leifnei wrote:
Nacron wrote:What about adding dashes to address numbers. In Hawaii probably 70% off address look like 94-953 Waikele st.

Does the dash mean anything else that the thousand-separator?
Or would 949-53 be another house than 9-4953?

It's generally an area number. It's not for thousands as the address can go up like 94-1866. Only older areas have non dashed addresses and it applies to all islands in Hawaii. 94 is Waipahu Waikele area. I 've seen 66-xxx on the big island. Google maps does not deal with this effectively, in Google's eyes every single address in my area is just 94

Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby mssusa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 am

AndyPoms wrote:
The new system sounds like it will be one address at one point - i.e. Put a pin on the map, assign it the address of "123 Main St. Anytown, USA", so it should easily handle your nonsequential addresses...

I hope it does. However, it is always scary when waze gods like Alan and Andy and many others have no concrete information. Do HQ talk to anybody before they do anything?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:17 pm

AndyPoms wrote:The new system sounds like it will be one address at one point - i.e. Put a pin on the map, assign it the address of "123 Main St. Anytown, USA", so it should easily handle your nonsequential addresses...

And hopefully differentiate between '123A' and '123B Main Street' as well, though I suppose a single '123' marker is close enough.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: House numbers will be down for a while

Postby timbucks » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:47 pm

vickimachado wrote:Thanks! I wondered what the ETA for "road testing" the new numbers would be. (And I realize, that's just an estimate.)

And also is the go live for number searching before the beta for alphanumeric numbers? Logic would say that doing the latter first would make more sense!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
timbucks

Postby Machete808 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks! I wondered what the ETA for "road testing" the new numbers would be. (And I realize, that's just an estimate.)
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 am

SirCH wrote:So, I updated some house numbers last weekend, however even though the map tiles have been updated, the house numbers are just ignored when I search from the client, or from browser live map or update map. Is anybody else having the same problem? :?

As noted in many other threads about house numbers, the routing server and app are not yet ready for the in-Waze house numbers. In the next month or two, though, we should be able to see them in action.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SirCH » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:47 am

So, I updated some house numbers last weekend, however even though the map tiles have been updated, the house numbers are just ignored when I search from the client, or from browser live map or update map. Is anybody else having the same problem? :?
SirCH

Postby skbun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Opinion incoming: This thread should be un-stickied now because the 'outage' is completed. House numbers are no longer 'down', and feedback about house numbers should really be going in the 'new version feedback thread'.
skbun

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor