House numbers will be down for a while

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

House numbers will be down for a while

Postby asterix06 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 pm

maantje76 wrote:
timbucks wrote:Excellent. Doing delivery driving at night will eventually become easier

Something like Asterix06? ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356281450.422268.jpg
[/quote

???? What does it mean ?

Iphone6 Waze 4.10
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, CM Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
Forum Moderator
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: House numbers will be down for a while

Postby Nacron » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm

What about adding dashes to address numbers. In Hawaii probably 70% off address look like 94-953 Waikele st.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby leifnei » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:56 am

Nacron wrote:What about adding dashes to address numbers. In Hawaii probably 70% off address look like 94-953 Waikele st.

Does the dash mean anything else that the thousand-separator?
Or would 949-53 be another house than 9-4953?
leifnei

Re: Re: House numbers will be down for a while

Postby Nacron » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm

leifnei wrote:
Nacron wrote:What about adding dashes to address numbers. In Hawaii probably 70% off address look like 94-953 Waikele st.

Does the dash mean anything else that the thousand-separator?
Or would 949-53 be another house than 9-4953?

It's generally an area number. It's not for thousands as the address can go up like 94-1866. Only older areas have non dashed addresses and it applies to all islands in Hawaii. 94 is Waipahu Waikele area. I 've seen 66-xxx on the big island. Google maps does not deal with this effectively, in Google's eyes every single address in my area is just 94

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Machete808 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm

I just key in my address with no dash, and the nav instructions handle it fine. My home is bookmarked, and when I have the audio instructions running it reads 46111 as "46-one-eleven," just as if the dash had been there.

I think when the numbering system comes back online the focus should be on pinpointing business addresses, since those are the ones Bing can't seem to keep up with.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles
Country manager, Thailand
Image Image
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby McCracken808 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:29 am

In reference to the Hawaii addresses, the prefix is for tax key mapping.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

ImageImageImage
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.8, Mazda3
McCracken808
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Nacron » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am

vickimachado wrote:I just key in my address with no dash, and the nav instructions handle it fine. My home is bookmarked, and when I have the audio instructions running it reads 46111 as "46-one-eleven," just as if the dash had been there.

I think when the numbering system comes back online the focus should be on pinpointing business addresses, since those are the ones Bing can't seem to keep up with.

I do realize that dashed addresses can be searched in app but the fact that I'm pointing out is that in the current iteration of address adding in the map editor, you cannot use dashes.

Android Beta | WME Beta
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Suik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Great idea with pinpointing housenumbers :). Please keep in mind possible address format "streetname 1" & "streetname 1/A", where streetname is the same street....so basically the house number field should accept numbers, letters, (some) non-alphabet signs :)
BA-SVK & surroundings AreaManager, Soc. Med. XP
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V Exception+HTC One S, stock Android 4.0.4, waze 3.6.0.0
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko
Suik

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I think USPS is actually working/advocating to remove all punctuation (stop) characters from addresses, particularly house numbers. You may want to double-check with USPS, but those Hawaiian addresses with the dashes in the house numbers are probably now supposed to be written without the dashes.

We had a similar convention here in the Queens borough of New York City, where the first part of the house number before a dash character indicated the block the address was on, i.e. a cross street. USPS now instructs those complete house numbers to be written as a plain sequence of digits without any dashes, spaces, punctuation marks, or other stop characters.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Nacron » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:I think USPS is actually working/advocating to remove all punctuation (stop) characters from addresses, particularly house numbers. You may want to double-check with USPS, but those Hawaiian addresses with the dashes in the house numbers are probably now supposed to be written without the dashes.

We had a similar convention here in the Queens borough of New York City, where the first part of the house number before a dash character indicated the block the address was on, i.e. a cross street. USPS now instructs those complete house numbers to be written as a plain sequence of digits without any dashes, spaces, punctuation marks, or other stop characters.

Last I checked my house address still has a dash in it and so does all the new houses being built in Kapolei

Android Beta | WME Beta
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor