House numbers will be down for a while

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: House numbers will be down for a while

Postby twist3r » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I get that and somehow I can understand.
My question is why Waze didn't started with numeral and non numeral from the scratch. In terms of developing something like this from scratch it is really no difference.
I see how starting with only numeral system and then after a while some guy from a remote country starts to cry about not having non numeral characters could be a pain in the a**.
But Waze should have thought this from the beginning and start develop with this in mind. As a developer myself I don't see how starting with both numeral and non numeral system would have been more difficult for a developer. It is really no difference.

Anyway it's a little bit late for that but it's really a shame that such an important feature is released and I can't take any advantage of it. And more than that, it will be a shame when I will see confusion between new editors asking why they can't enter a correct address number. And the final user will sense that too because when you're expecting an app to do something, you really expect to do it properly. In my town going to number 18a on a street and going to 18g it is really not the same thing.

I'm even starting to consider not to add any number on those streets with letters in their address because will lead only to many angry users. And it is really not why I take my time to edit Waze maps. And it was always my belief that instead of a really bad data it's better with no data. That way the user will inform himself from another source. Just my thoughts, I hope nobody will see me as a really annoying guy for what I've wrote :)
twist3r
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't think there is any question that waze is working to support non-numerals in house numbers. The only question is whether waze should delay implementing the system in a numeral only form while they work to add other characters. I believe that they have already decided that the answer is no.
CBenson

Postby twist3r » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

So it seems that there are already few countries where only numbers will not be sufficient for a proper address. And I'm sure there are others too ...
twist3r
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby paulkok_my » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm

In Malaysia there are house numbers such as 3A instead of No 4.
paulkok_my
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 pm

And in Latvia we often have numbers such as 232/1, 232/2, 232/3 (or 232k-1, 232k-2, 232k-3... which is the same) ... These are different buildings. The same goes to 232a, 232b, 232c...
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby lhurgoyf21 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

Hello,

I am joining Twist3r about the letter in the house numbers : in Poland we have also such address :
10B 10C
we have for example some address like this :
Sarmacka 7c , Warsaw
Obrzeżna 1A , Warsaw

and it is quite usual situation.

Regards
Lhurgoyf
Area Manager
lhurgoyf21

Postby twist3r » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

cptpalmer wrote:Where in the wiki is the new documentation? I can not find it.

http://world.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Ho ... the_Editor
twist3r
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby twist3r » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
twist3r wrote:But when I'm expecting that Waze to do it and it will drive me to a hole other house than the correct one it will be a little bit irritating.

How far apart are the houses numbered 18A and 18D for example?

It can be from 10m to 1km. It really depends on the type of the city/country village. In Romania the house numbering system is not so smooth like in other countries and there are a lot of problems because of this. I can tell that there are cases when one house is numbered 18 and the next to it is 186. It's a very twisted system and it does no good to us but we have to deal with it.

In towns, the system is somehow more smooth but the problem here is that in towns that have more apartments flats than houses, the numbering system is even missing sometimes. My current address for example now is missing a number. It has only Street and apartment flat name which is currently H4. So the issue is more bigger than that. On the streets that have only houses usually there are numbered ones but as I said before there are a lot of them with letters in them too.

I wrote on our own forum this issue because I think my country manager is best to be dealing with this issue and he can take it to a hole different level. It's not fair for me to speak for an entire country, I just wanted to state that in Romania this numbering system will only bring confusion in some towns/villages.
twist3r
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CptPalmer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Where in the wiki is the new documentation? I can not find it.
CptPalmer

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:23 pm

twist3r wrote:But when I'm expecting that Waze to do it and it will drive me to a hole other house than the correct one it will be a little bit irritating.

How far apart are the houses numbered 18A and 18D for example?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor