[Script] WME Add-Ons V0.45 ==> Features moved in WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Add-Ons

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm

gdu1971 wrote:
davipt wrote:so something has changed on WME and the script can't gather the coordinates from the internal data, only when they aren't already present on the location bar. This used to work before as far as I can remember, so it has to be a change on WME.

Hi Guys,
this is normally fixed in V0.42 release.
I forgot to mention it in the changelog :?
Let me know.

Lol, sorry my fault. Works as intended now :)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

kodi75 wrote:Not sure what you mean - I tried copying the permalink before hitting the live map link and that didn't work. As an easy workaround, I edited the address bar in Live Map from "&zoom=9" to "&zoom=15". Any zoom level over 15 is too far, showing the entire country.

On my version:
https://world.waze.com/editor/
open in livemap fails with:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lat=&lon=&zoom=9

on the other hand, hit permalink on WME, get for example:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lat=38.6 ... FTTFTTTTFT
open in livemap opens correctly:
https://world.waze.com/livemap/?lat=38. ... 164&zoom=9

so something has changed on WME and the script can't gather the coordinates from the internal data, only when they aren't already present on the location bar. This used to work before as far as I can remember, so it has to be a change on WME.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

kodi75 wrote:Lately the "Open in Live Map" link does open the area in Live Map, however it is zoomed out to a view that includes most of my state!

The "Open in livemap" seems to be working only if WME has a query string. For example, clicking on the permalink to get the url editor?zoom=x&lat etc etc, then open in livemap works nicely. But if the url is simply /editor/, livemap is open also without parameters and on the last place it was open before.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

fvwazing wrote:Chances are 100 to 1 that someone will come along and remove the TR, destroying that brittle arrangement. Insert a stretch of parking lot road instead and name it "Residential access only" (so the next editor has a clue at least).

If it's residential access only shouldn't it be a private segment? Or is it a public mostly building parking street that goes parallel to a main street and waze tends to route through it because probably the main street has more junctions?
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

CBenson wrote:So what are you arguing about? What I wrote in the wiki on unknown directionality is here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... _Direction Is there some dispute regarding how unknown direction roads function? Or is this discussion about soft one-way roads?

I digressed into a generic "I know that we all know what we doing but some people don't" and that segments manually set to two-ways by some people around me are harder to fix back into one-way (manual edit) than soft one-ways will turn into two-ways (automatic edit). Completely unrelated to the "i know this town have all two-ways and need to change them" which I fully agree, and apologize for the digression. So at the core it might indeed be a soft vs. hard one-way discussion, off topic here.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:What do you mean fallacy? No of course I can't find the exact sentence on the wiki,

Then you shouldn't say the Wiki says so, cause it probably doesn't.

It's hard to search stuff on the wiki and forum. I do remember my discovery started with this post, but can't recall where I jumped from there on.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:If you have local knowledge and know all the streets are two-way, then it's better to set them all to two-way, as that is what they should be. As long as you then take the time to add all the other data - road names, turn restrictions, etc.

Sure. The script does this and much more. The one I like the most is to select all segments without an average speed to identify areas where people never passed by (or just half a dozen passages), or then filter by each speed and see areas where people surely cross the limits. o.O
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

rottielover wrote:http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Automatic_map_updates_and_the_locking_of_roads

Which advises, in part: "...It will change the directionality of a road, enable turns, and reportedly it will change the geometry or layout of a road.
This can cause map errors, especially in areas where there are few wazers. One wazer who always travels one way down a road may change a correctly recorded two-way road into one-way."

I was once curious about this one so we have setup a certain remote and not used one-way segment as two-way and have, two guys, driven there every day for some weeks to test it. It never changed to one-way. It may apply if the road becomes automatically two-ways because of people driving both ways, and later become one-way if people starts driving only one way, but after setting it manually to two ways it never changed. And obviously it wasn't locked.

Anyway we're not arguing against each other here, if we are all in this thread we all surely know the power of this script and the amazing help it provides, as well as dangerous damages it can potentially do. And I see no issues for a entire small town to be set as two-ways (even all directions), and I have plenty of cases like those, but personally I do prefer people to drive there and have waze automatically learn the directions and the position of the road. Mostly because of lazyness and having other more important fixes to do ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Ah.... that old fallacy.

BTW, where in the wiki does it say that?

What do you mean fallacy? No of course I can't find the exact sentence on the wiki, or the forum, but isn't it well known that streets do change from unknown to one-way and to two-way, but will never ever be able to learn and switch back from two-way to one-way? Also routes will prefer segments manually set to two-way over segments marked as unknown?
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

rottielover wrote:
davipt wrote:Please. Do. Not. Do. That!

Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Now about the dead end roads it would indeed be nice to have waze automatically set them to two-ways and add the node at the end, instead of the effort editors need to do to fix them up and specially when it requires extra scripts to detect and fix them.

Whoa, slow down there. 1st, I'm talking about an area I have first hand knowledge of, there are NO one way streets in these towns. 2nd, we're talking about basemapped areas, a good number of the streets are in the wrong locations, etc, because this data was imported. These small towns take me forever to clean up.

If the street is set to a one way, even though it's two way, won't that generate an auto pin? If unknown waze would eventually learn, but if I have the knowledge why not put it on the map now and make wazing easier for the clients?

As TonyG-UK said, it has always been possible to do what you want, if you know where to look and what exactly you are doing. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but I surely don't want these kind of features to be too easy for anyone to use them and screw things up. Also because I have a city center where someone decided to make everything two-way when the streets are all one-way and can't even fit a car if another one is parked :D
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts