Contribution frustrated in Mountain View, CA

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Contribution frustrated in Mountain View, CA

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 pm

We usually don't lock parking lots down, but in this case I'm going to do it...

I need you to keep a VERY close eye on it (check it as often as you can) to see if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).

I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.

...and then SNAP...they will be caught in our trap. :twisted:

I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

AndyPoms wrote:We usually don't lock parking lots down, but in this case I'm going to do it...

I need you to keep a VERY close eye on it (check it as often as you can) to see if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).

I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.

FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm

shawndoc wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:We usually don't lock parking lots down, but in this case I'm going to do it...

FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:
WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!?! :lol:

In all seriousness, as long as Kent keeps an eye on it & you respond to a possible PM by pointing the user to this thread and Kent, we're all good.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RoyaltyWoody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 am

AndyPoms wrote: ... if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).

I think that's unlikely, as the last time they deleted my work the segments on the main roads were left separate. (I STRONGLY suspect it was another level 1 editor.)
Using Waze on HTC One M9
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby RoyaltyWoody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.

Thanks!

At this intersection https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... s=70697762 you cannot just drive across to Oak Ln. The geometry just isn't quite there. You'd either have to drive the wrong way S on Grant before getting into the L turn lane, or go around the median and risk being hit by S-bound traffic on the other side, or drivers turning R out of Oak. ;)

Regarding other segments in this lot ... as I understand the Parking Lot Wiki, it seems like one helpful thing would be to add the lanes that run parallel to ECR in order to "capture" the parking lot traffic so it's not messing with traffic speeds on ECR. It would also be helpful to add the entrance/exit directly onto ECR that's used by both the gas station and the rest of the strip-mall's customers.

One final note: while the gas station is "Coast Gas", in the app it's listed as "Houtan Petroleum". I've never heard of "Houtan" and never found any other (current) source that uses that name. (And my spouse - who's lived in this area for decades - doesn't recall it EVER being called "Houtan".) Now, it's possible that there's a Houtan Petroleum corporation behind Coast Gas. But no Wazer will find a Houtan Petroleum anywhere near that corner.
Using Waze on HTC One M9
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby RoyaltyWoody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.

Because this segment https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=9&lat ... s=70697758 is locked, the two adjoining segments could not be connected to it, nor have all the turns been allowed.

When that's fixed, (along with the edit mentioned above), I think this lot will be done... enough for now. (Some day, when we've got the rest of the city, county, state, etc. completed, and GPS's are accurate to within 2', we'll undoubtedly have time to get to mapping every parking space. :lol: )
Using Waze on HTC One M9
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Spil » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:23 am

shawndoc wrote:FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:

If you're stupid, you're not the only one. Because the lock request was at the bottom of the page (and I didn't see that there was another page), I went there too ... then when I started to lock it, I saw that Shawn and Jason had both locked those segments, so I didn't bother saving my locks. I did go back in, though, and fixed some soft nodes in the parking lot -- so there are a few there with my name on them as well now. Perhaps when the guy sees locks by three different L5's, he'll start to get a clue about that lot. :lol:

EDIT: Maybe I can be helpful -- I fixed that intersection that Dave mentioned while I was typing the above. ;)
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil

Postby RoyaltyWoody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 am

Spil wrote:
shawndoc wrote:FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:

If you're stupid, you're not the only one. Because the lock request was at the bottom of the page (and I didn't see that there was another page), I went there too ... then when I started to lock it, I saw that Shawn and Jason had both locked those segments, so I didn't bother saving my locks. I did go back in, though, and fixed some soft nodes in the parking lot -- so there are a few there with my name on them as well now. Perhaps when the guy sees locks by three different L5's, he'll start to get a clue about that lot. :lol:

No more worries. I've edited my post on the bottom of pg 2 to note that it'd been locked. Hopefully no one else falls into that trap and feel stupid. ;)

Spil wrote:EDIT: Maybe I can be helpful -- I fixed that intersection that Dave mentioned while I was typing the above. ;)

Thanks!
Using Waze on HTC One M9
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 am

I was just looking at things being nosy and saw an unnecessary geometry node and compulsively deleted it, so that lock shifted over to me.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor