Street names (E,W,N,S) when it is not part of name

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby jmp316 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 am

Just read this whole thread. When changing street names you have to know you're area. For example in Chicago, the whole city uses N, S, W, E in their street naming and address system, so changing this would be a disaster. Bottom line: be careful.
jmp316

Postby Chris_CA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Looking how this should be handled or is called out in the wiki somewhere.
Probably been discussed previously but...

Many places on the WAZE map have E,W,N,S in front of the street name even though it is not part of the street name. It is simply the address location of the street (east vs. west, north vs south).

When navigating, Waze tells you to turn onto north/south/east/west XXX street when there is nothing to indicate A street named this.

Example here - Academy Boulevard on Colorado Springs, CO.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... ts=8586615

There are no street signs labeled North Academy Blvd, nothing in Colorado Springs street department or planning commission or GIS maps or post office.
Nothing anywhere indicates the name is North (or south) Academy Boulevard.

Another example in downtown Salt Lake City.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

There is no street named W South Temple St or S 300 W or W 100 S.
The names are simply South Temple St, 300 W, 100 S, BUT Waze tells user to turn left onto South 300 West and the only signs are for 300 West

Went to Utah this week and it was a small bit of confusion at first but simply had to to ignore part of what Waze was telling me to do.
Not very helpful if someone drive around looking for the street name Waze is calling out.
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Street names (E,W,N,S) when it is not part of name

Postby Chris_CA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 am

bgodette wrote:I don't see how you're confused by E/W 300 N and N/S 400 E but are ok with E/W 3rd St and N/S Delaware Ave.

I'm not confused which is why I wrote, "I was initially a bit confused".
North 300 East street is a bit different than North 3rd street.

Sorry to have bothered you all while seeking some simple advice.
Later...
:?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 am

Chris_CA wrote:
bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system.

It was a joke. :roll:
I didn't look up an actual route but one could come up with a correct route with similar (meaning not exact) with a bunch (more than one) of n/s/e/w used.
I don't see how you're confused by E/W 300 N and N/S 400 E but are ok with E/W 3rd St and N/S Delaware Ave.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Chris_CA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 am

bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system.

It was a joke. :roll:
I didn't look up an actual route but one could come up with a correct route with similar (meaning not exact) with a bunch (more than one) of n/s/e/w used.
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 am

Chris_CA wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:It makes much more sense than towns that have the N and S streets parallel to each other on opposite sides of town.

Yes it does.

"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system. That's like saying head east on W 3rd St (W 300 N) (numeric e/w are north of origin in almost every city in the US) to S Dover St (S 400 E) and somehow magically be transported at least 4 blocks south.

All this stuff mattered in the before time pre GPS and MapQuest, when you actually had to find an address with just the address and the street signs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Chris_CA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 pm

jasonh300 wrote:It makes much more sense than towns that have the N and S streets parallel to each other on opposite sides of town.

Yes it does.

"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Chris_CA wrote:I was initially a bit confused when I was driving and Waze told me to turn left on north 300 west. I thought maybe Waze was incorrect and the previous/next street was north 300 W.

In this case, you wouldn't have much choice if you were mapping it from scratch, in the absence of a basemap. The Colorado GIS maps and the street signs would be your only legitimate source for the information.

gettingthere wrote:I am generalizing this. I have not looked at nor nor the history of your specific example.

In the case of Colorado Springs, there's a road that divides the north and south streets and it was probably organized like that from the very beginning, back in the stagecoach days. This actually prevents the scenario you described...as the town grows outward, the addresses go up in every direction.

It makes much more sense than towns that have the N and S streets parallel to each other on opposite sides of town.
jasonh300

Postby gettingthere » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Chris_CA wrote:
gettingthere wrote:The reason for this is due to the way the road network grew years ago. The street addresses start at 0 or 100 and increment in one direction. Then there is a need to extend the road in the other direction but they don't want to re-number every home and business. So they start up a 'new' road heading the other direction and make it North Academy Ave one direction and South Academy Ave in the other direction. Generally where they meet the addressing starts at 0 or 100 and increments heading away from the intersection.

So you are suggesting at some point, the road was named "Academy Blvd" and it was changed to "North Academy Blvd" and they also created a new street named "South Academy Blvd"?

I am generalizing this. I have not looked at nor nor the history of your specific example.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Chris_CA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm

bgodette wrote:Only because Colorado Springs is being cheap on their signage.

As is SLC, Ogden and every town in between?
If you were mapping these roads from scratch, and all you had to go by was the GIS maps and the street signs, you wouldn't put a direction in. However, since these are from the basemap, there's no need to change them.

Okay. This makes sense. I can see the usefulness in having it there.
I wouldn't think of changing something like this just to change it but just looking for some type of guidance/consistency.
I was initially a bit confused when I was driving and Waze told me to turn left on north 300 west. I thought maybe Waze was incorrect and the previous/next street was north 300 W.

Some of the streets in SLC in Waze are labeled 300 N (only as an example) but most seem to be labeled W 400 N (only as an example).
Last edited by Chris_CA on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor