Turn Restrictions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Turn Restrictions

Postby barrynof » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

How do I edit a turn restriction where the community has made a law that you cannot turn right onto a street between the hours of 7:30 a.m. And 8:30 a.m.?
barrynof

Re: Turn Restrictions

Postby Mike-1323 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 am

kentsmith9 wrote:From what I heard at the US meetup in March, it appears to be the next big feature that will be added. It was not clear how long that would be though.

C'mon this is Waze . . . it'll be soon. :lol:
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 am

From what I heard at the US meetup in March, it appears to be the next big feature that will be added. It was not clear how long that would be though.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Mike-1323 wrote:A UR gets generated and some editor who may or may not know the turn in question is time-restricted toggles it based on the UR. Even if the editor checking the UR knows the time restriction problem and has the turn set right the user who feels their problem hasn't been fixed may come into the editor and change it...

Thus the recommendation to lock adjacent roads--so that an experienced editor has to be called in before the turn can be changed.

I just hope that the time-based restrictions make it into WME and the routing server soon.

Can't happen soon enough!
harling

Postby Mike-1323 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

CBenson wrote:I think ambiguous is just the way it is. People do clearly handle the same situation differently, which is why there has been so much discussion. There is no good solution. Anything you do will produce bad results for someone. But, this should all be moot if we ever actually get the ability to address time restricted turns properly on the map.

I think a big part of the problem is the lack of understanding at the user level regarding time-restricted turns. The user gets a route that tries to take them an unexpected way, either avoiding a currently allowed turn or routing through a time-restricted turn. A UR gets generated and some editor who may or may not know the turn in question is time-restricted toggles it based on the UR. Even if the editor checking the UR knows the time restriction problem and has the turn set right the user who feels their problem hasn't been fixed may come into the editor and change it. This is one of those instances where communication with the author of a UR would be mildly useful. :roll:

I just hope that the time-based restrictions make it into WME and the routing server soon.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

james8970 wrote:I think it ought to a little less ambiguous, as I find that's a little too open ended and will lead to people handling the same situation differently.

I think ambiguous is just the way it is. People do clearly handle the same situation differently, which is why there has been so much discussion. There is no good solution. Anything you do will produce bad results for someone. But, this should all be moot if we ever actually get the ability to address time restricted turns properly on the map.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm

harling wrote:Upon review, I found that it was jasonh200 who added the original section to the BP document in May 2012, so the conversation that led up to it was more recent than I thought. (I did make several additions to the document myself as far back as late 2010, but obviously my contribution to the wording of this section took place in the forum, rather than in editing the document first-hand.)

I remember adding that. IIRC, there was discussion somewhere in the forums, and I believe you either posted that language into the forum, or PMed it to me and I added to the Wiki.
jasonh300

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am

dctdye wrote:I'm sure there is a more appropriate place to discuss the FAQ wiki, but the question right after about wrong address locations needs to be updated soon since house numbers are now back online.

It is in process here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dctdye » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 am

I'm sure there is a more appropriate place to discuss the FAQ wiki, but the question right after about wrong address locations needs to be updated soon since house numbers are now back online.
dctdye

Postby harling » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Now we have the history back on the 100+ changes that were made to this page over time and the couple of additional changes we made not noticing it had been moved.

Upon review, I found that it was jasonh200 who added the original section to the BP document in May 2012, so the conversation that led up to it was more recent than I thought. (I did make several additions to the document myself as far back as late 2010, but obviously my contribution to the wording of this section took place in the forum, rather than in editing the document first-hand.)
What I found on the turn restrictions issue is that from a forum conversation some time ago (about October 2012) one editor made some changes to the FAQ trying to summarize the discussion.

Yes: upon discovering the change to the document (to enable rather than to restrict), the consensus was that it should not have been changed. Upon discovering a couple months later that it had never been fixed, and hearing no objections, I did so on 18 December.
After that there were follow up conversations in February 2013 that lead to my creating the Time Restricted Turn template that now appears in the "best map editing practices" article. When I made that change, I forgot there was content in the FAQ, so tonight I made the FAQ more closely match the "best practices" content.

I believe both now reflect our consensus from the forum discussion in February 2013.

Thank you.
harling

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor