Naming conventions

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Naming conventions

Postby matteocucchi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 am

kpouer wrote:Hi, I think I don't agree with the South Africa wiki about naming numbered roads.
They say that the number should be appended to the road name like William Nicol Dr (R511).
I think it is a bad idea as if one day Nigeria get road shields it will cause problems.
And the problem of number vs road name is the same for all countries I think.
The road name is known by local users, and the number is used by travelling users.
When a road starts with "NX - some name" when you are driving long distance you can just follow the road number and understand that it is the same road.
If it is in the end it is impossible to follow a road.

Hi kpouer, I totally agree with you. As I said before:
With numbered road we can use the convention you propose, it can also be useful if and when Waze will introduce shields in Nigeria.
I proposed the South Africa wiki only becouse it's the only African Country with a wiki page :D but I never drove in Nigeria so I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad idea. Waiting for a feedback from Isah.
Matteo
Country Manager Italy, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Gabon
ImageImageImage Image ↖Istruzioni per editare
matteocucchi
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby matteocucchi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 pm

hypermiler99 wrote:Hi everyone,

It is nice and heart warming to know that you guys are trying to create and improve the road networks in Nigeria.

Hi, it is a great challenge for us, Africa is soooo big :-D

I have evaluated the several options on naming roads as discussed above, what I have started doing recently (especially in Ikoyi City of Lagos) is to name a road in line with the government, and add an alternative name that the residents are familiar with.

I think it is right. The problem for us is to have a good and possibly official source for road names.
Example:
actually I'm editing National Highways, my goal is to create soon the Hw Network so that we can connect major cities. I have founded in Wikipedia the numbers of Highways and the names of the main cities connected but in Gmaps I see that roads have also a name and I wonder if it is correct.

While I expect that the alternative names will show up in search for navigation, I do not expect that it will be displayed on the map by default. Please explain to me further the use of the alternative naming for roads.

Yes It is right, alternate names are only for search.

It will take a resident of Lagos State to properly demarcate the cities, because of these particular nature of the state.

Ok I understand it is not so easy, I hope to have soon editors from Lagos State :-D

Currently editing Kano, Lagos, Delta and part of Kogi and Rivers states. Will continue to improve the details.

Good job! Remember to lock at your maximum. When I edit highways I lock them at lev5 but when I find intersections with secondary roads I create segments with lev1 lock so that any editor can connect.
Matteo
matteocucchi
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby matteocucchi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

hypermiler99 wrote:Hi Matteo,

I have created some roads in Kano but could not connect them to the freeways because they are locked to a higher level. Could you please help these roads to the freeways.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=8.4954 ... 67&env=row

I've unlocked Katisna Rd. Do you think it is large enought for being splitted in two separated one-way segments? If it is, then you can create the second segment and connect Kasali - Kabuga Rd. Remember to use abbreviations: Road -> Rd

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=8.54738&lat=11.91465&zoom=7&layers=935&env=row&segments=242709482

The lock is lev6, kpouer or Asterix can help

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=8.59252&lat=11.96284&zoom=6&layers=935&env=row&segments=241339777

Done.
Matteo
matteocucchi
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Nigeria