Closed Road while Road works

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Closed Road while Road works

Postby CBenson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

Caradellino wrote:[therefore how would they get the information?
By the wazer reporting the road closed - that's the whole point. Sure waze can't just assume that a road is closed where there is no traffic. But no traffic and a road closed report would seem good enough to me. There really shouldn't be any problem with malicious (ignorant or otherwise erroneous) reports on high volume freeways, because its likely there will be wazers traversing the road.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Caradellino » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am

CBenson wrote:By the wazer reporting the road closed

Of course, I agree, that is the easy part, no doubt on that. It could be done much like the normal reports, but without being automatically deleted after a certain periode of time.
CBenson wrote:There really shouldn't be any problem with malicious (ignorant or otherwise erroneous) reports on high volume freeways, because its likely there will be wazers traversing the road.

Thats the part I'm not so sure about. In theory I agree with you, but practically I think Wazers would avoid a route over a closed road. So you need scouts traveling intentionally to a closed road to check it, spreading the news, so that Wazers start traversing the before closed roads again to generate the information you think to use to cancel the report.
A maybe better way could be a feature, that allows you to quit the report - especially if you have additional sources of information, best from remote location, so you don't have to wait until you get there again.
Malicious (ignorant or otherwise erroneous) reports could be dealt with immediately too - by the next passing Wazer.

For background information: here in Austria we have (beside the main cities) a rather scarce Wazer density, thats why I fear, we won't get enough Wazer tracks to remove a road closure automatically.
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm

The saving grace for a malicious user reporting a freeway closed would have to be OTHER Wazers CURRENTLY on the same segment. Say 3 Wazers are driving on the Freeway around the same time and place (details of what is close enough time and distance wise would have to be determined). One reports road closed. The other two fly by at freeway speed like nothing is wrong. Waze could then ignore the report.

If there are enough Wazer's, it shouldn't be an issue.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:If there are enough Wazer's, it shouldn't be an issue.

This and other things are what I meant by "there must be very strict controls."
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Caradellino » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:The saving grace for a malicious user reporting a freeway closed would have to be OTHER Wazers CURRENTLY on the same segment. Say 3 Wazers are driving on the Freeway around the same time and place (details of what is close enough time and distance wise would have to be determined). One reports road closed. The other two fly by at freeway speed like nothing is wrong. Waze could then ignore the report.

WeeeZer14, I think your concept is perfect for dense areas - as you state yourself
WeeeZer14 wrote:If there are enough Wazer's

But what if there are not - there has to be a way in removing erroneous (think positive ;) ) reports without being there or the need of going there.

Don't get me wrong, i second such a feature very much - but it has to be as fast as a report but stay there until terminated. :!:
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:25 pm

We now need to find out what Waze plans to do with the "Road Closed" report type just added to the app in the iOS beta.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mouseRider » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I usually do a disconnect or depending on the situation, just delete the road being changed especially if it is not going to exist in the future either. I don't rely on turn restrictions very often because they are not foolproof an Waze can and does route through them if it calculates a lower penalty for doing so.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.

I just encountered this situation around Marshalls Creek, PA. Massive constructions in that area and two bridges were out and Waze was directing me to the first then to the second as a redirect.

I've since used turn-restrictions on both to reflect the construction as I'm not certain how long the work will be and hesitant to delete the closed segment.

Perhaps a COMMENT field in the Map Editor would be another great feature to have to allow contributors to attach a comment to certain changes.

The unpredictability of the LiveMap update schedule is probably the one thing that would toss a wrench into any effort to get the maps beneficially up-to-date with construction closures and even more so for short-term and very-short-term closures—All of which could be a great advantage to Wazers if they are accurately reflected in a timely manner.
mouseRider

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm

mouseRider wrote:Perhaps a COMMENT field in the Map Editor would be another great feature to have to allow contributors to attach a comment to certain changes.

The unpredictability of the LiveMap update schedule is probably the one thing that would toss a wrench into any effort to get the maps beneficially up-to-date with construction closures and even more so for short-term and very-short-term closures—All of which could be a great advantage to Wazers if they are accurately reflected in a timely manner.

Map editor annotations have been requested and Waze supposedly has it on the roadmap, but it's not going to happen soon. There is a 3rd party "solution" used by editors on the World server.

As of June, the LiveMap absolutely cannot be counted on. I found that it recently changed to show "9/3/2012" in my area, but it has roads showing at all zoom levels which I deleted back in early June. Only use the app to see what the current state of the map is.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:47 am

Turn restrictions and disconnecting roads are all well and good if you're an area manager, but if the road is locked, I can't do jack. Bankhead Tunnel in Mobile, Alabama is closed this week for repairs, so it wouldn't even show up in the map since it's not updated but once in a blue moon. This is where that "road closed" alert would sure come in handy.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Caradellino » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm

CrackedLCD wrote: it wouldn't even show up in the map since it's not updated but once in a blue moon

...therefore it has to be a client-based solution, i don't think, there's a way around it. Imagine the Fuel prices had to be managed via WME... :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:We now need to find out what Waze plans to do with the "Road Closed" report type just added to the app in the iOS beta.

So maybe there is hope in this matter, think positive... :mrgreen:
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor