Shields

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Shields

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:05 am

Saw this one today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348286687.675964.jpg
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
jasonh300

Shields

Postby txemt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Is there a bug with the shields for highways? I noticed with the last tile update, some highways that were labeled XXX N or XX S had shields and some didn't. I remember a thread a long time ago about the absence of shields on some roads, and whatnot, but has that been figured out?
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Shields

Postby n8nagel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:03 pm

The circles already exist and are working in MD, but only for the "State Hwy xxx" verbiage, they apparently aren't tied to "State Rte xxx" or "SR-xxx".
n8nagel

Postby Panther37 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I'd be happy with SR-XXXX giving the default basic circle for all states. I could also make the graphic in both vector and bitmap. I could even make an elongated one for longer routes with three or more characters. (A1A or 28A for example)
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 am

I think what makes the United States extra complicated is that each state, which the exception of the 5 (?) states with a basic circle, uses its own graphic for state routes/highways, making them difficult to tell apart when we insist on using SR, for example, across multiple states. Perhaps the key is to use a unique prefix for each state's roads, such as a state's 2-letter abbreviation. Michigan and Kansas could continue to use their M and K prefixes because the important part is that it is unique from any other state.

Worse are the county and other local roads with shield-style route markers. Many places use the blue and yellow pentagon, but what about the places that use something else? The only convention I've seen for county roads is a CR prefix, in all states, regardless of the actual appearance of the marker used.

In other words, it looks like Waze needs to be able to determine exactly what shield to use from only the information in the street name(s) and country name fields.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Caradellino » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 pm

OK, got a bit mislead by the post of panther quoting the further integration story.

Yes, in both AT and AU we needed the complete set of shields required, down to the possible number of digits (ie. SR- xx and SR-xxx and SR-xxxx).
Because this is now the focus of Waze concerning shields l can't go on with multiple shields and further integration. IMHO you have the best of chances to get the things you mentioned soon after submitting the pattens. ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 pm

sketch wrote:Short answer: Don't change the naming standard just to get shields to work.

In Hawaii we changed our naming syntax BACK to standard form, and the shields no longer display. Probably the fact that our freeways are different (H-X as opposed to I-X) complicates things.

Anyone know how to requisition a fix? Thanks!
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 am

Panther37 wrote:So how did you get this done? I'd like to to see Waze recognize at least SR-XXXX in the USA. Also I wish it would look into the alternate names for shields.

We've been talking to Waze for quite some time about shields, as this thread shows. AUS didn't have any shields and now they have one, which is great. Waze has been clear that shields are much more complicated than most editors think and that changing the criteria to build them isn't as easy as we think. The "SR-##" format has been given to Waze a LONG time ago, and they haven't acted on it yet. We don't know why it takes an act of God to get them to do what should be pretty straightforward.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Panther37 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 am

Caradellino wrote:Hi guys!
Since yesterday (local time) I have my first shields running in Austria too, which is important for me that I can drive now with shields and not just watch them in Australia when scrolling the client ;)

So it's about time to increase integration of shields. What you might not know, is that the issue of having more than one shield at a time is rather critical in Europe: the European Highway grid is just kind of superimposed on existing national routes of the various european Nations. So almost every major freeway has at least two shielded designations. For we in Austria have already taken this into account when coding our street names we'd like to assist Waze in getting multiple shields.

I've given it some thought and came to the conclusion that multiple shields and further integration should be seen together, therefore I forwarded a suggestion to our community manager (For AU I have to share Amit with you, but for Austria I have lizcrime ;))

{attachment=0}integrationdouble.jpg{/attachment}

Upper picture shows todays client display with the actual single shield and the bubbles. The major has not passed the pattern process yet and therefore still the complete street name in the bubble. The lower picture is, as we think it should be. As you can see, if a multiple shield (one shield looking like multiple shields) is generated in a side by side design, this could be used to fill the bubbles and the routing instructions. You might notice, I integrated your suggestion to let go of the hyphens - though I'm using Austria as an example and test area, I'm working on a common solution for all of us (that's the reason for this post here too)
Btw. this situation is real: we start from a freeway with two European Routes and have one leaving the freeway and following the major, while the other stays with the freeway. (a triple shield route splitting in two dual shield routes)

So how did you get this done? I'd like to to see Waze recognize at least SR-XXXX in the USA. Also I wish it would look into the alternate names for shields.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ps_au » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm

"SH-" is one of those abbreviations that hasn't been loaded into Waze which is why some States refuse to change. I've encountered the same problem in New Zealand when I was testing things out there. I have put in a request to Waze Staff to consider this on the next update. Shouldn't' be to hard and will make a lot of countries happy.

The other thing you have to keep in the back of your head when labeling roads is uniformity, and this is perhaps where the CM's & GS's of each state need to come together and agree to a naming format which will work in all states, otherwise it's programming hell for Waze and for editors alike.
ps_au
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor