Shields

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Shields

Postby sketch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:16 am

Well, a couple problem we have faced in trying to get better shields in a place that already has SOME (as opposed to getting shields for the first time): some editors elect not to change their habits so as to avoid breaking the existing shields, and perhaps Waze is less eager to give us more than what we already have.

We've had many a discussion about what to name state highways, but no consensus. Some states use "SR-" because it's short and expands in TTS to "State route"; in Louisiana and Michigan we use LA- and M- as we do in local parlance and on signs; and some states have stuck with "State Hwy" because the local terminology is always "highway" and never "route". Yet others have chosen to retain "State Rte" to keep shields; some are reluctant to change until we have a definite yes on new shield criteria.

Another problem we face if adopting shields for every state is TTS. It's fine in Louisiana and Michigan but for states that don't use their initials or abbreviations in route names, hearing "Em Ess 73" instead of "highway 73" or "Mississippi 73" is off-putting enough to give many editors cause for concern. Doubly so in states where highways are lettered rather than numbered—imagine in Missouri being asked to turn onto "MO-X": "Turn right, at Em Oh Ecks"?

I'm all for it, don't get me wrong, and I'd love to see it happen, but a lot of things have to be done for such a necessarily complicated set of rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 am

PhantomSoul wrote:Sounds like in the US, because of the different ways state roads are colloquially referred to in different regions, we would need to match any of State Hwy XXXX, SR-XXXX, or YY-XXXX, where XXXX is 1-4 alphanumeric characters (some state roads have letter suffixes, particularly in New York) and YY is 2 alphabetic characters matching the 2-letter abbreviations of any of the states or American territories, since many prefer to go by that.

What do other American editors think?

CBenson wrote:I think that would be great. I'm not holding my breath until it happens.

It sounds great to me. I'm not going to be quite so pessimistic—I think half the problem has been solved by Caradellino's work—what exactly we need to ask Waze to do.

Either
  • we take it easy and submit a big list of various abbreviations (yy-x, yy-xx, yy-xxx, y-xxxx for the various two-letter state abbreviations or at least the states that use it; M-x etc. and K-x etc. for Michigan and Kansas; SR-x etc. for states that use it, etc.) and give them all the generic oval state shield, or
  • we get ambitious and give Waze blank shields for each state, and submit 48 states' yy-x, yy-xx, etc. with their state shields, M-x etc. and K-x etc. for those states which use a one-letter route prefix, and SR-x etc. for the generic oval so we have a shield for those segments which are not changed over. We'd also have to ask Waze to run scripts or whatever to change every instance of "State Rte" and "State Hwy" and "SR-" and "SH-", by state, to fit the state abbreviation or initial (where applicable).

The first is pretty easily attainable, I think, and would put us at the same level as every other GPS map I can think of besides Apple Maps. The second may be a pipe dream.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Shields

Postby rleejr79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yes. It is non functional. Waze is supposed to give us more direct control over shield type and info in a future editor version.

Alan,

I know the Wiki says to use the primary route (interstates and such) when a road is considered to be two different routes. Any word if they are looking into dual shields for those sections that have two?

~ I don't always use my phone to respond in forums. When I do, I Swype on my GNex with Tapatalk 2

Image Image My Waze idea: Vote Here Pls!
rleejr79

Postby razor2k » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:00 am

Don't get too excited yet... I noticed a shield yesterday and then no more. Marked it and checked it out in the editor when I got home. Found out it was ONE segment that was named State Hwy,.. the others were named State Rd.

This is our constant headache here in Florida. Hopefully, having the ability to assign shields in WME is a feature coming sooner rather than later :|
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k

Postby ps_au » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm

"SH-" is one of those abbreviations that hasn't been loaded into Waze which is why some States refuse to change. I've encountered the same problem in New Zealand when I was testing things out there. I have put in a request to Waze Staff to consider this on the next update. Shouldn't' be to hard and will make a lot of countries happy.

The other thing you have to keep in the back of your head when labeling roads is uniformity, and this is perhaps where the CM's & GS's of each state need to come together and agree to a naming format which will work in all states, otherwise it's programming hell for Waze and for editors alike.
AU Image ImageNZ Image
ps_au
Australia Waze Champs
Australia Waze Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 am

I think what makes the United States extra complicated is that each state, which the exception of the 5 (?) states with a basic circle, uses its own graphic for state routes/highways, making them difficult to tell apart when we insist on using SR, for example, across multiple states. Perhaps the key is to use a unique prefix for each state's roads, such as a state's 2-letter abbreviation. Michigan and Kansas could continue to use their M and K prefixes because the important part is that it is unique from any other state.

Worse are the county and other local roads with shield-style route markers. Many places use the blue and yellow pentagon, but what about the places that use something else? The only convention I've seen for county roads is a CR prefix, in all states, regardless of the actual appearance of the marker used.

In other words, it looks like Waze needs to be able to determine exactly what shield to use from only the information in the street name(s) and country name fields.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 am

CR is read as county road. It would make sense that PR is read as parish road. The only other state I know of that doesn't have counties is Alaska, which I believe is divided into Boroughs. I am not sure, however, if Alaska has borough roads akin to county roads elsewhere or whether an official BR acronym read as borough road would even make sense.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Off topic, how about the blue and gold pentagon-shaped shields for county roads for the states that use them? I would think that a potential hurdle here is that many states make county roads as "CR-XXXX" where XXXX is a 1-4 character alphanumeric word. However many likely use a shield different from the blue and gold pentagon seen here in NJ and many other states.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:03 am

sketch wrote:we get ambitious and give Waze blank shields for each state, and submit 48 states' yy-x, yy-xx, etc. with their state shields, M-x etc. and K-x etc. for those states which use a one-letter route prefix, and SR-x etc. for the generic oval so we have a shield for those segments which are not changed over. We'd also have to ask Waze to run scripts or whatever to change every instance of "State Rte" and "State Hwy" and "SR-" and "SH-", by state, to fit the state abbreviation or initial (where applicable).

This is good, actually, if we can get it. Not only will it reflect the actual road markers used and putting us on par with iPhone's Apple Maps, but the TTS would actually read them correctly as well, which is something that iPhone's Apple Maps currently cannot handle in places like Michigan and Kansas, with the their M- and K- notation.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Sounds like in the US, because of the different ways state roads are colloquially referred to in different regions, we would need to match any of State Hwy XXXX, SR-XXXX, or YY-XXXX, where XXXX is 1-4 alphanumeric characters (some state roads have letter suffixes, particularly in New York) and YY is 2 alphabetic characters matching the 2-letter abbreviations of any of the states or American territories, since many prefer to go by that.

What do other American editors think?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor