"An error occured while saving" is not helpful

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: "An error occured while saving" is not helpful

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Save more often. One error often causes a chain of errors. You are likely not getting credit for all your edits waiting until you've made over 150 at a time.

The editor does try to point out errors it can pinpoint, but that feature hasn't received much love lately and so many error types are not able to be properly identified.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

"An error occured while saving" is not helpful

Postby felipeportella » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 am

The generic message "An error occured while saving" is not helpful for the editor to fix the problem in the map. This message should provide more details ...

In general I start undoing some changes and trying to save again until it goes ... in terms of usabilitty, this is not the ideal.

Attached you can see this situation.

With me, in general happens when I have made many changes for the same region. Sometimes when fixing a whole area is interesting to only save at the end as the colours helps you to know which segments you already reviewed ...

Thanks
Attachments
generic_error_on_saving.PNG
Generic error message that is not useful
generic_error_on_saving.PNG (171.52 KiB) Viewed 857 times
felipeportella

Re: "An error occured while saving" is not helpful

Postby phidauex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm

The most insidious errors I've found tend to be related to two roads that are sitting on top of each other, but are not connected by a node - separating the junction then reconnecting the points seems to help.

That said, I'm in the habit of saving every 10-20 edits, sometimes sooner. Since updates are only pushed to the clients once a day, you don't have to worry about map users getting your chopped-up partial edits in their routes (unless you don't finish that day).

-Sam
Newbie Editor - Boulder, CO and Seattle, WA
iPhone 4S, VZ, iOS 6.1
phidauex

Return to Waze Map Editor